The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
02bigdogs17

45ACP with 230gr lead RN

I bought some hard cast lead bullets to load for my 1911 the other day. Full metal jackets are getting harder to find. I have never loaded lead bullets for my 1911 does anyone have any good load data for these. They are 230gr RN made by hunter supply. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I get started? I am planning on using Unique,or AA No.5 powder. Thanks for all the help.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:23 AM   #2
schmellba99

I've loaded and shot many a thousand cast lead through my .45's with no trouble. Just make sure any excess lube is wiped off, follow normal loading procedures and use good load data.

Unfortunatley right now I'm at work and cannot give you my specific load data for my cast lead (Friendswood Bullet Company) loads. I've never used the AA, but have used plenty of Unique with good results.

Here is Alliant's load data for Unique:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...3&cartridge=35

They list a 5.8 grain charge - I want to say that my standard range/plinking/not breaking my wrist load for Unique is 5.6 or 5.4 grains. Interesting that Alliant's site does not give a range like most other sites do, so I cannot tell you if that is a median load, min or max load and what the charge weight spread acceptable limits are.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Shootest

Read the sticky at the top of the forum, it is informative and complete.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Constrictor

I've never shot anything but lead 230 bullets through my 45's
My favorite load is 230 g lead rn from missouri bullet over 5.7 g unique.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
RickAZ

Been loading 230 RN cast for my full size Colt 1911 (fitted with a light weight para ordinace frame kit) for more than 20 years. 6.1g Unique. Never had a problem and shoots very tight groups at 25 yds. Have even busted clay birds at 100 yds with these loads.

My light weight Officer's model won't feed the 230 RN lead. Loaded 185g SWC lead with 5.7g Unique. It eats these up with no problem.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:48 PM   #6
chris in va

LRN profiles (ogive) vary greatly between manufacturers. You'll want to make a couple dummy rounds (no powder or primer, seated bullet) to determine what OAL your gun likes. Make sure they pass the plunk test in the barrel.