The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 16, 2015, 12:22 AM   #1
blackwater1825

Sam7r VS WASR

I am in the process of selling that newer WASR. Gunsmith said the bolt and trunnion were soft and headspace would grow rapidly. I disclosed this info to an induvidual who has the tools to work on and fix aks. So I have the coin for whatever. I have always wanted an Arsenal Sam7r. Is it worth the money? They are so expensive but seem pretty sweet. Would one of these out last a good WASR? The problem is I can't visually inspect a WASR I just order online and hope that their QC inspection is good. I want an all out super durable won't have to worry about quality ak.
If anybody has experience with a Sam7r, a recent one, the Bulgarian receiver ones maybe you could chime in. I figure if I buy the Sam7r, it should last 10's of thousands of rounds BUT my first WASR has also lasted about 10,000 rounds so far and just seems to keep running better and better. Go Arsenal or go another WASR (hopefully a better one) and a bunch of ammo? I want to let you know there was no way that the company I ordered the WASR from which I will not name could have known that rifle would have turned out the way it did. It's just one of those things where stuff happens. Thanks.
Old July 16, 2015, 12:27 AM   #2
DanTSX

Buy an aresenel.
Old July 16, 2015, 12:46 AM   #3
leadcounsel

WASRs have been around for decades. You're not going to wear one out in your lifetime, and if you do it's because you put $30,000 worth of ammo through it, or abused it to such an extent that no weapon would survive.

I have WASRs stamped from the 1980s that function as they should. I've shot several and they are reliable and accurate.

The new crop of WASRs seem awesome. Just got one for $500, and plan to shoot it soon. They have improved their QC greatly, and the new furniture is a step up.

Nonsense about wearing one out.
Old July 16, 2015, 12:54 AM   #4
blackwater1825

Ya, the chances of getting another lemon rifle would be pretty slim one would think if I did choose another WASR. Damn I just love that Sam7r but its just so expensive.
Old July 16, 2015, 06:25 AM   #5
dakota.potts

Get what you want or you will continue comparing what you actually get against what you want
Old July 16, 2015, 11:09 PM   #6
Darker Loaf

I bought a Sam7-SF soon after they came out. Mine turned out to be a lemon. The fit and finish is great. The trigger was wonderful. The 74 style break leaves nothing wanting: it is a relatively gentle gun to shoot. And I was able to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with Hornady SST's. But, it had a faulty safety/top cover. It had to do with the ambi-safety cutout in the receiver and the top-cover allowing the safety to skip over the top. I sent it back into Arsenal, and they sent it right back in the same condition. I had to send it to a custom shop to fix the gun by welding the travel on the safety to the correct tolerances.

What I learned is that Arsenal customer service is terrible. Stamped AK's are usually preferable because of greater parts commonality. And Arsenal is just assemblers, not gunsmiths. My SAM7-SF is great. It runs awesome now, but it has been an expensive journey.

My advice to you, if you are looking as SAM7's is to get a non-sidefolding type. That way you won't have issues like mine. Otherwise, they are great guns. Also, on the non-sidefolding bit, a standard stock will allow you to put whatever furniture on it that you want.

Last edited by Darker Loaf; July 16, 2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old July 16, 2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Darker Loaf

I would consider buying a WASR, too. Basically, you can make it the gun you want for a lot less money. I like that they are stamped, too, because they are a lighter gun.

Granted, they will not be as accurate as a SAM7, but certainly serviceable.
Old July 17, 2015, 02:33 AM   #8
blackwater1825

I would get another WASR too I just don't want it to be like the last one with a soft front trunnion and bolt and carrier. This was diagnosed by an ak gun smith. He said if I woulda kept shooting it it most likely would ha ve become very unsafe to shoot BUT ey first WASR is awesome and the exact oposite, many thousands of rounds with no issues at all. I just hear the Sam 7r is very rock solid in durability. If I go Sam 7r it would be the fixed stock version. If I could get another WASR like my first one and not a lemon I would go WASR but from what I read the Sam 7r was waaaay durable and all the parts are hardened correctly.
Old July 17, 2015, 03:32 AM   #9
Darker Loaf

Well, in a fixed stock configuration, you will probably be pretty happy with it. It is a good foundation for a gun. I'm sure you'll play with the furniture a bit: I'd recommend U.S. Palm grips or Magpul grips. They make a huge difference in terms of just being able to hold and move the gun one-handed.

