The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 1, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1
ENC

Remington Model 510 .22 magnum

I was looking for any info available on the above mentioned rifle. It belongs to my father in law. It has markings similar to any other model 510 except the word "THE" and "Model 510" above and below Targetmaster are stamped in different and deeper type. Below the Remington logo nearer the reciever "22 MAG." is stamped in the same deeper type. The barrel is about 5 inches shorter than the other 510 models that he owns but the factory front site is dovetailed in as it is on the other rifles. The gun appears to be refinished both metal and wood. The metal is very beautiful. I can take pictures and post if I really need to. Any information at all would be nice. Value. Whether or not this was a factory produced rifle or a rechamber (as i suspect).

Thanks
Evan
Old May 1, 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
CPTMurdoc30

Never heard of the 510 being made in a 22 mag.

Try the guys over at www.rimfirecentral.com There is a bunch of guy there that would give you a very good answer.
Old May 2, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .22 WMR was introduced not long before that excellent Remington 500 series was discontinued. I too have never heard of a 510 being made in .22 WMR. (The .22 WMR could not be used with any of the other 500 series because it won't fit in the magazines.)

I suspect that gun was rechambered and reworked by a gunsmith and marked at that time.

In general, it is not a good idea to rechamber rifles made for .22 LR to .22 WMR, not only because of strength and barrel dimensions, but mainly because the steel used for .22 LR barrels is fairly soft and will not stand up long to the jacketed bullets and hotter powders used in the .22 WMR. Nevertheless, quite a few gunsmiths did the work and I presume the customers were satisfied.

Jim
Old May 4, 2008, 06:18 PM   #4
ENC

This is a single shot so the magazine is not a problem, but I think also that it is a rechamber.
Old May 4, 2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Scorch

22 WMR uses .224" bullets, 22LR uses .222"-.223" bullets. In addition to wearing out the barrel fairly rapidly due to the jacketed bullets, it probably generates excessive pressure when fired, so I would avoid firing it.