The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 22, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1
hopeisnotastrategy

MSRP?

I am buying 3 rifles (1 for myself and 1 for each of my sons). All 3 will be our first. I am curious what the rule of thumb is regarding a rifle's MSRP. Do rifles typically sell for right at MSRP or is it similar to buying a car or a guitar where retailers almost never fetch the actual MSRP for the product?

If it's common for rifles to sell for less than MSRP, is there a common percentage off?

I'm wanting to be knowledgeable so I can both notice a steal if I see one and not overpay. I'm a saavy shopper with several large firearms retailers in my area, so I'll shop around. Just wanting some baseline knowledge.

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

I am a former gun shop owner. But this current MSRP situation is new to me. I have been looking at several Ruger models and find their MSRP to be considerably above actual retail. There is no doubt the "street" prices vary from dealer to dealer.
Do check around and check the on-line auctions. Methinks you will save some money by being a "saavy shopper".
Let us know how your shopping trip works out.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:09 PM   #3
the rifleer

I not sure if you have any Big 5's where you live, but thats a good place to get a deal. You always have to basically act like you are going to walk away and then say you will take it if you can get the "sale price" or just a couple dollars off. I have bought 4 guns from big 5 and every time I manage to get anywhere from 20 to over $100 off.

The $100 was for a mosin nagant they had marked at $189 and I asked for the sale price and they gave it to me for $75... go figure.

I bought a Mossberg 500 that was marked at 280 or so and I knew this was the going price, but when they scanned it at the register is was $220.

I saved about $25 on both .22's that I bought. It's a good place to buy a gun.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:50 PM   #4
travywestside

go to budsgunshop.com
they usually always have prices considerably lower than MSRP
Old May 22, 2011, 02:10 PM   #5
kingkeoni

Your best bet is to check the auction sites like, "gun broker".

See what the average "buy it now" price is and thats what you should be looking to pay locally.

The gun shop where I live matches prices for any guns you find for sale elsewhere.

Its worth asking your LGS if they'll do the same.

Understand of course that the gun shop is ENTITLED to a profit.

They need to make money to stay in business.

Don't be too hard on them.
Old May 22, 2011, 04:12 PM   #6
alloy

Somebody mentioned Bud's Guns...never bought from them but if I can get a price almost as low from my local dealer I feel fine about paying the few points more than Bud's.
It seems to be a fair/decent price guide overall.
Old May 22, 2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Rob3
Registration in progress

I see Rugers, Remingtons, Savages, and most others marked around 70-80% of MSRP. Winchesters seem to go about 90-100%.
Old May 22, 2011, 05:04 PM   #8
nhsmoker

I find msrp to be off. I find that with my 60% off of s&w products I would be paying about 25-30% less than I can find something locally without doing to much searching.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:38 PM   #9
ndking1126

Actual price you pay should be lower than MSRP. I guess this isn't a universal truth in all situations, but I don't see myself paying MSRP, much less more than. If you've got a Sportsmans Warehouse, I've always thought they were pretty fair. You won't get ripped off, and you won't find the rock bottom price but you know they are being fair. Start with them, and see if anyone can beat their prices.

Buds is also a good litmus test. Don't forget in addition to Buds price, you'll have to pay your local FFL probably $25-30 to receive the firearm.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:36 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Never pay MSRP. Check the prices at Bud's for a guide line. Expect to pay more at a brick and mortar store. If you are buying three rifles at the same time that should be worth a discount.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:45 PM   #11
jmr40

It's just like buying a car. The more popular the gun and the harder it is to get, the closer to MSRP you will pay. Geographical location is a factor as well as how much competition there is locally. Sometimes it is possible to drive 50 miles from home and save $50-$100 over the cost of a gun locally. But if you figure in the cost of your time and gas, it might be cheaper to just pay up and buy locally.

Most dealers around here mark up their guns 10-15% over their actual cost. I never pay attention to MSRP's listed on line. Checking a website like www.budsgunshop.com will give you a more accurate idea of what guns should be selling for.

Used gun prices can be all over the place and are much harder to predict.

Tags
buy rifle , msrp , newbie