I know what you mean about durability. I got my gun cerakoted and all the mags. The barrel is chrome lined, so there isn't much that can go wrong with my gun. It's really hard to justify buying another AK, except to get a stamped one and/or fixed stock. I replaced all the plastic furniture with metal, too, so nothing to melt or crack.
Old July 17, 2015, 03:46 AM   #10
Darker Loaf

This seems like a very good blend of value and quality in a more affordable $825 package, still milled, U.S. made, and chrome-lined barrel: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
Old July 17, 2015, 08:01 AM   #11
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I've had a couple milled Arsenal's--bought when they were still relatively cheap---accuracy was horrible but they always went bang--definitely not worth the high prices now.

My next 7.62x39 will probably be a stainless Mini-30.
-------Metallica
Old July 17, 2015, 09:30 AM   #12
blackwater1825

Well heck. This is a hard decision. I got Rob saying to get the Definitive Arms DAKM-4150, which is a 1000 bucks, some people say the Arsenal is worth it, some say not...such a hard decision. I gotta make up my mind tonight though, buying whatever I figure out I wanna get tonight after work.
Old July 17, 2015, 03:02 PM   #13
Darker Loaf

The Definitive Arms stuff looks good, too. I wouldn't hesitate. That's kind of why I was steering you away from Arsenal, because you can get a more-or-less custom or high-end AK with the furniture or features you want right off the bat.

But I priced Arsenal SAM7's with the fixed stocks, and they aren't horribly expensive either, like $1,200. I've put more than $2k into my SAM7 so far, so that's be kind of a bust. It was like $1,450 to start. I think was better than scrapping the gun, and I did some cool/unnecessary custom work because I like to tinker with my guns. I mean the barrel and the receiver were good pieces of steel. I'm sure my SAM7-SF will outlast me.

If you do get a Definitive Arms, let us know! I'd love and update or report.
Old July 17, 2015, 03:05 PM   #14
Darker Loaf

Yeah, that Definitive Arms DAKM-4150 is pretty darn cool. I'd still swap the pistol grip to a U.S. Palm or Magpul, and maybe the rest of the furniture, but I am no purist and have gun customizing sickness. It'd be a good basis for a build for sure. Once again let us know about it if you get it!
Old July 17, 2015, 03:55 PM   #15
leadcounsel

Personally, I'd buy the WASR - and I just did. The differences in WASRs and the higher end stuff is marginal and trivial.

If my budget were $1000, I'd buy 2 WASRs. The talk of bans occurs every other year... causing price increases and scarcity.
Old July 18, 2015, 11:25 AM   #16
blackwater1825

Boom...I went with the Sam7R. That way I won't always be wondering "I wonder how the Sam7R would have been.." Hope its awesome.
Old July 18, 2015, 12:50 PM   #17
DanTSX

Good work

Now you have a rifle your grandchildren can hand down.
Old July 18, 2015, 01:11 PM   #18
Darker Loaf

Congrats! Let us know how she runs for you! Get some Hornady SST's if you want to accuracy test it.
Old July 19, 2015, 10:58 AM   #19
blackwater1825

Will do I am excited always wanted one. So I see it takes a spring loaded firing pin, now I have found the firing pins but I have not found the springs as a spare. Is there any advantage to the spring loaded firing pin compared to free floating?
Old July 19, 2015, 11:16 PM   #20
blackwater1825

Ok guys I did some research and believe it or not their aren't a whole lot of durability reviews on the Sam7R-I mean I am sure it is durable but for most popular rifles you find reviews where people are talking about how accurate they still are after 15000 rounds and how rock solid it is..the reviews I am finding are more like "Ya I got a Sam7R, shot 300 rounds through it and stuck it in my safe, its cool......" Are people hesitant on running the gun hard because of the price? I am going to run mine like I run all my other rifles, hard and hot and wet. Sounds like a bachelor party..kidding. Anyways I am just curious how the firing pins with springs differ than free float, do you not get the little indent when you chamber a round?

