The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 15, 2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Lower

Can anybody tell me about Magnum Research's BFRs?

Are they really good? What country are they from (as I understand it, Magnum Research is merely an importer)? What does BFR stand for?

Was thinking of getting their .44 Magnum 5" revolver. It sells for USD 1,184.00 That's a pretty steep price. Are they worth it? How do they compare to a Model 29?

Why does BFR make only long barrelled revolvers?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Lower
Old July 15, 2015, 10:21 PM   #2
stormyone

I'm pretty sure BFR stands for Big Frame Revolver. Lots of people say it means Big Fu*%ing Revolver.

They are custom quality- the fit and finish is excellent. You know how Ruger revolvers are known for strength? BFR's laugh at Rugers and call them sissy boys.

As far as I know, the BFR revolvers have always been made in the USA.
Old July 15, 2015, 10:24 PM   #3
guruatbol

What he said. I love mine! It is awesome and in 45-70 the kick isn't as bad as my Ruger 44 mag red hawk.

Mel
Old July 16, 2015, 01:38 AM   #4
Lower

Thanks, stormyone and guruatbol, you are awesome, and have just gotten Magnum Research some business!
Old July 16, 2015, 02:36 AM   #5
Ruger45LC

Very good revolvers! I've got a 454 but it's very nice and shoots great too

Old July 16, 2015, 11:56 AM   #6
WIL TERRY

SISSY BOYS....I do not know where you get that as that entire line of guns is PINE TREE CASTINGS !!! THEY are NOT one whit better/stronger/ than any Ruger of comparable size and I saw one rippped apart by loads I KNEW a comparable ruger SA had taken in it's stride.
And so it goes...
Old July 16, 2015, 07:55 PM   #7
KEYBEAR

I have a new BFR in 44 MAG 5 inch barrel and love it .
It makes Ruger look like junk .
Buy one at Buds Guns on line a little over $950.00 and free shipping .
Old July 17, 2015, 02:53 PM   #8
Lower

Keybear, I wish it were as simple as that - I live in Kalifornia!!!
Old July 17, 2015, 07:16 PM   #9
black mamba

I have a 5" in 454 Casull that I put a mini red dot on. Beautifully made revolver, but so far not any more accurate than my stainless Ruger Bisley. It does handle the recoil a little better though, with the rubber grips and the filler behind the trigger guard. It's heavier, too. The sight base comes with the gun, so if you plan to put a scope or red dot on it, the BFR works very well.

Old July 17, 2015, 09:14 PM   #10
sixgunluv

"Biggest Finest Revolver"......
Old July 20, 2015, 09:14 PM   #11
Sequins

You know Ruger is the best because whether it's Taurus, Smith, or BFR, and whether you think they're better or worse, it's always the Ruger Yardstick they're being measured on! A Super Redhawk or Super Redhawk Alaskan are the same price as that BFR you linked in the OP.

(I don't know much about BFR though, just being a fanboy)
Old July 21, 2015, 08:48 AM   #12
g.willikers

Tough Guy Nate, in the Joe Pickett novels, prefers Freedom Arms for his big revolver.
And what's good enough for Tough Guy Nate is good enough for me.
Might have to sell my car to pay for one, though.
Not to mention the long wait to get one.
Old July 22, 2015, 11:07 AM   #13
22-rimfire

BFR= Biggest Finest Revolver

As mentioned, they are made in the US. I have handled quite a few over the years since they were first introduced in 45-70. I never liked their long cylinder in terms of overall gun aesthetics and for years thought they were a bit silly and intimidating.

Then I got the larger big bore bug with the 480 Ruger (SRH) for hunting and picked up a 6.5" BFR in 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger which has the short cylinder. I feel they are a step up from Ruger overall in terms of overall build quality. The long barrels are their niche.

Overall they are well though of for the large big bores and priced in the middle price range for large caliber revolvers until you go custom.

In terms of choosing Ruger vs S&W vs BFR..... in 44 mag, that would be a difficult choice for me as I like S&W M29's. With my limited experience shooting them, I'd say that the felt recoil will be less with the BFR vs M29 which is primarily a design thing (SA vs DA).
Old July 22, 2015, 11:30 AM   #14
HighValleyRanch

OP wrote:
Quote:
Keybear, I wish it were as simple as that - I live in Kalifornia!!!
Just checked for you and the only one on the CA approved list is the 6 inch .44 magnum models which start with the DE44CA code.
There are 5 varieties of this model available and that is all you can get new, unless you find a used one and transfer person to person.

As far as ordering from Buds or online, yes you can do that if you have them send the gun (must be on the approved roster list) to you dealer and then transfer from the local dealer.
So you will have to include tax, shipping, and dealers charge as well as the DROS (DOJ) fee.

So even if the price looks good on Bud's or elsewhere, sometimes it's not all the much savings compared to finding a dealer who can give you a comparable out the door price without all the hassle.
Old July 22, 2015, 02:17 PM   #15
samsmix

Well, I have to ask...

...has anyone shot a 500gr or larger bullet out of their 45-70 BFR, and if so did you chronograph the results?

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old July 22, 2015, 05:45 PM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by 22-rimfire:

With my limited experience shooting them, I'd say that the felt recoil will be less with the BFR vs M29 which is primarily a design thing (SA vs DA).

No....it's primarily a weight thing. A 5'' BFR .44 mag weighs in at almost 5 lbs while a S&W 629 with a 5'' barrel weights in at less than 4 lbs.

BFRs made their niche with chamberings not available in other revolvers like 45/70, .444 Marlin and 30-30. IMHO, in .44 mag, they are not worth the extra moneys, nor is all that extra weight needed. Unlike S&Ws tho, which are like Unobtainium, the BFRs are actually available.
Old July 24, 2015, 01:47 PM   #17
wild willy

I have a BFR 480/475 and a Super Blackhawk.The BFR is larger. Frame is taller and longer but not as much as it appears I think the grips make the BFR look much bigger.Fit and finish is nicer than my Ruger but not twice as nice or any large amount better.Magnum Research gives barrel length from the front of the frame so my 6 1/2" barrel measures about 7 1/8".My gun weighs 3 lbs 9.2 oz. I don't know why the .44 weighs so much I thought smaller holes but the .500JRH is shown as the same weight as the .44.The BFR is a nice gun but I doubt if I would buy one in a caliber I could get a Ruger single action in.
Old July 24, 2015, 02:14 PM   #18
22-rimfire

Quote:
Magnum Research gives barrel length from the front of the frame so my 6 1/2" barrel measures about 7 1/8".
That is an important point. Which takes me to the question, why the 6.5" is not more popular? It is still l-o-n-g.

Buck460, I think the SA vs DA grip also makes a difference (roll vs push in recoil). But don't let the thing slap you in the forehead while it's "rolling".

As wild willy says, unless I already had 44's in other handguns or I had multiple BFRs and simply liked the feel, I would probably get the 44 in either S&W or Ruger. For the record, I was never a big 44 fan. I am a 41 mag fan.