The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old October 12, 2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

M4 failures in Afghanistan

I saw on the drudgereport.com of many reported failures of M4s just "not working" in a heavy fire fight, in Afghanistan. I don't recall all the details, but was it was quoted by some General as the M4's not "meeting all our expectations." I told a friend of mine and he stated that perhaps one of the new piston driven M-4/AR-15 type rifles would be better. Like the Sig 556 or the Ruger 556. What do you all think?
Old October 12, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
hoytinak

I think most of the failures with the M4 are due to the operators lack of proper maintenance. If you talk to the units that actually use and take care of their M4, you'll find that most are really happy with them. I've got a total of 6 deployments using the same Colt M4 and have had zero failures with it. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I still believe that the gas piston upper AR is a solution looking for a problem.
Old October 12, 2009, 08:13 PM   #3
emcon5

You know I was just thinking that the two other threads on the front page didn't quite have a handle on this subject.
Old October 12, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

We already have five pages of thread on this subject, crammed full of what folks think--as well as a bunch of non-think.
Closed Thread