The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2013, 06:44 PM   #1
02bigdogs17

44 mag rifle with lead bullets.

I have some hard cast 240gr lead semi wadcutters I would like to load and shoot out of my single shot 44 rifle. I want to use Alliant Unique with these. I know there are better powders for rifle but this is what I have. My books are not listing Unique for the rifle does anyone have some load data for this? Thanks
Old November 29, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
rodfac

Any of the handgun listings will be safe to use in your rifle...leading may be an issue however. So long as you don't push the envelope, you'll do all right. You can expect a cpl hundred feet per second jump in muzzle velocities from the hand gun data figures. Size makes a big difference, and your bullets should be 0.001"-0.002" over groove diameter.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 29, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

44 mag rifle with lead bullets.

I shot my favorite medium load through my new Marlin 1894 just fine: 240 gr LSWC over 10.0 gr Unique and standard LP primers.
Old November 30, 2013, 12:25 AM   #4
tomingreeneco

I have a .44 Big Boy and any of the handgun loads work well in it. For best performance choose one of the slower burning handgun powders.
Winchester 296/Hodgdon H110 have worked well for me.
Old November 30, 2013, 09:30 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Unique will work OK in a rifle, but is not optimal. One reason you can't find recipes in most published sources. Light loads of fast burning powders that shoot well in handguns, tend to stick bullets in rifles. Loads that produce more than 850 FPS outta a handgun should be safe.
Old November 30, 2013, 11:55 AM   #6
totaldla

Same as the pistol - no difference.
Old November 30, 2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Clark

I shot cast bullets from my old Ruger 44 carbine and then jacketed. The muzzle peeled back like a banana.

Some old guy that collects 44 carbines tells me there are no carbine barrels left.

I got a new old stock 444 marlin lever action barrel from Numrich, cut the rear of the chamber off, revealing a 44 mag chamber. I drilled a gas hole, TIG welded in a gas fixture, and now I have the heaviest and most accurate 44 carbine around.

The moral is that old 44 carbine barrels are thin, and can make real trouble if they get Lead in the bore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger 44 carbine gamma 12-16-2011.jpg (47.4 KB, 2602 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?