The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 14, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
B.N.Real

Taurus Stainless 709,Kahr CW9 or Smith 642 revolver for pocket carry

Which would you choose?

They are all about the same price.

The Taurus has a manual safety,the Kahr does'nt but the Kahr is thinner and has a stainless steel trigger and butter smooth trigger action (although it's a mile long).

The Taurus Slim comes with two mags,the Kahr -one- at that price point.

I like the 9mm in a compact pistol because the 40 Smith can be a handfull of recoil and I don't want that.

Recoil out of a semi auto is different for me then a revolver and the 642's recoil would'nt bother me at all.

The Smith 642 is bone simple-five shots when you need them,almost no chance of a reliability issue and can be held loaded for an extremely long time before you have to do anything to it.

But it's only five shots and unless you are a professional pistol shooter,you won't use a speedloader faster then another shooter can reload either the Taurus or Kahr.

This gun is to be a primary everyday carry weapon that is shot very little and carried alot.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

Well, because of my past experience with Taurus (horrible) I would immediately remove them from consideration. Next, the Kahr, I've owned a CW9 and I liked everything except for two factors, the aggressive grip checkering and the sling shot restrictions. Some people can sling shot their Kahr's all day with no issues, that wasn't the case for me. Lastly, the 642, which I consider to be the best of your choices. I carry a 637 and absolutely love it for all the reasons you mentioned and more. Add a Crimson trace to the 642 and you have one heck of a sweet carry set up.

Here's my 637 in a Mika pocket holster.

Edit... Forgot to add, you are right about the slow reloading. That's probably the biggest draw back to the snub nose, IMO. Speed loaders are quick but bulky, which leaves speed strips. I've been carrying snubs for a while now and my speed strip reloading time, while its improved with practice, is still slow and sometimes clumsy.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; January 14, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

I love my Kahr CW9 and feel it's a great starter CCW gun... But I never carry it in a pocket and don't consider ANY of the 3 you listed small enough to be true pocket guns... (Maybe the 642 for some, but not me... Everybody's different.)

Have you held any of them? Tried them in your pocket?

If you're serious about the pocket carry requirement I suggest you look at smaller.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

S&W revolver would be my choice
Old January 14, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
plom

I know your dilema, had the same for few months ago.
I regulary carry a pistol for personal defense and in the last 15 years I've been in search for the "perfect" carry pistol.
I've had many kinds of pistols, CZ Rami, Glock 19 or 26, Walther PPK and the last 9mm a Kahr CW9. A great compact pistol, very accurate.

But here is my experience, in a stress situation, when you have to pull and fire your gun in a fight situation, with one hand, a 9mm pistol is very prone to jam by limp wristing (try to shoot a compact 9mm pistol with one hand and flexed arm). So I went to J frame revolver and THEN I saw the light!
I can't figure why I didn't took the step before!
For me a J frame is the best choice. If you're confronted to a fight situation, your attacker will be very close, maybe in contact with you, then reliability is crucial. Here the revolver wins.
You might be forced to shoot from the pocket of your jacket and here again the 642 wins.
Be aware that most "civilian" self defense situations almost never involv reload. Even if you're attacked by 2 or 3 BG, if you shoot one, most of the time the other BG won't play heroes.
As Police officer I've been carrying a revolver for years and seen many fellow LEO survive bad situations with their revolvers.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Toney

What about the cm9? I just got one!!!
Old January 15, 2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Taurus is pretty hit or miss. My M85 was a miss and I'd suggest staying clear of them. I've never owned a Kahr, but I don't believe it is the same class as the S&W.

As far as the reloads, I read some palce that most SD situations are 5 shots or less. I'd take a reliable firearm over a fast reload with a questionable gun every time.
Old January 15, 2012, 08:45 AM   #8
B.N.Real

Thanks,guys (gals too if your out there),you just confirmed what I was thinking all along.

I have to have it work,I'll be carrying forever (I hope) before I ever need it,I've carried snub revolvers in my pockets before -no issue there and I will have a ccw license anyway,I'm a legal carrier-so it's the 642 no lock that wins.

Thanks everyone for you opinions,I was just making sure.

I could have made another choice but this is what I will be using not only for me but for my wife who is physically disabled and not able to fight or flee at all.

Thanks again.
Old January 15, 2012, 08:59 AM   #9
KMAX

Good Choice

I think you made a good choice. It is the one I made. I had a Taurus 740 Slim and as you said it was too much recoil and the sight were horrible. The 9mm would have been more manageable but the sights were (I read) also horrible. I shot a CW9 and it felt good and the sights seemed okay but the 642 felt better to me. Also as many here will tell you S&Ws never fail. Seriously, I think the revolver may be better for your wife because there is no slide to rack. I still believe good revolvers have less potential for malfunction. Also I just like the 38 Special just because.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:35 AM   #10
catnphx

I've got a S&W 640-1 .357 and a Kahr CW9 ... love them both but I carry the CW9 everyday.

