The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2010, 01:44 AM   #1
kylewood

Winchester 67 Sights

First off... Does anybody know of any peep sights that will work on a Winchester 67 .22? I know there was some peep sights that would fit from another Winchester but cant recall what model it was. Also, does anybody know how to remove the 67 rear sight? I'm getting ready do re-blue the whole gun.

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/...1-18223518.jpg

Last edited by kylewood; November 19, 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old November 19, 2010, 02:16 PM   #2
carguychris

The stock sights, both front and rear, can be removed by drifting them out of their dovetails sideways with a hammer and a brass punch. This is also how you adjust them for windage. FYI the sight elevation adjustment ramp under the rear sight is a separate piece that is held down by the sight leaf, so prepare for it to fall out as the sight is removed.

These rifles used to be sold in a "Target" configuration with a Winchester #97A hooded front sight, #96A rear peep sight, and sling swivels. (This configuration was initially sold as the Model 68 but the company eventually made it a Model 67 option rather than a whole separate model.) However, the peep sight mounted at the rear of the receiver rather than on the barrel like the standard buckhorn open sight, and this was also the case on most other 1930s and later Winchester .22 rifles. Therefore, you can't really interchange the two sights, since the peep doesn't really work properly when it's mounted several inches farther away from the shooter's eye.

Your options are to find a vintage Winchester sight and have a gunsmith cut a correct dovetail in the receiver, or to have a gunsmith drill the correct holes to install a screw-on aftermarket rear peep sight. The second option will usually allow more precise adjustments but may require relieving the stock in addition to drilling the receiver. FWIW if you look at a lot of old .22 bolt-actions, you'll often see Lyman peep sights mounted to these guns, usually for a long-past school or Boy Scout markmanship program.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't do it. Installing a peep sight on this rifle would be more trouble than it's worth and would destroy any collectible value that's left after the rebluing. I would search out another rifle with a peep sight already on it. One can never have too many .22s.
Old November 19, 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
carguychris

FWIW here's a GB listing for a Model 68. Notice where the rear sight is mounted.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=200173324
Old November 19, 2010, 06:23 PM   #4
kylewood

carguychris: thanks, you brought up a good point.

Im really not much into the collector value of this gun, its mine, I shoot it and probably will never sell it. Would rather have it like i want it. But I guess the peep sights is out of question. Just out of curiosity, would re-bluing ruin collector value?

Wood
Old November 19, 2010, 06:30 PM   #5
kylewood

I know how they adjust for windage but the rear just doesn't seem to want to move. I'm afraid of beating any harder.

Wood
Old November 21, 2010, 01:23 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
I know how they adjust for windage but the rear just doesn't seem to want to move. I'm afraid of beating any harder.
It's probably rusted in place. Give it a good soaking in PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or another effective* penetrating oil, let it sit for a week, then remove the barreled action from the stock, clamp the receiver in a padded bench vise, and try again. This should do the trick.

*When I say "effective", I mean "not WD-40".
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, would re-bluing ruin collector value?
Technically yes, but frankly, Winchester built so many Model 67s that it's probably never going to be really valuable unless it's one of the less commonplace Boy's Rifle (20" barrel), smoothbore, or .22 WRF models.

Last edited by carguychris; November 21, 2010 at 01:28 PM.