The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 30, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1
LinuxHack3r

ADMIN! Please Enable Tapatalk! Please:)

Tapatalk is an absolutely wonderful app for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, and Nokia. It makes it very easy to view and post to forums on a mobile device. I recently bought the pro version of the app for my android powered phone, and I absolutely LOVE it. It is supposed to be a simple plugin download for the forum administrator. The least I am asking is that whoever it is that actually gets down to the nitty gritty and makes this forum run, to at least read here:
http://www.tapatalk.com/
I cannot express how thankful I would be if The Firing Line is added to Tapatalk, and I'm sure many others would use it as well. Also, it is VERY easy to find forums related to certain subjects from within the Tapatalk app, so I would even think that TheFiringLine would grow. Please note that it is free for forum owners to activate it, it is the users that want the pro version of the app that shell out the 2.99 for it.
Old September 30, 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't actually used the App, but I'm going to download it and see how it works, if it works as advertised, I'd second the motion to install it.
Old September 30, 2010, 09:49 AM   #3
LinuxHack3r

Thanks for the support. The free version gives you an idea of how it works, but the pro version is needed to actually REALLY use it. I am currently using the app for EDC Forums, as well as ZombieSquad. It makes reading, replying, posting pictures, at least 10x easier on a mobile device than using a browser.
Old September 30, 2010, 11:05 AM   #4
tyme
Staff

Can someone please confirm that it works?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 30, 2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it works, yes... to the extent that I can use it.... I'm not a member of any of the forums that support it (I'm only on two) but the free forums that I can access all work, load fast (kind of amazingly, actually) and navigate well. I haven't bought the version that allows replies and such... bit of a catch-22 there... can't use it anyway unless TFL supports it.

Oh, for a mere $999, you can also "rebrand" the App and make it an actual "TFL iPhone App" that TFL could sell in the AppStore!

(Otherwise, it's free for the forum admin)
Old September 30, 2010, 11:33 AM   #6
tyme
Staff

Sorry... confirm that it works on TFL?

I installed it but haven't added TFL to tapatalk's forum index yet. Not sure if that's required...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 30, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

TheFiringLine is not showing.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:26 PM   #8
tyme
Staff

Can you not just use tapatalk with TFL without having it in tapatalk's official database of forums?
Old September 30, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's only 3 ways to select a forum:

1)"New"

2)"Browse"

3)"Search"

All appear to be directly from their database.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:46 PM   #10
tyme
Staff

Welp, I need a 90x90 graphic then. First person to provide a good one gets it as the official tapatalk logo for TFL.
Old September 30, 2010, 05:02 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

How's this? Hardly perfect, but expedient.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tfl4.JPG (2.7 KB, 281 views)
Old September 30, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
LinuxHack3r

I am working on one right now...shall not take too long. But it is really fun to do this!
Old September 30, 2010, 06:16 PM   #13
tyme
Staff

The gimp .xcf layered version of the current top-left logo is at
http://thefiringline.com/forums/imag...tfl-logo-1.xcf

I'll use mal's until we get something better.
Old September 30, 2010, 08:26 PM   #14
LinuxHack3r

Had to run to Walmart for camping supplies, go figure
Decided to try it out while waiting in line, works fantastic! Will try to get the logo up soon, I have a really good idea imho.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old September 30, 2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, that's pretty darn cool. Almost better than being on a computer! Thanks, Tyme.
Old September 30, 2010, 10:00 PM   #16
LinuxHack3r

Oh yes, thanks so much! For me on my mobile it is so much faster and easier to use. And plus it makes it easy to upload pictures from your phone. I usually browse these forums from my phone anyway, but actually replying has been so much trouble due to the layout of everything. But this fixes that! BTW, logo is working well...
Old September 30, 2010, 10:22 PM   #17
LinuxHack3r

Well...working with 90x90 pixels, it is very hard to do anything "beautiful". However I came up with this simplistic logo, with more ideas that I may pursue in the meantime

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lOGO.jpg (5.3 KB, 236 views)
Old October 3, 2010, 10:17 PM   #18
LinuxHack3r

Well? This thread was extremely active and then...nothing?
Old October 3, 2010, 10:45 PM   #19
Mal H
Staff

What should be happening in this thread? The function was installed as requested. It appears to be working according to the posts above. What else is there to say on the topic?
Old October 3, 2010, 10:49 PM   #20
LinuxHack3r

Well mainly I was just wondering what people thought of the logo I made. But that's that. And also I suppose it was just interesting seeing what other's wrote of the app. That's all. But you're right, nothing more to see here.
Old October 3, 2010, 11:22 PM   #21
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Well mainly I was just wondering what people thought of the logo I made.
Ah! Sorry, you're right, we should have said something.