Also, as you know I like spare parts so I have already ordered from K-var the spring loaded firing pin but can't find the spring like anywhere. Should I talk to arsenal about this?
Old July 20, 2015, 12:35 AM   #21
Darker Loaf

I'd talk to Aresnal about it, but I bet somebody on TFL would know better or perhaps a gunsmith.

As far as SAM7's not being run in the 10,000's of round counts, that's probably because I doubt anybody runs them in competition. That's more of an AR thing. AK's are clumsy when compared to AR's in terms of ergonomics and speed.

SAM7's have not been around very long, so people who just train with them and use them at the range haven't had the years of 1,000+ rounds a year yet. I've only put about 1,000+ rounds through mine I'd say so far. I'm sure that they will last as a gun. Once my reliability issues were worked out, the gun has run flawlessly. I've shot in pretty wet conditions with low quality ammo, too, and I've only cleaned the gun once since the reliability issues were fixed.

But just because people haven't had the time or money to batter them up yet, doesn't mean they can't take it. I'd say that the chrome-lined, cold hammer forged barrels mean quite a lot, and a steel milled receiver is about as tough as anything can be. If you are really concerned about it lasting, get it cerakoted. Then you'll only have cerakote and chrome to worry about.
Old July 20, 2015, 01:30 AM   #22
blackwater1825

Hell I'll run 10,000 rnds per year per gun almost depending on what I did that year. Me and a few guys train as a hobby. Fast paced shooting. I got really good with the ar so it was time to get good with the ak. I'll do a review on the Sam 7r and keep a round count and beat the hell out of it so there will be a review like that. What issues did u have with urs?
Old July 20, 2015, 02:55 AM   #23
Darker Loaf

The top cover allowed the safety to jump over the top when racking the bolt. The ambi-safety (present only on SAM7-SF's--which is why I was trying to steer you into fixed stock versions) chanel allowed the safety to travel too far. The safety could be pushed up by the bolt, causing a nasty jam. I did it in the store when I was picking up the gun. It's a test I will do on any AK now, and I should have not paid for the gun and walked away. I just assumed Arsenal would set me strait. The actual customer service department was really responsive, but they don't have control over what the quality control / gunsmithing department does, so I told them everything that happened, including sending pictures of the issue, and they sent me back a gun in the same condition. I got fed up and sent it into a custom shop.

Also, I had issues with the hammer not cocking and the gun short-stroking. I'm not fully sure it if was a magazine issue or not, or the chamber being too tight or the rails being uneven or what. But I had under 10 jams out of about 300+ rounds. I asked the custom shop I sent it to to polish the rails and the chamber and in general inspect the gun. I did have 1-2 to jams after I had the gun fixed, but it seems to run better overall. They welded the gap in the receiver so the ambi-safety can no longer over-travel, so it can't flip over the top cover. I did have a mag that appears to have cause the jams after the fix, because the follower was sticky.

I've had other gun companies give me the run around with customer service before. EAA did the same thing: sent a pistol back in the same condition. Sig didn't even want to see my faulty Mosquito. It seems to be the reality of customer service in the gun industry today. It is rare for a company to do you right.

My overall conclusion is that one shouldn't buy proprietary AK's from non-custom shops. I think you should be fine with a fixed stock.
Old July 20, 2015, 05:13 AM   #24
drobs

You can send that "defective" wasr to me. I'll take it off you hands and shoot another 10k rounds through it.

Heck I'll be a nice guy and give you $100 for it.
Old July 20, 2015, 09:08 AM   #25
blackwater1825

Sorry I already am in the proccess of selling it to a guy I know very well, told him the bolt and trunnion were too soft to continue to fire-says the gunsmith after the second time I let him look at it. So he knows and is going to fix it after we do the transfer to him. I love WASR's but now I know they are hit and miss. Some say they are built on rejected military parts and although I do not believe that to be true, they definatly are using parts that are sometimes to mil-spec/can handle many rounds, or are not and are too soft for their own good and just won't last and a dangerous situation can occur. It is no one's fault that is just what you get with a cheap ak, the chance of a lemon or hit and miss. Like I said before my first WASR is just fine with many thousands of rounds down range and is my go to rifle. I love that gun and will eventually try for another one. Lets see how this Sam7 works first.

Thanks guys.