The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1
skizzums

extreme bullets hp's

http://s998.photobucket.com/user/nwa...11124.jpg.html
http://s998.photobucket.com/user/nwa...c83d8.jpg.html
http://s998.photobucket.com/user/nwa...tml?sort=3&o=0

I have seen several people inquire about xtreme plated hollow points and expansion. The general consensus has been that these are not for expansion as they are accuracy. I had lots of loads to test today so i thought i would try a few of these just for FYI. heres the results. these were shot loaded plus p from 15 feet into a five gallon bucket of cornstarch flour and water substrate. ususally provides good expansion with my lead cast bullet. so as you can see not an expanding bullet, but i can atest that the hps from xtreme are far superior in accuracy over a standard round nose. 124gr .355diameter btw. hope someone wanted this info

Last edited by skizzums; December 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old December 20, 2013, 08:14 AM   #2
ATPBULLETS

Good pics and info...whats up with that ruptured case (loaded)...?
Old December 20, 2013, 11:48 AM   #3
skizzums

its just a ruptured case i was using earler as an example of what to look for with split cases, i just happened to conveniently have it in my pocket
Old December 21, 2013, 10:01 PM   #4
GermanShep

Quote:
but i can atest that the hps from xtreme are far superior in accuracy over a standard round nose
What type of testing have you done that shows them to be more accurate and at what distances?

I have been interested in the extreme plated hollow point as I have been seeing them in my LGS here lately. I figured they would not expand, but didn't realize that they would be inherently more accurate than their RN bullets. Therefore, I was kind of puzzled as to what benefits they provided to justify a slightly higher price tag.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:58 AM   #5
skizzums

only testing i have done is see my groups tighten up, 10 yards and 25 yards, bullet behind 4,2gr TG

nothing scientific, just shot better for me than the round noses i have been using of the same grain, i order straight from extremes website and they are only like 3 bucks more than the RNs, just give em a try and see for yourself, they feel really good firing and have a very thick coating

on retreived bulletes the rifleing didnt even break through the plating and the back of the bullet did not burn through
i have loaded dozens of different bullets in 9mm and these were my best shooting, 2nd place is Penn bullets, but they are too costly and i had a small issue with a few of them in terms of consistancy, but they were purty accurate
Old December 22, 2013, 09:30 AM   #6
g.willikers

I no longer have anything in 9mm, but I once did some tests similar to yours.
The most accurate bullets, by far, were 147 grain truncated cone, flat points, sized .357, of local manufacturer.
About the same quality as many others available over the 'net, though.
Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke just in my gun, I brought a bunch to a local match and passed them around to other 9mm shooters to test, using a variety of guns.
Glock, Browning HP, CZ (and clones) and 1911.
They were a trusting bunch of folks.
The bullets proved excellent in all.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
skizzums

i actually just grabbed 500 of that same 147gr truncated flatop, bought to load them up under 5gr of hs-6 in carbine, have heard great things, excited to have a round that shoots that well but strong enough to take care of busiiness if needed