The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 22, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Josh Smith

NEW TOY!

Hello,

I was out looking to do some trading today.

I had in mind a .410 double shotty, but anything that caught my eye would work.

Wound up with this:

I've never owned a muzzleloader before. This one was used, but aside from a bit of rust, looked good.

I would have liked to have had a wooden stock and a lefty action, but for the deal I couldn't pass it up. Besides the rifle, I got 200 percussion caps, an unopened container of Shockey's Gold Sticks (the man said they wouldn't work in a sidelock, but they seem to function just fine), and 60 saboted 99% pure lead bullets.

I took it out and shoved one of the powder sticks down the tube after verifying there wasn't a charge in it already. Then I put a wad in it.

Checking for function before live ammo is used is a priority for me.

The cap went "pop" and the main charge didn't light. At this point I was thinking "crap, the guy was right." I tried a few more primers to to avail.

Decided to take a pick to the nipple again, and I paid closer attention. It didn't seem to go all the way through. Hmmm...

So the nipple came off. It was clogged with rust. I mean, it looked like somebody had poured iodine in there.

I had to use a drill and actual bit to get it out.

So I went back out, put the nipple back on, primed it, and the charge went "POOF!"

Awesomeness.

So this time I tried an actual bullet.

"BOOM!" Nice kick, about like a light 20 gauge, if that.

It's a 1:48" twist, so I'll probably just end up making some cotton patches and using .452" bullets I cast for my 1911 in this thing. They should work just fine on deer if I go this season.

I'd like to shoot balls, and though I know it won't be as accurate as a slower twist, I figure I'll experiment.

Should be fun!

Josh
Old September 22, 2010, 07:16 PM   #2
noelf2

Looks like a Traditions "deer hunter". I have the flintlock version in 50 cal. Sounds like it wasn't cleaned properly if the nipple had rust in it (never took the nipple out when cleaning it). You should take the side access screw out and clean the entire channel to the barrel as well. May be some pitting in there. And you plan to use cotton patches with a .452 bullet for a 1911? Never heard of anyone doing that before. Bet your accuracy will pretty much suck.
Old September 22, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Josh - congrats on your "find"! I also like to "troll" and see what trouble I can get in to when I hit different places . . . you never know what you're going to find! Sorry you had problems with the nipple and drum but she'll clean up and you'll have a lot of fun with it I'm sure. After all . . . anything that "stuffs from the front is fun!". Enjoy and I hope you have success when you go hunting!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 23, 2010, 03:24 AM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf2
Looks like a Traditions "deer hunter".
I think that it looks more like a CVA Bobcat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf2
And you plan to use cotton patches with a .452 bullet for a 1911? Never heard of anyone doing that before. Bet your accuracy will pretty much suck.
El Chivato should try shooting those bullets with a sabot since the rifle has a 1 in 48" twist and sabots can be puchased separately.
Old September 23, 2010, 04:33 AM   #5
Josh Smith

Quote:
El Chivato should try shooting those bullets with a sabot since the rifle has a 1 in 48" twist and sabots can be puchased separately.
Hello,

I'm planning to run to Dunhams sometime today and see what they have. I know they have round ball.

I don't think I remember seeing separate sabots. Will probably have to order those online.

Thanks!

Josh
Old September 23, 2010, 02:21 PM   #6
noelf2

Sabots for a 1:48 twist aren't really ideal either, but you may have success with them. Don't buy a boat load at first. With 1:48, your best bet is round ball or conical, no sabot. I'm interested to see how it works for you.

Really looks a lot like my traditions. I'd bet they're made by the same manufacturer (in Spain??).
Old September 23, 2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Josh Smith

Hi Gents,

I got some round balls today.

Played around with my new balls, and found they like light to medium weight cotton T-shirt material with a bit of spit on the patches. Odd I guess, but it works.

I found after five shots with a non-lubed patch, accuracy went to hell. If I spit on each patch, it stayed clean enough for 10 consecutive shots.

Here is what I did:

Sitting, 50yds.

I think this is good for a muzzleloader with open sights from a sitting position. I do not honestly know. Thoughts?

What kind of speed do you suppose I'm producing with 50gns of Shockey Gold under a 177gn LRB? The Shockey's in stick form, but I crush it up a bit with the ramrod, so it has complete combustion.

My final comment is that I'm just really glad this is performing with round balls. I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist (thus the sidelock, and only using the Shockey sticks because that's what was included; I will be switching to Pyrodex or 777 when they're gone - can't find real BP around here). I was hoping I could use these and not have to go to Minie Ball. This just seems, well, more fun. Also, a very kind gent is sending me a mold for this ball, so I'll not often be out of ammunition!

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks,

Josh
Old September 24, 2010, 02:22 AM   #8
CajunPowder

From my point of view, all you need to do is replace the target with game. You'll get that rifle dead on soon and you can shoot very well. Plus it's obvious you both respect and really like that smoke pole.

T-Shirt with SPIT, that's grand, too real, too real.

I just got a crazy good deal on a Hawken in wonderful condition so these threads and field reports are important for me, thank you.

That you used the patch 10 times is fascinating.

Your shooting is exceptional from a seated position on the first outing with a new arm. I hope you can show us what it does on a bag from 100 yards when you get a game load worked up.