The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Southern Shooter

Do I Really Need a Ruger GP-100 ??

A number of my range friends are shooting fairly recent production Ruger GP-100 revolvers. Some of them have the 3" barrel, some the 4" barrel, and of course some of have the 6" barrel guns.

I am the odd-man-out. I don't have a GP-100, at all. There are days they really drive me about shooting "older" and "less stout" guns and encourage me to buy a GP-100.

What I have are:
**3 Ruger Speed-Six .357 Magnum with the 2 3/4" barrels
**1 Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum with the 4" barrel
**1 Dan Wesson Model 15-2 in .357 Magnum with the 4" and 6" barrels (Monson era production)

All 5 of these revolvers were manufactured between 1979-1983.

There are small amounts of wear marks (a small scratch, blue wear, tiny dink) on the guns. But, mechanically, I don't think that you could find a brand new gun any more sound. And, the triggers are sweet.

Is there any need to invest a load of cash in another revolver to keep up with the Jones? Or, should I just stay odd-man-out?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; September 18, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:56 AM   #2
CajunBass

To my way of thinking, you've already got the better guns. I never did warm up to the GP 100. Never wanted one, never will.

The Speed/Security Sixes on the other hand are among the best 38/357's ever made. And I'm a Smith & Wesson guy. The Dan Wesson's leave nothing on the table either.

Get a GP 100 if YOU want one. Don't let someone else spend your money for you.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 18, 2012, 08:57 AM   #3
bcarver

nope

absolutely not. But I would sell the dan wesson and get a 6" gp100.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Stressfire

If it won't break the bank, why not?

As for stoutness, it's got that in spades. Seriously built like a tank, but with a profile like one as well.

Still, I like mine - but it is my sole revolver at this time
Old September 18, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5
baddarryl

I got a nice blued one with the older panel grips last year for $400. My answer? Heck ya!
Old September 18, 2012, 09:08 AM   #6
hulley

I would say yes, get the GP100. I mean really, can someone have too many revolvers?
Old September 18, 2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Bob Wright

Compare targets. It's all about what happens downrange that counts.

Stout? Your guns blow up? Frames stretched?

Stick with your guns. Unless, of course, you feel the need for a new gun!

Bob Wright
Old September 18, 2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Southern Shooter

Gun Condition and Down Range

The guns are all in good condition. No stretch, slop, etc.

Down range? The 2 3/4" barreled Speed-Sixes can put full-load 158 grain bullets in a 5" group, double-action, standing non-supported, at 25 yards. Nothing to write home about but ok.

The Dan Wesson, single-action, standing non-supported, groups at 2 1/2" from 25 yards.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old September 18, 2012, 09:25 AM   #9
smokin54

I had a Gp100 , it was a good shooter and i sold it . no regrets . I have some quality 357s so its not missed .
Old September 18, 2012, 09:36 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
What I have are:
**3 Ruger Speed-Six .357 Magnum with the 2 3/4" barrels
**1 Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum with the 4" barrel
**1 Dan Wesson Model 15-2 in .357 Magnum with the 4" and 6" barrels (Monson era production)

Do I Really Need a Ruger GP-100 ??
No. You're covered.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 18, 2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Revoliver

As a GP100 lover and believer, I don't believe you need one. But that shouldn't stop you from getting one if you want a revolver that you can have no fear of thrashing as it is a tank and still in production if worse came to worse.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Billy Shears

I'll give my two cents worth...

It is my opinion that:

a) The GP100 is a fine revolver just as mentioned above. I really enjoy shooting mine.

b) But so is the Security Six. Nothing at all wrong with it. I actually prefer the feel of the Six over the GP; and

c) The GP100, for all it's other attributes, is too large and heavy for comfortable use or carry. If you already have a couple of very nice .357s and you're looking for something that bulky and heavy to shoot, why not buy a S&W 29 and do it in .44 Magnum? Again, just my personal opinion, but a gun's weight and bulk should match the caliber it shoots. I think the GP is on the heavy/bulky end of the spectrum for a .357.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #13
SRH78

I am assuming you have shot one so the question is, do you want one? if you want one, you need one. If you don't, you don't.

