The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 13, 2000, 03:47 PM   #1
Futo Inu

but a Garand for example is only $450?

I know, supply and demand; there are no more surplus BARs, but there are many Garands. The BARs are new manufacture. BUT, seriously, why does it cost THAT much to create a weapon whose specs have been generally known for decades, when other military semi-auto rifles newly manufactured are nowhere near this expensive?
Old January 13, 2000, 05:15 PM   #2
Hal

My suspicion is that there is a lot of hands on mfg to produce what should be a stamp 'em out by the bazillions arm that has a very limited customer base. Honestly, from the examples I have seen, the Garand is the superior arm in terms of fit and finish. The BAR's have been pretty rough, and appear to be more than a handful for a semi. I believe you are paying $2000.00 for the "history" and around $995.00 for the BAR.
Old January 13, 2000, 06:33 PM   #3
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"

For the same reason a Harley costs $20,000.... limited production, stylish, lots of steel, and made in America.

Consider Springfield's M1A it costs around $1,200 these days and weighs about 9 lbs. A BAR weighs about 30 lbs, making the BAR cheaper on a per pound basis.

Also note the M1A's bolt, op rod, trigger group, etc are in fact GI parts that were produced in the mid to late 60s. Because the M14 had such a short service life the warehouses are full of new parts that were made and never used. Springfield buys/bought this stuff as surplus from the Government for a song.

BARs have been out of production since the 40s, the warehouses are empty, (and as far as I know) every part for this new BAR is new made from scratch and good machinists make $20 to $30 and hour.

The CMP sells surplus M1 Garands for $420. But these are rifles that are well used and over 40 years old. The CMP pays about $100 apiece for them from the Government. To make M1s today with all new MILSPEC parts and forged receivers would cost at least $2000.

Bottomline: $2,900 is a tidy sum but if the quality is there I can see where it comes from. -- Kernel

Old January 13, 2000, 06:37 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

First off, any limited production item will be more expensive, per unit, to manufacture than a mass-production critter.

As you look at prices for custom rifles, compare these with Rem/Win/Ruger/etc. three to five times the cost, or more, right?

If that Garand were totally of new manufacture by a small company, it would cost a lot more than $495. Now, I don't know what's new and what's ex-GI on these BARs, but they're obviously limited in parts and in sales.

One other factor which might enter in: I recall an article about a guy who bought the rights and licenses to build a small airplane, similar to a Cessna 172. He stated that he could make a profit on a VFR version at $42,500 each. However, his corporate liability insurance premium was 50%, or $21,250; ergo, a sales price of $63,750...

The same problem exists on down to oil-pressure gages: $12 at your autoparts store for your car; $75 if rated for airplanes, approved by the FAA...

No simple nor easy answer.

Art
Old January 13, 2000, 08:13 PM   #5
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I've hear NOTHING but bad reviews of the semi-auto versions and "manually operated" Rifles made from surplus BAR parts, from complaints of mis-matched parkerizing to failures to feed/fire/parts breaking.

If i ever got a LOT more money than sense I'd love to get an NFA BAR.. but $3000 for one that doesn't work.. ain't pretty and has BAD workers and Customer service making them seems like a big waste.

Last 3 Full auto BAR's at a denver Gun show ran 18-20 THOUSAND a piece.

Dr.Rob