The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2005, 07:03 PM   #1
cptmclark

Heavy loads, revisited

I wanted to reply to the post regarding disclaimers but found it locked. I'm one guilty of having some loads, in answer to a question, that exceed book specs, and hopefully, but not necessarily folks will note the remark that they are OVER SPECK AND JUST FOR INFORMATION. May be best to not mention them, if some reader is likely to try it, and a little more would have to be better, right?

The post about duplicating light-mag loads by tapping in compressed loads brought up a question for me again. I have a 700 with a really long throat in 3006. Working up loads for the 165 Sierra boattail, I found that with the bullets set out, the groups started coming in at max book charges, bullets set just short of the lands, with no pressure signs, either in primer or case measurement until way over book max. My most accurate load (IN THIS RIFLE) (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, IT MAY BE DANGEROUS IN YOUR RIFLE) is 61 grains of IMR 4350 in a light batch of cases. With each lot of powder I work up again. Chrono velocity rise is steady, and this load gives about 3000 fps. That's light mag velocity, and maybe I can quit worrying. Here is the question. Does somebody know if a listed max charge in a compressed load may be max because of case volume and not necessarily bacause of pressure. Books that show pressure show max loads with great variations in pressures for the "max" load listed with some powders. Even though this load drops deer and antelope like lightening, I always am concerned because the books say max is less.

Any insights would be appreciated. Scoldings are accepted too.
Old February 1, 2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Ackley Improved User

Hot loads

I've loaded as much as 63 grains of IMR4350 with 165 gr. bullets in my 30-06 Ackley Improved - it popped the primer. Too much pressure! So be careful, because at 61 grains of IMR4350 behind a 165 grain bullet in a standard '06, you're running close to primer popping pressures. Your velocity reflects this pressure as well - check out the NECO internal ballistic program.

I'd suggest going to a slower burning powder, like R22 or R25. You'll get the same velocity with less pressure, although you'll need to tap in the powder and compress it.

Published loads in all the manuals are very conservative because of product liability issues. The manufacturers must be careful of law suits, because there are many old and/or poorly manufactured guns in 30-06.

I would recommend pushing the envelop only in modern bolt action guns from first-rate manufacturers or gunsmiths.
Old February 5, 2005, 08:42 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

humbug

Published maximum loads in manuals are not the realm of lawyers, they are the product of ballisticians discovering maximums due to pressure checking or actual case observations in actual guns.

SAAMI maximums, but no less real.

When I 'push' I at least understand the ramifications, and that I am totally responsible for my actions.
When another handloader decides to 'push' I hope it is also done with a full understanding of the ramifications.

My guns are different than everyone elses, and I never-ever-ever forget that.
Safety first.

And yes, screw SAAMI (.....still echoing.....)
Old February 5, 2005, 08:48 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

oh yeah, answer the question

Safe from your gun?
That's the one that matters.

I will admit to having on occassion exceeded recommended maximums, "maximum" being pressure, not volume.

(sounds like you're a very smart and cautious handloader, and the load you're concerned with is safe from your gun)
Old February 5, 2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Ackley Improved User

Hard to believe, but true.

cptmclark, for fun, I went to the NECO Internal Ballistic Program and plugged in the following variables:

165 gr. Sierra BT
61.0 grs. of IMR 4350
24 inch barrel
30-06 Springfield

Results:

Predicted muzzle velocity = 3007 fps.
Predicted max. pressure = 63,286 psi.

Amazing. This happens over-over-over with this program.

Conclusion: That's a very nice maximum load for the 30-06!