The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 17, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
number 9

Riflescope dealers who would you use?

I have made a decision on the scope but would like some input on which dealer to use. I just don't want to order from a dealer that says they are in stock and they aren't, causing a longer wait than necessary.

I'm looking at the Vortex viper 6-24-50 moa.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Leonard
Old February 17, 2013, 02:12 PM   #2
sholling

Always call and check stock especially now with all the panic buying.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Saltydog235

SWFA would be a good place to start. Natchez is good too, they just don't carry Vortex to my knowledge. Midway normally has a good supply. Brownells always has a stock. Though anything these days is a crap shoot on whether they have it or not.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
EFMAN2K3

There is a post from today stating a Vortex Viper was ordered from Midway on Sunday and it was on the gentleman's porch by Wednesday. I believe it was a post from Palmetto-Pride.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Fargazer

Graf's has excellent optics pricing if you get a brand they carry (even better with a C&R); unfortunately, Vortex isn't one of those brands. Do check them out if you have other scope brands you are looking at.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:44 PM   #6
number 9

Midway, Joebob's, and Brownells are out of stock, I'll call swfa tomorrow to check status.

The psa 6-24-50 in second focal seems popular. There are some ffp in stock, around $200 more. I just don't need to take that large a step right now.

Any other rocks I can turn over now?

Thanks, Leonard
Old February 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #7
shootniron

Craigslist
Old February 17, 2013, 09:26 PM   #8
USCS

I had good results with Bear Basin Outfitters.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9
number 9

Will call bearbasin in the am. Optics Planet site states expecting delivery but not in stock.

Will resume the search tomorrow.

Leonard
Old February 18, 2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Captains1911

I always check SWFA. You could always call before placing the order to confirm the item is in stock. Whatever you do, DO NOT order from Optics Planet....
Old February 18, 2013, 12:22 PM   #11
SSA

CameralandNY shows the Vortex in stock.

I've had 100% good results buying optics from CameralandNY, Natchezss, Amazon, and Optics Planet.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Murauder

I ordered my vortex through amazon. Seller was optics planet though. Got here in less than a week.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Captains1911

Quote:
I've had 100% good results buying optics from CameralandNY, Natchezss, Amazon, and Optics Planet.
I know I'm not alone with my experiences with Optics Planet. They are notorious for showing items in stock, then sending an email after the order has been placed informing that the item is not in stock and that shipment will be delayed as result.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:26 PM   #14
SSA

I read that about optics planet, so I used to call and ask them if something was in stock. Now they have a 'check availability' button right under the 'add to cart' button.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Saltydog235

Optics Planet sucks. Their prices are usually higher than other more shooter friendly stores. Their customer service and technical know how advice is pathetic, I'd rather buy from Bass Pro and one of the High School kids they employ as pros than OP.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:24 PM   #16
number 9

Kudos to Mounting Solutions Plus !

I found them on a Google search as I was checking suppliers. I had forget I had used them several years ago. I called to check availability of items about 9 am. Did a phone order as all items were in stock. All items arrived on UPS this afternoon, Wednesday. Better than expected customer service. In the environment we all find ourselves in these days it is indeed welcome to have something go exactly as planned.

Also on a related note I made a small order with Midway yesterday,Tuesday after noon and received an e mail that they were getting the order together. Today,Wed. got a shipping notice with a ups tracking #. That order is slated for a Thursday delivery so kudos to them as well.

For those not aware of Mounting Solutions Plus check them out. As the name implies they know more than one way to skin a cat.

I may have used all my luck for this year up in three days, but this operation went exactly as planned

Thanks to all who posted with recommendations and tips. Will post back with results after installation.

Thanks, Leonard
Old February 20, 2013, 09:00 PM   #17
WWWJD

opticsbestbuy.com... the web site just looks shady, but that's where I got my Vortex PST when everyone else was out of them. Called them first, got an english speaking Texan. Was surprised. Same prices as MidwayUSA and opticsplanet.

Ditto on Optics Planet BTW, I've never had a good experience with them, even with the check stock button. I've written them off.

I know you've gotten your stuff already... just figured I'd chime in anyway.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old February 20, 2013, 11:19 PM   #18
ronl

Swfa, Liberty Optics and Optics Planet are where I've purchased scopes and did not have a bad deal with any.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Mauser8mm

Vortex

I just ordered a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40 with the V-Plex Reticle. They have an unlimited lifetime warranty. Haven't received the scope but from what I've heard I feel I am going to have a good experience with this company.

Reliable Optics Companies

-Vortex
-Zeiss
-Bushnell
-Leupold

There are many more, those are just some.

Unreliable Optics Companies

-NcStar
-BSA
-Barska

Once again, there are many more!
Old February 25, 2013, 12:46 AM   #20
alex0535

I have only ordered from them once but I bought a new Burris Fastfire III off of FEDtacticaldirect.com and the price was so good that I would consider comparing their prices to others. Might of just got lucky, otherwise service was great.

If you want a fastfire, worth checking out because their prices are good on them. The shipping and handling charge is a little high but I still got it for a good price.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:09 PM   #21
Cowboy_mo

Before anyone buys a scope, I really suggest you check out CameralandNY.

Check out the price on the scope Number 9 bought. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...iperpst6-24x50

Then check out the price on the site where he bought his.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...T-624F1-A.html
I think $200 difference is a lot.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:38 PM   #22
number 9

I've definitely got no beef with Cameraland, but I suspect the prior post comparing the two companies are not apples to apples as $749-- is what I paid for mine, and was the across the board price average for all I researched. Also having said that I believe the difference is comparing a first focal plane to a second focal plane. However I could be wrong.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:52 PM   #23
VegaSSG32

Number9, your correct, the 1st Focal plane is 200.00 more than second.

Check out this link for MS,,, Same price as Cameraland...
http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...T-624S1-A.html

The link that was posted by cowboy was for a FFP (First Focal Plane)
Honest mistake tho...

Hope you enjoy your set up,,, Great scope for a great price!!!

Last edited by VegaSSG32; February 28, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:11 AM   #24
Huffmanite

Some good suggestions made for places to buy a scope. As for me, Natchez Shooters Supply or Grafs and Sons has usually been a good place for me to purchase a scope. Natchez shipping is a might high in price, but their prices for scopes I've bought were lower than any other place I checked before placing my order.