The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #1
shafter

38 Colt in 357 magnum??

From what I understand 38 Colt and 38 Short Colt will not work in a 357 magnum revolver. Is this really the case and why? They both seem to chamber just fine.

Thanks
Old February 14, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Bob Wright

They will work fine. Also in a .38 Special revovler.

For kicks, the .38 Short Colt in a .357 Magnum single action is about like shooting .22 Shorts.

I once shot a .38 Short Colt round into a pond. I could have made a bigger splash if I had thrown the round into the water.

Bob Wright

P.S. Though you are not likely to find them, the .38 Colt New Police round will not chamber in the .38 Special/.357 Magnum revovlers. It will fire only in .38 S&W revovlers.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Bob you are correct. I have not seen Colt New Police rounds for sale anywhere. I have an old NP revolver made by Colt I inherited from my grampa. It is the same brass dimensions as the .38 S&W with a flat point bullet. Grampa used to use nipper pliers to cut a bit off the end of the bullet so it would chamber in the Colt. The end of the bullets would stick out of the cylinder making it impossible to close.

Note the .38 S&W/.38 Colt New Police is larger in diameter than the .38 Special/.357 Mag and will not fit into the chamber of one.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Colt New Police is the .38 S&W with a flat tip bullet because some of the old Colts had very short cylinders. For most Colts chambered for the Colt NP, .38 S&W will work just fine.

Jim
Old February 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
kcub

I have a box of black powder .38 long colt. There is a local indoor range that has insulted me more than once. I'm thinking about giving them a reason. Renting a revolver and seeing how bad I can smoke it up before they kick me out.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Bob Wright

kcub:

Quote:
I have a box of black powder .38 long colt.
If this is the .38 Colt Navy round, I'd think twice about shooting them as they would be of more value to a collector.

And, depending on bullet type and headstamp, may have some collector value.

Also be aware they may likely have mecuric primers.

Bob Wright
Old February 15, 2013, 06:32 PM   #7
warningshot

Kcub

Adam Henrys at the range come and go. If you have put down roots in the area...

When my mentors instructed me to have good manners at all times, they never said it was going to be easy on my ego. But then again, who is perfect?
Old February 15, 2013, 08:49 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

Just curious . . . . I've seen the Colt 38 Long and the Colt 38 Short on the shelfs in LGS at time but never paid much attention to them. How does a box of 50 compair with a box of 38 Spl. price wise? I'm guessing they are equal or perhaps more due to less demand?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 16, 2013, 06:23 AM   #9
kcub

This is what I have:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-A38009150

I'm not going to do it, it just makes me chuckle to think about.

If I get a beater .38 I might shoot'em up outdoors sometime.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:05 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have, once in a while, fired black powder cartridges in a modern S&W revolver. Believe me, the fun is not worth the cleanup. The BP crud gets in everywhere and getting the gun clean involves removing the cylinder and sideplate, taking out all the parts, and cleaning EVERYTHING; it is a real PITA.

Jim
Old February 17, 2013, 07:39 AM   #11
darkgael

Clarity

Just to be clear.....There are two (actually three) cartridges being discussed at the same time.
The .38 Colt, both short and long, are one set of things....yes, they can be fired in revolvers chambered for the .38 Special/.357 magnum.
The there is the .38 Colt New Police, Colt's version of the .38 S&W, which cannot be fired in a gun chambered for the .38 Special; it probably will not even chamber as the case dimensions are larger than the .38 Special, and the bullet is .361 as opposed to .357.
Quote:
Note the .38 S&W/.38 Colt New Police is larger in diameter than the .38 Special/.357 Mag and will not fit into the chamber of one.
Exactly.
Pete