The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 31, 2011, 11:44 PM   #1
deadduck357

Henry Mare's Leg .22

Henry sent me their Mare’s Leg for T&E review. This model is chambered for .22 Long Rifle, .22 Long and .22 Short cartridges.

The Mare’s Leg features a large loop lever, perfect for large hands or while wearing gloves.

The smooth American Walnut stock and forearm and richly blued barrel make for a very attractive firearm.

Out at the range temperature was 60° F. Variable winds 8 -12 mph. CCI and Federal ammunition was accumulated for the test.

50% sized B-27 Silhouette

All groups were 10 shots at 10 yards, standing.

5 rounds benched at 20 yards

There is a lot of fun plinking with a .22 rimfire and even more so with a lever action. It ate all the different lengths of .22 ammo tested with no malfunctions - 22 Short, Long and LR. It is kind of awkward to try and shoot; can’t really hold it like a handgun and the stock isn’t long enough to shoulder it like a rifle. I found that if I rested the buttstock against my check like you would do with a full length stock it does provide an ample amount of stability for a close range shot.

for full review - http://lead-slinger.com/henry-mares-leg-22-sllr
Old January 1, 2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Dino.

I contemplated getting the larger caliber Mare's Leg but it just looks too awkward to shoot.

The only thing that could make it even less practical would be to chamber it for .22lr.

JMO
Old January 1, 2012, 01:28 AM   #3
vostracker

Fog Horn Leg Horn

Who needs practical. Why not just for the fun of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 1, 2012, 10:00 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

This isn't meant as a "smart a _ _" remark . . .

I'm just curious. Other than the "novelty" of it and being able to go through a heck of a lot of 22 cartridges . . . just what purpose does this "sawed off on both ends" rifle serve? Maybe the nostalgia of a long ago TV western? Or more easily concealed for unlawful purposes?

I really am not trying to be a damp rag and to each their own - I respect that. If I'm going to spend the kind of money that these things cost, I personally am going to put it towards one of Henry's 22 lever action rifles . . something that I'd use for plinking, carrying on the farm or hunting - a real rifle that the novelty won't wear off of.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 1, 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
shurshot

It looks like a fun gun for taking care of "critters" in the trash can in the wee hours of the morning, or just plinking at tin cans, from the hip.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
onalandline

It's a fun gun and does not need practicality.

Does everything you guys do have to be practical? I think not.
Old July 14, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
raimius

Yeah, I agree that this falls under the "Why not? It's fun!" category. I don't have many of those, but I certainly see the attraction.
Old July 14, 2012, 05:00 PM   #8
g.willikers

It was cool when Steve McQueen carried one, and it's still cool.
Just the thing for twirling and aiming at the bad guys, while watching the three season dvd collection of Wanted, Dead or Alive.
And it wasn't all that long ago, merely 50 years or so.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:19 PM   #9
tom w

utility gun

It seems like there are no old time outdoors people out there anymore!

I need to find one of these to test. To shoot it accurately try a trick I've used for nearly four decades of shooting, if there is a tree or fence post handy put your weak hand on the tree and hold the gun against the tree with your thumb. It works amazingly well.

As for what use does it have? The 12.75 inch barrel loses only 50 fps from an 18 inch barrel so no velocity loss. So you have a short handy rifle that is no less cumbersome that a Contender or Encore although the grip might be less comfortable.

You also have 15 rounds of .22 shorts. A short barrel and short stock that will fit into a trapping pack basket. YES THIS WOULD MAKE AN IDEAL GUN FOR A TRAP LINE!! It would also be a great gun to throw in a back pack for camping or even as a grouse gun, where legal (some places you can use a .22 handgun for spruce grouse and ptarmigan). Some folks out west still pot grouse for camp food while elk hunting.

This thing definitely has more uses than just fun.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Bob Wright

I've had only a casual interest in guns like this, but I'm glad you described how to shoot the blamed thing!

Always kind of wondered about that.

On several occassions I've been asked to put down small animals suffering from injuries or wounds and delivered the shot to the back of the head holding a rifle pistol-style. I imagined that would be the way to shoot one of these.

As to practical, I've never turned down an invitation to shoot an odd gun of any kind.

Bob Wright
Old September 28, 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
PT-92

Why do women need 50+ pairs of shoes, why do some people like 5.5" screen cell phones, why do some us us have umteenth ### of guns in their collection, why do some people like a Mare's Leg chambered in .22lr...

You get the idea .

Don't get me wrong, in these times in particular one needs to focus on "practicality." Yet, last time I checked life is short (we all will die at some point ) so humans must have a little fun now and then for crying out loud!

Now, off to the weekend we go!
Old September 28, 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
sgms

Yup, one of the fun guns the type you just enjoy going out to bust cans and have fun. If I need practical I already got a bunch of those so why not a just having one for fun.
Old September 28, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
I'm just curious. Other than the "novelty" of it and being able to go through a heck of a lot of 22 cartridges . . . just what purpose does this "sawed off on both ends" rifle serve? Maybe the nostalgia of a long ago TV western? Or more easily concealed for unlawful purposes?
That's it. Same reason Rossi came out with a centerfire version.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:28 PM   #14
PT-92

Extremely popular in the cowboy action shooting sport. I have my eye on a Rossi .357 lever action carbine (with that classic octagon barrel ).

As for the Rossi Mare's Leg, for those familar how would they rate the quality of the gun relative to other vendors?

-Cheers