The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Newton24b

factory crimping question

i may not be the brightest at this time of day.

when i look at my factory winchester super x 150 grain hollow points for my 30-30, the crimp is heavy. the case mouth is crushed down to half the thickness and the bullets stay put nomatter how many times i run them through.

the remington ones arent crimped like that at all, and do get set back after a few dozen cycles.

so the question is, why doesnt someone use that heavy duty crimp on light weight pistol bullets and just alleviate the crimp jump associated with certain magnum loads in light alloy guns?
Old December 12, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
PA-Joe

Because you don't need such a heavy crimp. The manufacturers need it for liability protection.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
243winxb

Light Alloy Revolvers that Jump Crimp.

Quote:
the crimp jump associated with certain magnum loads in light alloy guns?
There is a warning not to use ammo with lead bullets loaded at +P levels, in the S&W 337PD. When lead is compressed .005" or more, it will not spring back as much as the brass case. This leaves a some what loose crimp when compared to a jacketed bullet.

Last edited by 243winxb; December 12, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:46 PM   #4
CrustyFN

Just curious why you would cycle your ammo a few dozen times and not shoot it?
Old December 13, 2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Tom Matiska

Quote:
Just curious why you would cycle your ammo a few dozen times and not shoot it?

Typical hunting scenerio... load for the walk in... unchamber to climb stand, cross fence, etc... rechamber.... use same rounds tomorrow.... few days into the season the rounds in coat pocket have loose bullets.. Multiple trips up the ramp and against the top of the chamber in my 94 is my only experience with crimp failures in a centerfire rifle.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Newton24b

i dont like to leave it around with a roudn in the chamber. dont need the cat to shoot me during lunch.

anyways, these are copper jacketed bullets. its a heavy crimp, why not do that on a revolver?
Old December 13, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
serf 'rett

Some folks do mash 'em.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:00 AM   #8
drail

Because it is unneccessary if the case neck tension is sufficient.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:37 PM   #9
mikld

They do. Look at any factory .44 Magnum ammo and you'll see a good roll crimp. Semi-auto ammo uses a taper crimp, but neck tension (on all cartridges) outweighs crimp for holding the bullet in place. Also, some crimps aren't as appearant as others; I can put a collet type crimp on my ammo and it's not as visible as a roll, taper, or profile crimp. If a cartridge needs a crimp, you can pretty much bet the factory stuff will have it...
Old December 13, 2012, 07:51 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Quote:
Typical hunting scenerio... load for the walk in... unchamber to climb stand, cross fence, etc... rechamber.... use same rounds tomorrow.... few days into the season the rounds in coat pocket have loose bullets.. Multiple trips up the ramp and against the top of the chamber in my 94 is my only experience with crimp failures in a centerfire rifle.
Well I guess you can tell from my question that I'm not a hunter. I'm more of a competition and target shooter. Every round that gets chambered comes out with an empty case. Thank's for the explanation.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:22 AM   #11
Tom Matiska

Crusty.... worst I've witnessed was an 80+ old geezer with 32 Win who had some bullets fallling out of the brass. Seems he had been "hunting" (taking the gun for a walk) with the same ammo for last 20 years. Dunno how many cycles were on those rounds, but it was too many
Old December 14, 2012, 08:40 PM   #12
CrustyFN

Quote:
Crusty.... worst I've witnessed was an 80+ old geezer with 32 Win who had some bullets fallling out of the brass. Seems he had been "hunting" (taking the gun for a walk) with the same ammo for last 20 years. Dunno how many cycles were on those rounds, but it was too many
Wow that's pretty bad.