The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 31, 2013, 02:05 PM   #1
haliwa04

10/22 Barrels

Alright, i'm due for a new barrel, i guess my gun got the bad one out of the pile at ruger, or the previous owner wrecked it with a brush. But that's beside the point.

I posted a want ad on another forum, and have received several offers. I was looking for a gm or er shaw .920 barrel 18-20", but one person offered a Shooters Ridge bull barrel. I have read good reviews about the fit and finish, but not much about the accuracy. Does anyone have any experience with these barrels? I understand they are discontinued. What would be a fair price for one today, unfired? Also offered was a gm 18" stainless, smooth barrel for $85 unfired, shipped to my door. Should i be jumping on this immediately?

One more thing, does anyone have any experience with the GM subsonic barrels with 1:9 twist? I was thinking about picking one up for a later build, but not sure about not being able to shoot HV ammo.
Old December 31, 2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Pahoo

Many good choices !!!

Quote:
Alright, i'm due for a new barrel, i guess my gun got the bad one out of the pile at ruger, or the previous owner wrecked it with a brush. But that's beside the point.
I understand but what is wrong with your OEM barrel?
Generally speaking, the Shaws and GM's at good barrels. Have owned a Butler Creek and no problems there but some folks don't like them. Volts are good and I like the fluted barrels but both are a bit over-priced.

Quote:
Also offered was a gm 18" stainless, smooth barrel for $85 unfired, shipped to my door.
Personally, I would not have a problem with this barrel, including the length ..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 31, 2013, 02:33 PM   #3
haliwa04

The oem barrel is terribly inconsistent with any ammo. One day it'll give 1/2"groups, the next is 2" groups with the same ammo, same rest, same target, and shooter. I've let a few other people shoot it, and it does the same with them. One 10 shot group will be amazing, let the gun cool completely, next group, terrible. Plus, i just want a bull profile barrel. Like i said the reasonings are beside the point. I'm just asking about the barrels i've been offered so far. I know the GM barrels are great, and will probably outshoot me forever.
Old December 31, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
mxsailor803

Nothing wrong with a GM or Shaw barrel. I was lucky enough to find a Shaw on Midwayusa for 95 shipped about 2 years ago. Whistle Pig has some awesome barrels as well. If you want to go premium, Kidd all the way.
Old December 31, 2013, 04:11 PM   #5
jmr40

I bought this Shooters Ridge barrel from Cabelas a few years ago. Works for me.

Old December 31, 2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Pahoo

Entirely your call !!!

Quote:
Like i said the reasonings are beside the point.
Just asking in order to understand "a" problem. I have swapped many 10/22 barrels and orphaned just as many good OEM barrels. That is the nature of these projects. Currently down to one target model and it has a target bull, tapered barrel. I prefer the Carbon fiber, tapered and fluted barrels over the full .920 barrel. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 31, 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
1stmar

I have a green mountain, it shoots sub 1/2 moa at 50 yds consistently with good ammo (eley rifle). Shoots close to that with cci sv but not as tight or consistent.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
haliwa04

Quote:
Just asking in order to understand "a" problem. I have swapped many 10/22 barrels and orphaned just as many good OEM barrels. That is the nature of these projects. Currently down to one target model and it has a target bull, tapered barrel. I prefer the Carbon fiber, tapered and fluted barrels over the full .920 barrel. ....
The oem barrel is going to be sent off to one of the guys at RFC to clean up and i'll put it aside for later.

I think the Green Mountain is going to fill my need fairly well. I was looking at my gun last night trying to picture it with a 20" barrel and it just wouldnt look right. So, i'm going to get an 18" stainless bull barrel from a guy on RFC. Just waiting for pictures to verify condition.
A buddy of mine is going to start threading barrels soon and i might get him to do mine, but he said something about stainless not doing too well with the process. I know i've seen threaded stainless barrels, but is there a special process for stainless vs carbon?

I know, logic says to save the time, money and trouble and just buy a threaded barrel. But, for $85, i don't care if its threaded or not, you just can't pass a deal that good. I've got an inbox full of barrels for sale, so i'll probably pick up a few as time goes on if they are still available as funds are. Once i finish this 10/22, i'm going to do some work on my bolt action rifle. I'm also about to start working on an SGWorks Bullpup kit for an SKS, hopefully that doesn't turn into a disaster.
Old January 2, 2014, 02:09 PM   #9
Boomer58cal

There's nothing wrong with the Green Mountain barrel, they make good stuff.

Personally, I've had the best luck with tactical solutions barrels. In my experience they're not picky on ammo. I've had zero failures two feed and failures to extract since I've switched to the tactical solutions barrels, even with super cheap ammo.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; January 2, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old January 4, 2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Homerboy

Gotta switch the stock if you get a bull barrel.
Old January 4, 2014, 05:58 PM   #11
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerboy View Post
Gotta switch the stock if you get a bull barrel.
Nope, already opened the barrel channel up. I'll post a picture of my semi custom work in a bit. I'm a kitchen table gunsmith. Jack of all trades, master of some. I've done quite a bit of work to this gun, but now my skill level is surpassing the tool. I knew I would be upgrading barrels before the stock, so I went ahead and set it up for a bull barrel. I checked fit with my buddies butler creel barrelled 10/22. Once I get some dirt on the barrel, I'll upgrade the stock. I'm in love with one of Richards Microfit pieces and its a perfect project for me. Someone already did all the shaping and most of the inletting.
Old January 8, 2014, 06:32 PM   #12
haliwa04

Old January 8, 2014, 09:13 PM   #13
skizzums

sorry to be off topic, but saw this today, on backorder, but only til the 28th
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773..._vc=OBv1621437

that barrel looks great BTW
Old January 9, 2014, 07:38 PM   #14
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzums View Post
sorry to be off topic, but saw this today, on backorder, but only til the 28th
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773..._vc=OBv1621437

that barrel looks great BTW
If shipping weren't terrible, that'd be a great deal.

