The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1
mniesen89

case neck getting smashed...Help!

So i went to reload some .223 today and everything was going fine until.......I started seating bullets and my first 3 catridges necks were smushing outwards like a mushrrom almost....what the heck is going on??
Old February 4, 2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Sevens

Your bullet seating die is adjusted two different ways:
1) By how far the entire die is screwed in to the press
2) By how far the screw plug on top is adjusted down to seat the bullet.

If you are making mushrooms, you need to screw the entire die out a turn or two. Then, send the round up there and see where it seats the bullet. When the bullet isn't seated deep enough, screw the top plug down a little at a time, but don't screw the whole die in further.

Now, take the mushroom rounds and pull those bullets. The bullets are still good! The brass is a loss. Make your own call about the primer.
Old February 4, 2008, 12:36 AM   #3
mniesen89

alrighty, i'll give it a shot real quick,(I dont have the balls to slvage primers)
Old February 4, 2008, 12:42 AM   #4
mniesen89

how about that! I unscrewed the die about a screw and a half and problem solved....its always the dumbest things that seem to screw up! Thanks a bunch
Old February 4, 2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Sevens

Cool, glad it worked.
Now if you aren't moving your lock ring... and you are using the same press you did last time... that die shouldn't be out of adjustment.

If you are moving the lock ring without realizing it, a screw-tight lock ring is in order. Hornady makes 'em. About 4 bucks.
Old February 4, 2008, 01:16 PM   #6
mniesen89

yeah, I'll have to look for it,probably save me the hassle and the cases!
Old February 4, 2008, 03:18 PM   #7
The Lovemaster

I've salvaged primers, it's no big deal. I just EASE the case into the decapper die REAL SLOW. I take them out because I recycle the damaged brass, and don't want somebody to get a nasty surprise down the road.