The CW9 is easy to conceal, 7+1 capacity, easier to reload, I've had no malfunctions in 1,500 rounds ... just a great gun. I love my j-frame too but the CW9 just is way better to CCW in my opinion for me.

Either way, 642 is a good choice too. Personally, as long as you carry and practice then either will be good for you.

Good luck!!
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old January 15, 2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Shadi Khalil

Good choice B.N, I'm sure you and your wife will love it. I would suggest checking out Buds prices. You are in Va, correct?
Old January 15, 2012, 02:23 PM   #12
B.N.Real

Shadi,you must be psychic,Budsgunshop.com is indeed where I will buy it from on their excellent three month layaway program.

I've bought from them before and everything went very smoothly except for the 638 I bought.

My old work busted up hands could not control the small hammer tang and it kept slipping out and slamming on the firing pin.

I never loaded or fired that gun,sold it for almost what I bought it for through a local gun store and am now going back and getting the 642 I should have bought in the first place.

I was wanting a compact 9 in it's place for pocket comfort reasons ( no cylinder bulge-flat sides)but I figured I'd see what others thought about the semi versus revolver thing in this particular instance.

The flip side is that a revolver is super easy to give to my wife is she feels she needs it,I'd still have my Taurus Model 85 Ultralight (or maybe she'd take the Taurus-yea,I know,not a chance) for me which has been a great gun for me.

"This gun IS LOADED DEAR.Honey,just aim and pull the trigger if you are attacked.",she's shot them before and feels comfortable with them.

This is going to be my 'slip in the pocket and forget it gun' so I think the 642,which Smith has refined into a 'just the right size' revolver will hit the spot.

Heck,time goes by,I might buy my wife one of her own.

I'll have to practice long and hard with speedloaders and speedstrips which I should probably video and put on YouTube for the comic value of just how awful I'll look doing it,the first several hundred times but I should be able to get it down to pretty quick.

Thanks Shadi and everyone else for your replies.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:30 AM   #13
ghalleen

Well, I'm not a huge S&W fan. Too pricey for what you get...

Between the other two, I have a Taurus TCP and the Kahr CW9. I love them both. However, if I had to choose between them, it would be the Kahr.
Old January 17, 2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Water-Man

Another to seriously consider is the Ruger LCR.
Old January 17, 2012, 07:07 AM   #15
bdb benzino

Quote:
Well, I'm not a huge S&W fan. Too pricey for what you get
You can get a NIB no-lock 642 for under $400 a lot of places now. The Kahr is a little more and the Taurus is just a little less, so not really sure what you mean
Old January 17, 2012, 08:33 AM   #16
kalevatom

I speak from experience on the 709. Don't buy one. We had 2. My wife sold hers and bought a LC9. I bought a S&W 3913, which you might want to consider.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:23 AM   #17
hpg

CW9. The sights are not that great on the Taurus Slim
Old January 17, 2012, 10:19 AM   #18
Jamie B

Slap a set of CT Lasergrips on that 642, and is is an awesome carry piece.

I generally carry a Kahr PM45, but that SW 642 is used when ultra-light carry is required.

Great gun!
Old January 17, 2012, 11:09 AM   #19
dalegribble

i have 2 snubbie s&w 38's that i like. they are dependable and accurate but a little lumpy compared to a flat semi auto and they are just 5 shots.
i have a taurus 709 slim that i like very much. it is dependable and accurate and holds 7 +1 rounds. i like to carry the 709 and it has become my main carry gun.
i don't have any experience with the other semi mentioned but i do like the manual safety on my taurus and look at that as a plus over the other model.

i do try to match my cc to the weather, clothing, situations and other factors so i have a few different handguns i keep in my rotation.
2- 38 s&w snubbies
1- 357 rossie snub
1- springfield 45 micro 1911
1- springfield 45 champion 1911
1- taurus pt-145
1- 380 amt backup
1- 9mm taurus 709 slim

my 3 most carried guns are the amt 380 and my taurus 709 and my springer 45 micro. often my amt 380 sits in my pocket when i carry one of my other guns.

as for all the negative taurus comments, i own a few different taurus pistols and revolvers and have never had a single problem with any of them. i have friends and family members that own taurus handguns and they have never had a single problem with them. i'm sure taurus has had some individule guns sent back for problems as does colt, kimber and probably any other gun maker out there.
Old January 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #20
2damnold4this

The 642 is my choice for pocket carry. I also have a G26 that I used to carry in my pocket but it was difficult to draw quickly. I some times carry the G26 in an owb holster under a jacket or second shirt.

The Glock is easier to draw from its holster but it isn't nearly as easy to carry as the 642. Lately, I've been sticking to the 642 just for ease of carry even with jacket wearing weather.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:53 PM   #21
excelerater

642 would be my pick,then the KAHR
Old January 17, 2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Grant D

I agree on the 642. I used to carry a 637, but my wife stuck it in her purse so now I carry my model 60 snubbie, or a LCP
Old January 18, 2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Shadi Khalil

Glad to help