Thanks, my buddies going to blast the receiver to match. And I've got some more to do to the stock. I want to raise the comb for a better cheek weld. Once that gets old, I'm thinking a Boyds tacticool unfinished. I'm not big on thumbhole stocks for shooting, but they're great to look at.
Old January 11, 2014, 05:28 PM   #15
wnycollector

Quote:
I'm thinking a Boyds tacticool
I own two of them and they are great stocks for the money.

Also, I think you made the right choice going with the Green Mountain barrel. I own both a GM and a ER Shaw barrels and the GM barrel outshoots the Shaw with a wider range of plinking and target 22 ammo.
Old January 11, 2014, 07:38 PM   #16
haliwa04

If I could find some target ammo locally, I'd be all smiles. Right now I'm running winchester HV bulk and CCI mini mags. Is there a solution for the stuck rounds in gm barrels? I know its normal, but annoying.
Old January 11, 2014, 07:51 PM   #17
Coach Z

haliwa04 while not an answer to your last question...

Ruger customer service is second to none in my opinion, if you have a genuinely bad barrel I'm sure they would replace it for you. It looks like you have already swapped it but it wouldn't hurt calling them up, I'd be surprised if they didn't send you a call tag to ship the "bad" barrel back to them and sent you a new one. You can keep the replacement as a spare or sell it to defer the cost of the new one.
Old January 11, 2014, 11:19 PM   #18
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Z View Post
haliwa04 while not an answer to your last question...

Ruger customer service is second to none in my opinion, if you have a genuinely bad barrel I'm sure they would replace it for you. It looks like you have already swapped it but it wouldn't hurt calling them up, I'd be surprised if they didn't send you a call tag to ship the "bad" barrel back to them and sent you a new one. You can keep the replacement as a spare or sell it to defer the cost of the new one.
It wasn't rugers bad. Just the kid that sold me the gun, didn't exactly take the best care of it. It didn't help that I beat it to no end, humping it through the woods, dropping it, etc. I'm planning on sending the old barrel to que at rfc sooner or later to keep as a spare.
Old January 11, 2014, 11:47 PM   #19
WardenWolf

Some stock 10/22 barrels are just awful, mine included. Mine has simply never been able to hold a decent pattern. I've got a Boyd's Evolution stock installed, along with a Simmons 3-9x32, and I'm planning to rebarrel it as soon as I can spare the ~$200 it will take. It would have been done by now, except I moved to Virginia in October of 2012 and left that rifle behind with my parents. I'm back home now and am going to get it shipped out.
Old January 12, 2014, 03:36 AM   #20
ParabellumJ

I have an 18" GM fluted barrel on a custom build and it delivers 1/2" or better at 50 yds with cci. For the price I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Old January 12, 2014, 04:30 AM   #21
WardenWolf

I'll probably get a Green Mountain barrel for mine. A couple of years back when I looked, they didn't offer stainless, and my rifle has a stainless finish. Now all the major manufacturers offer it.

I recommend to anyone buying a new .22 rifle that they get a Savage 64 instead of a 10/22. It's much more accurate out of the box.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:04 AM   #22
ParabellumJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardenWolf View Post
I recommend to anyone buying a new .22 rifle that they get a Savage 64 instead of a 10/22. It's much more accurate out of the box.

This may be true if all you care about is accuracy out of a stock rifle, but if you want a project gun the Ruger is the way to go. Also, Ruger offers reliable 25 round magazines which make it superior as a plinker.
Old January 12, 2014, 11:20 AM   #23
WardenWolf

Most people don't want to monkey with their guns. For the vast majority of people wanting an accurate .22, the Savage will be a better gun. Ruger has left a lot of the quality to aftermarket parts, and not done much to improve the 10/22.

I had a hard choice to make with my 10/22: either spend around $300 to upgrade it, or $200 to get a Savage 64. I opted to upgrade it and get a gun that is truly mine, but I wish I had the 64 to begin with.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:29 PM   #24
L_Killkenny

No, Savage may be the more accurate, box stock gun, same may be said for the Marlin. But there is a lot more to quality than smallest groups on paper. In it's class the Ruger is the best rifle. Reliability and durability count for something you know.

Don't bother with Ruger customer service when it comes to accuracy issues. Their tolerance's are such that if you can hit the wall of a barn from the inside it meets their spec. Ask anyone with a Mini 14 or a M77 or a 10/22 that's tried to have the factory "fix" them.

Only after market barrel I have experience with is the GM's. Light years better than any barrel that comes off Rugers or Savages or Marlins floor. Nature of the beast. They don't try to build a whole gun just the barrel.
Old January 13, 2014, 05:01 PM   #25
haliwa04

Does anyone have any experience with Norma's Tac-22 ammo? I'm looking for some decent-good standard velocity ammo to do some grouping and just to stack up some boxes. The only thing i have right now is some cci mini mags which are great, and some winchester hv bulk box thats pretty good. I'm looking to take the noise level down a bit.