The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
willmc33

Beretta PX4 Storm .40 owners? Any problems?

I am considering giving a PX4 in .40S&W a shot and just curious who here owns one and how they like them. Curious as to durability, accuracy, overall qulity, concealability, issues? Thank you in advance.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2
bitttorrrent

Well, I have the 9mm full size and I really like it. Very good quality, and no issues at all in ammo. It takes everything I throw at it - except for when one of the primers was upside down! As a new reloader that was totally my fault. That one did not eject, but because is so easy to take down, I threw out the slide and got it out on the range.
Great gun.

Concealability might be a little big, as it does have some heft to it for being polymer.

The one thing is that the ami safety on mine does stick out a little. I wanted it, but I may switch to a lower profile on them. I can order through Baretta. With the fairly long DA, I don't think the safety is that crucial, but as I have kids around it is just another method of safety and I do like how it works in that the trigger has no resistance when safety is on so you know even in the dark.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #3
tahunua001

I do not own one but one of my inlaws does and has let me shoot it. I don't normally like berettas(too many sour experiences with the M9), 40 cals, and DA/SA guns in general but I loved the PX4 in 40. light recoil, very accurate, fit my hands like a glove(you may be different though). it's his EDC and he's on both the local fire dept and search and rescue team so I would image that it gets pretty nasty and he claims it's never failed. he's never lied to me about anything else so I have no reason not to believe him when it comes to guns.

I know this is mostly a 3rd person review but hopefully it still helps.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
loose_holster_dan

owned the px4 45 for awhile. it didn't like hollow points.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 29, 2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Mosin44az

I had one for awhile. It was truly excellent, functioned perfectly through the hundreds of rounds I shot with it. Very high quality in appearance and materials, particularly for a polymer gun. Not a top choice for concealment (I had the full size model, Beretta is making smaller ones now, I can't speak to them). Very comfortable recoil for a .40 caliber. Felt like I was shooting 9mm.

My problem was even with the small grip insert, I found the DA trigger pull too long and heavy, even with practice my first shot was just a bit to the right.

I am also not a fan of the Beretta decocker/safety, quite a reach and you have to keep pushing it up to take it off safety every time you decock. Makes practice a pain. I would get the decocker-only "G" model if you can.

If it fits your hand and you like the trigger, go for it.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:49 PM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
My problem was even with the small grip insert, I found the DA trigger pull too long and heavy, even with practice my first shot was just a bit to the right.

I am also not a fan of the Beretta decocker/safety, quite a reach and you have to keep pushing it up to take it off safety every time you decock. Makes practice a pain. I would get the decocker-only "G" model if you can.
your issues with the decocker/safety are my two biggest pet peaves with berettas and the long trigger pull is my largest issue I take with DA/SA pistol. normally when I shoot them I fire SAO and cock the hammer each time.
Old October 30, 2012, 01:09 AM   #7
LockedBreech

I am like a broken record singing the praises of the PX4, but since it was solicited, I'll offer. My PX4 .40 Type F fullsize was my first-ever pistol. Roughly four years and three months later, it has yet to fail me after what now must have exceeded 4,000 rounds (I stopped counting precisely shortly after 3,000). The recoil is smooth and easy, the gun is comfortable in the hand, and everything is made with solid quality. Accuracy is also superb. The gun has quite frankly spoiled me rotten.

It's sitting on my nightstand with a TLR-1 and a magazine full of 180-grain Speer Gold Dots. I have no doubt that if I needed to fire it right now, it'd perform with its usual boring reliability.

I think the current prices for them are an absolute steal. About $400 on Bud's Gun Shop. I think it's easily a $500-550 pistol in quality, with a low price only because of slower sales, and it has - for me - outperformed guns in that price bracket. With a lot of time with both, I'd take a PX4 over an XDM any day (with no disrespect to that platform). The only gun I've had a good amount of time with that I liked equally was Smith's M&P40.
Old October 30, 2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Guv

I have a realativly new sub compact and really like it. I haven't shot it that much but my observations so far are that the accuracy is fantastic and recoil with 165gr USA is okay, but 155 silvertips are pretty stout. I'd love to get another in 9mm.
Old October 30, 2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Had a fullsize 9mm PX4 amazing. Just wasn't feeling it. Sold it to my cousin for pennies.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Steve_in_SEMich

I also have the full-size model - like it so much, that I picked up the CX4 carbine in the same caliber. Magazines are interchangeable, I have 14 & 17 round mags.

Great gun, and pricing is very reasonable if the gun shoots for you.