The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 17, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1
johnm1

Steyr M95 Long Rifle

So on a whim I bought a Steyr M95 Long Rifle that has been 'Decommissioned' by drilling the chamber (barrel only, the receiver was untouched). It was bought as a wall hanger ($59 USD) and if it remains that way it's OK. But I was wondering if there are any full length (30") barrels out there in either 8x50R or 8x56R? I reload so the caliber is not that important though I do realize that the 8x56R is more readily available as far as cases go. I want to keep this as simple as possible.

I realize I could have a barrel built but really don't want to put that much into this project. Something simple like a barrel swap and check headspace is what I was thinking. I know the dies would cost me out the nose. But somehow die costs don't bother me as much.

Thanks

John
Old October 18, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Buzzcook

https://www.buymilsurp.com/rifle-par...3548_2083.html

Not sure if they have the long barrel. You may have to buy a donor gun.

It's odd that the barrel was the only thing disabled.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:15 AM   #3
johnm1

Thanks Buzz,

I tried all of the normal places on the internet including that one. They and others advertise the carbine barrels but not the rifle barrels. This may well turn out to be my only non-working firearm. It is a simple barrel profile so I'll price out making one from a blank. I just think it will be more than the gun is worth. I'm going to join up at the Steyr club and see if someone might just have one.

Also, the bolt head has been welded closed and I assume the firing pin either removed or cut short.

Thanks again.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
johnm1

It's beginning to look like this one will remain a wall hanger. No luck so far on finding a loose barrel or barreled receiver. I'm trying to see what a local barrel maker would charge to replicate this one. It is actually a fairly simple profile. I expect that will end up being too expensive.

On a lark I did e-mail Steyr hoping they might have a company historian or even an employee who might have a source. I'm not holding my breath of that one though.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:14 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Were those demilled by the Obama admininstration because millions of them were turning up in the hands of Mexican drug gangs?

Jim
Old October 19, 2011, 05:40 PM   #6
johnm1

No, I don't think so. I have seen pictures of others decommissioned in the same way though. There is an oval shaped cut about an inch long in the top of the chamber and the bolt face has been welded. Kills me as the rifling is near perfect though dark.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:05 PM   #7
chack

I wonder if it would be easier to machine a 7.62x54r barrel to fit the action
Old October 19, 2011, 08:01 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, johnm1,

Believe it or not, I was being sarcastic. I really don't believe even the anti-gun nuts would consider an old M95 to be an "assault weapon" and a serious threat to national security.

Jim
Old October 19, 2011, 10:35 PM   #9
johnm1

Jim

I knew that. I wonder at what point in time and under what circumstances an old rifle would be decommissioned like that? For what purpose?
Old October 19, 2011, 10:41 PM   #10
johnm1

Chack

I have read of several different chamberings including 7.62 x 54. The Germans re-chambered it to 8 MM Mauser. And that might do if I could get the barrel profile to work. It might even be legal for vintage rifle matches as it had it's own model designation.