The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 18, 2002, 09:16 AM   #1
ACP230

Experience With Reisings?

Have any posters here had experience with Reisings? I've shot a couple and generally like them. Too bad magazines are so expensive.
Old February 18, 2002, 10:37 AM   #2
KSFreeman

Sure, Hoopeston (Illinois [it's near the Indiana border due west of Lafayette) Police Department weapon. It was interesting from a historical perspective. Parts can be a problem.

I prefer a Sten for just shooting but [old man voice] everything is so expensive now. Did you have a specific question?
Old February 18, 2002, 12:43 PM   #3
SDC

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] is the story behind the 12 round mags?!?! Who in their right mind uses a 12 round mag in an SMG?
Old February 18, 2002, 08:07 PM   #4
ACP230

Basically I was looking for reactions to shooting with Reisings. I have had good luck with them, although they are a bit difficult to control in FA. I read that the double column 20 round mags had feeding problems, so the Services had them squeezed down to 12 round single columns to improve that. I have not had seen bad feeding problems in the limited amount of shooting I've done. When there were stoppages they seemed to trace to ammunition problems rather then the mags.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:45 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

No bad experiences here - - -

- - -but my experience is limited to shooting about three examples. All were in excellent condition and spotlessly clean.

Two of these were fired during a time when I was shooting MAC 10 and MAC 11 guns, so the rate of fire on the Reisings didn't seem a problem with me.

The Reising gun was was frequently furnished for industrial plant and railway bridge guards during WW-II. I wonder if the 12-round magazine might have been a desirable way of keeping some of them from indiscriminate spraying.

Back when Reisings could be had for extremely reasonable prices, I was too infected with the bad publicity about their reliability, and never bothered to obtain one. But then, I was he same way about the MAC-series, too. It just didn't make sense to spend more on the tax stamp than the purchase price of the gun. (Have I mentioned that I'm on OLD geezer?)

Best,
Johnny
Old February 22, 2002, 02:31 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Reisings

They were used a long time ago for the PEEvent(Premature Ejaculation Event) at Second Chance. There were 6 of them with the 20 round mag. ( I found them extremely controllable on FA. Nice gun. I need several.) One of the staff guys, who didn't know any better, decided he'd help clean them at the end of the day. Mixed the parts up. All Reising parts were hand fitted at the factory to each weapon. They became Jam-a-matics.
Old February 22, 2002, 04:46 PM   #7
ACP230

Were you "The Shootin' Judge" from Canada?
I shot the PEE with those Reisings. They worked fine for me, but I didn't work so well. I have had a bit more experience now, but I still find the Ingram M6 more controllable for a .45 subgun.