I have a 6" and love it. Imo, they are very good guns that are stout and make shootings full house magnum loads very comfortable. However, there is obviously nothing wrong with the guns you already have.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:23 AM   #14
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
Compare targets. It's all about what happens downrange that counts.
I tend to agree with Bob, but depending on your needs/wants, with 2 possible caveats:

First, the GP's interchangeable front sight is a nice feature that allows one to change the front sight in seconds if you want or need to.

Second, if you ever get the itch to check out a local IDPA/ICORE/USPSA match, the GP100 would be the better choice, as there are good speedloader options available. The position of the DW's cylinder release would also make for a very awkward reload.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Cheapshooter

Of course you need a GP 100. the proof of your necessity for one is in the list you posted. You don't have one, so there is an obvious need! You should get one ASAP!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 18, 2012, 10:35 AM   #16
Sigep538

Your Dan Wesson is just as strong as th GP. I like both and from a strength stand point the point is null.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Southern Shooter

Something Bulky and Heavy to Shoot....

Quote:
threedogdad--
If you already have a couple of very nice .357s and you're looking for something that bulky and heavy to shoot, why not buy a S&W 29 and do it in .44 Magnum?
I have that covered with my Ruger SRH Alaskan .454 Casull and 360 grain cast bullets. And, I can replace the Tamer Grip that comes on it with the GP-100 grips.

Last edited by Southern Shooter; September 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:30 AM   #18
aarondhgraham

Are you looking for an excuse?,,,

Are you looking for an excuse?,,,

Quote:
Is there any need to invest a load of cash in another revolver to keep up with the Jones?
There is no need,,,
Only desire.

Get it if you want it my friend,,,
Don't if you feel you don't really need it.

But acting as the Great Enabler,,,
I say a man can't own too many good revolvers.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 18, 2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Southern Shooter

Speed-Six and Concealed Carry

I will say one thing, the Speed-Six is a great blend of weight, balance, power, and concealability. At only 5' 6", with a good pancake holster and the original wooden grips I can easily carry concealed. It is actually comfortable to wear all day.

Last edited by Southern Shooter; September 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old September 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #20
skidder

Southern Shooter-- I've been mulling around a similar scenario in my head (I have 3 Sixes). I have an opportunity to trade my 6" Six for a 6" GP, but my cold feet won't take the step. My 6" Six is 8 oz lighter and keeps a nice group.

If you have the money, and don't need to sell/trade to get one? Go for it!
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old September 18, 2012, 01:24 PM   #21
Southern Shooter

Very Fond

I have become very fond of these guns. I like the other guns in the house. But, I feel very attached to the Six Series and the Dan Wesson. They are kind of like pieces of a by-gone era that is slowly fading away. The longer I have these guns the more unique they become.

I think what I will be doing is the same process as I used to acquire these fine revolvers...start saving up the money and when a used but cared for GP-100 presents itself be ready to hand over the cash. Just be patient and wait for the opportunity to arise.
Old September 18, 2012, 03:14 PM   #22
Super Sneaky Steve

You aren't a real man unless you own a GP100.
Old September 18, 2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Hammerhead

Need? No.
One thing I like about my GP100 is the improved trigger over the Speed/Security Sixes. There's no 'hump' in the middle of the GP100's DA trigger pull like there is with the SS models. My DA shooting is better with the GP than it was with my S&W model 10 or Security Six.
Full power loads are easier in recoil as well.
Current GP quality is very impressive.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:10 PM   #24
rclark

Nope!

But I would suggest getting a .357 Ruger Blackhawk instead... Or move up from the peanut caliber to a .45 Colt Blackhawk . There is nothing wrong with being the odd man out!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:32 PM   #25
.45 Vet

I bought my 6" Security Six in 78. Got a SP 101 in 95, and a 4" GP in 2004. I like being the "Odd Guy" at the range, everyone else is into Glocks...

I still prefer the trigger on the Six, a spring kit and some 20 odd thousand rounds have it pretty well limbered up. I also fell into a Blackhawk in .45 Colt in 95. Them big holes always bring a smile to my face.

You may not need a GP-100, but there's nothing wrong with wanting another revolver...