The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 7, 2013, 04:24 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

Disruptive? At a PTA meeting? (PTO might be today's name, but it makes me think of Power Take Off)

Disruptive could be anything from telling some idiot that they ought to have their butt kicked to someone whining because little Johnny got unhealthy chocolate chip cookies instead of granola. Or just someone who opposed the collective group think on a particular issue.

Without a specific threat or even an incident, it means, exactly, NOTHING. ITs just an opinion, without any validation.

The principal stated she had the woman banned specifically because of the Facebook CCW post. Apparently she was not concerned enough to have her banned until she learned about the CCW. That is what I find disturbing. Describing her as disruptive, without any other info sounds like after the fact CYA to me. Or maybe I'm just being disruptive?

FYI, I chose my screen name because it seemed like the thing to do, and it reflected something unique and something I enjoyed. No concern about hiding my identity was involved. and just so you know, .44AMP has nothing to do with electricity.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:39 PM   #52
lcpiper

Quote:
Again, it is almost impossible for a civilian to find out what firearms opinions I have by doing a search by my name or by any of the normal information I'd provide to an employer. That's a major difference from the typical Facebook user.
And then, a whole bunch of nice legal handgun owners in New York had their names addresses, etc all placed on an interactive map for the entire world to access care of their local news service. And they didn't even resort to high tech wizardry, they just asked for the data and the State coughed it up.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/26/...and-addresses/
Old November 7, 2013, 04:42 PM   #53
RX-79G

None of it means anything. That includes all the supposed signs that are dug up after every mass shooting. In principle this shouldn't have happened.

Practically, it might be unfair to paint the Principal as a bigot when they are the ones responsible for the school.

People can either choose to keep their public and private life separate, or blend them and live with the consequences. There's no reason to let the same group you were feuding with at the PTA (or O) know that you carry a gun by saying so on a social network they all belong to. And having done so and it leading to a showdown with the Principle, you can either take steps to diffuse the situation that you had a role in, or leave.

I post (quasi)anonymously because I don't want to have a Dick Metcalf result for the personal opinions I have about guns, laws, child rearing or giant robots.

Last edited by RX-79G; November 7, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:57 PM   #54
lcpiper

Oh I don't think anyone is on you about using the mechanism this forum is designed to support. Some names look real, others are, and some like mine are not because I have always used such a nickname and that's been for a very long time.

I am just ensuring that people are not fooled into thinking that any of this is private or protected. You could run a litmus test, but I assure you the result would be unpleasantly positive
Old November 8, 2013, 07:40 PM   #55
Hitthespot

Just so everyone knows my user name is my real name.

If this story is true based on "face" value then it is extremely disturbing to say the least. To think an individual can at a whim take away our rights and I would argue our respect because we have a carry permit, I find, well extremely distrubing.