The logo isn't bad, not very colorful ( ), but not bad. The major problem with using it, and any logo submitted by anyone else, is the copyright angle. Since we don't own your image, I don't think we can use it without written consent from you. Even so, let's not pursue that at this time.

The logo I presented is an obvious variation of the one we already own (and because I "work" for TFL, it automatically belongs to TFL), there is no copyright issue to worry about.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:10 PM   #22
zippy13

Mal H,
I like your graphic; however, IMHO, it has the same shortcoming as it's progenitor. The first time I visited the TFL, and saw the banner graphic, a thought popped into my head: Why isn't the portion within the scope's field of vision magnified? The (Firing) Line. The same idea could be used in the Tapatalk graphic.

Any intellectual property rights arising from this posting are hereby assigned to the firingline.com
Old October 4, 2010, 11:20 PM   #23
Mal H
Staff

That's easy! It's a 1X scope - duh!

Seriously, that's a good point, but you're about 12 years too late with it.
Old December 14, 2010, 02:24 PM   #24
orangello

Sorry to bump the old thread, but the topic didn't seem worthy of a new thread. I read this forum MUCH more than i post, and i often like to read the forum from my ipod touch.

If someone with an iPod or iPhone doesn't pay the Tapatalk people their $3, using a Tapatalk-enabled/polluted forum can be VERY annoying. Everytime i click on a thread or forum section i am forced to click on a pop-up from Tapatalk indicating that TFL is tapatalk-enabled website and that I should click for more information on tabatalk or click "No" to continue with my previous action. EVERY STINKIN' TIME!

It isn't worth it; now i don't access TFL on my iPod most of the time. I'm not a ballistics technician or anything, so my tiny contribution to the occasional thread surely won't be missed, but it will be delayed until i have my laptop or desktop handy.

If there is a work-around on this, i would greatly appreciate a heads-up.

At this point, i wouldn't give the Tapatalk people the sebacious excretions of my nether region, much less $3.
Old December 14, 2010, 03:33 PM   #25
LinuxHack3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Sorry to bump the old thread, but the topic didn't seem worthy of a new thread. I read this forum MUCH more than i post, and i often like to read the forum from my ipod touch.

If someone with an iPod or iPhone doesn't pay the Tapatalk people their $3, using a Tapatalk-enabled/polluted forum can be VERY annoying. Everytime i click on a thread or forum section i am forced to click on a pop-up from Tapatalk indicating that TFL is tapatalk-enabled website and that I should click for more information on tabatalk or click "No" to continue with my previous action. EVERY STINKIN' TIME!

It isn't worth it; now i don't access TFL on my iPod most of the time. I'm not a ballistics technician or anything, so my tiny contribution to the occasional thread surely won't be missed, but it will be delayed until i have my laptop or desktop handy.

If there is a work-around on this, i would greatly appreciate a heads-up.

At this point, i wouldn't give the Tapatalk people the sebacious excretions of my nether region, much less $3.
Overall I agree that the "feature" that pops up with the message is rather annoying. However, that is also how I found out about Tapatalk. I paid the bucks. To me, what the hell is $3 good for if you have a job? The thing is, I use Tapatalk probably a solid 2+ hours a day. For me, it is the single most used/useful app I have paid for. I personally would suggest shelling out the money and seriously trying it for a few hours (Oh yeah, Apple doesn't allow for refunds, do they. Personally, I have stopped using forums that DO NOT support Tapatalk. For me, it is 100x more a pleasurable experience to use Tapatalk than navigate through the browser on a mobile device. It's $3, giveup Burger King for one day and buy this instead. It could be argued that you don't wanna support them for spamming practically all mobile users with the above mentioned message, but it is capitalism here and I have a feeling that they loosely know what they are doing with the plugin

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk