The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2012, 02:02 PM   #1
mohr308

Barnes TTSX for .223 rem 55gr

I had recently bought a box of the Barnes TTSX 55gr for use in my AR 5.56mm. I couldn't find a set COL for the round. I called Barnes a second time to discuss this. I explained to the guy that last time I called I was told to use a COL of 2.180 and that that length sets the ogive of the bullet into the neck of the brass. We came to the conclusion that a COL of 2.240-2.230" is the way to go. I attached a pic of one round I loaded to the COL of 2.240", which places the top of the neck right to the top of the Cannelure. Im gonna test this hopefully this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1269.JPG (144.1 KB, 64 views)
Old November 6, 2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If it works in your gun and fits in your magazine, nothing else matters.

Generally speaking, longer is better accuracy (with the caveats above) but there's no magic number and there are exceptions and limits even to that idea.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
300magman

Pretty much what Brian said.

Do you know the max COAL that will fit in your mag? Do you have a way of measuring how far out the lands are in your rifle. (this is very easy with the bolt, pump, and lever actions that I reload, but I have no experience with ARs)

I've had very good luck with Barnes bullets loading them to the recommended starting distance from the lands that Barnes suggests (confirm this on barnes website before you try it, but I think that measurement is 0.05" from the lands)

Also if you are loading your rounds much longer than the recommended COAL in your load manual than you will experience some drop in velocity with the same powder charge. (I find it significant in large diameter cases such as the 300 win mag when loading "long for caliber bullets", it may not be as noticeable in a small round like the one you are assembling) But if you are consistently comming up short on velocity compared to your book loads, that is probably part of your reason. Along with the typical gun to gun varianace of course.
Old November 7, 2012, 02:15 AM   #4
mohr308

300magman

The max length that will fit in the mag is 2.260" The most common COL for loading an AR is 2.250". The problem with these bullets, is there is no tested load data for them yet. That was my second call to Barnes to pick their brains about this bullet. I think I may do a ladder test with the same loads but different COL.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
mohr308

Quick update

I only loaded the one round and took it out when I sighted in my new scope. I sighted in using my 65gr SGK load and then tested a few other rounds. I then fired that 1 round I made (55g ttsx) and hit dead on with the bullseye I placed on a 45lb pumpkin! The hole it made was the size of my brother in laws .270! I sure cant wait to load test these things, but it will have to wait till next spring.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The data for those bullets can't be all that different for the Barnes published data for the TSX version.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-cont...mingtonWeb.pdf

As to your OAL, make sure it fits in the magazine AND works correctly in your gun, as in its not jammed in the rifling. Barnes bullets are short in front of the ogive and will be jammed in the rifling if they're seated to max OAL length specified by SAAMI. I've seen this with multiple calibers/guns.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:26 PM   #7
mohr308

Yeah, the col is my main concern with those bullets. I think with my RRA ar, the throat is a little longer than a standard 5.56 chamber, but I'm not 100%