The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 6, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1
chasep255

NJ "Assault Pistols"

Can I legally have a threaded barrel on a Glock 20SF in NJ? I am sort of confused by the way the law reads.
Quote:
ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;
The part that confuses me is 5 due to the existence of the Glock 18.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded
Those nitwits hate little guns, but now they hate big guns, too? It's beginning to smell a lot like they just hate guns.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:43 PM   #3
jcsturgeon

What a ridiculous law. Assault pistols? They should also ban assault rocks, and assault sticks! Too dangerous!
Old February 6, 2011, 11:48 PM   #4
egor20

David and Goliath in NJ,

David would have been arrested for having an assault weapon.
Too many rocks.

my .02

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 7, 2011, 10:49 AM   #5
NJgunowner

I don't THINK a threaded barrel is a problem, but if you put anything on it... aka a silencer and get caught, you're going to jail. And since you'd be going to jail for using a silencer in this state there is no point in buying a threaded barrel.
Old February 7, 2011, 03:31 PM   #6
chasep255

I don't want a silencer (well I actually do but I can't have one). What I want is a lone wolf compensator.
Old February 7, 2011, 03:58 PM   #7
NJgunowner

I'm not sure the dummies we have to deal with here would know the difference man. NJ police and DA's aren't know for their tolerance and understanding of firearm issues.
Old February 7, 2011, 05:51 PM   #8
silentargus

NJ law requires you to pick and choose which goodies you want on your gun. This applies to rifles as well as pistols- for example, you may not legally install a stock with a pistol grip, or a folding stock, on a rifle that already has a flash suppressor or recoil compensator installed. Like it says, two or more makes it an "assault weapon"- one and only one (listed) accessory at a time. If you have mags that stick out of the grip, don't use them when you have the barrel installed (it'd be a moot point with your Glock anyway, since extended mags in your case would exceed NJ's limit of 15rds).

I believe that some or all of the law is intended to be vague. When in doubt, err on the side of caution because if you step over the line even a little bit and the law finds out, it will come down on you like a ton of bricks.
Old February 8, 2011, 12:19 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

look at it the other way...

Quote:
5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;

The part that confuses me is 5 due to the existence of the Glock 18.
The GLock 18 is a fully automatic (actually selective fire) version of a semi auto!

Not the other way around. OF course, you might have to convince a jury of that....maybe get a letter from Glock, stating which it is?
Old February 8, 2011, 12:05 PM   #10
NJgunowner

You can NOT buy a glock 18 ANYWHERE in the state of NJ so there isn't anything to explain. Anything with the ability to use full auto is illegal, end of story.
Old February 8, 2011, 04:07 PM   #11
chasep255

I know I can't buy the Glock 18 (unfortunately). However, the law is talking about a semi auto based off of a full auto.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:34 PM   #12
wally626

The Glock 18 is a version of the Glock 17, not the 20SF. So that should not be an issue. Is the Lone Wolf suppressor screwed on to the barrel or just built in? If it is one part there are no threads to worry about. How NJ feels about these issues I have no idea and am not a lawyer.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:20 PM   #13
chasep255

Why does everyone think that I need this for a suppressor? It is for a compensator.
Old February 9, 2011, 12:28 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
You can NOT buy a glock 18 ANYWHERE in the state of NJ so there isn't anything to explain]
You can't buy a GLock 18 ANYWHERE in the US. Not as a private individual. There are none in the civilian registry. Because the GLock 18 did not exist before the registry was closed in 1986. The few that are in the US are registered to dealers as "samples" (something they can use to demonstrate for their customers, which are police and military agencies only).

The dealer can take them out and shoot them, let his friends shoot them, make cool videos for UTube, but he can't sell the GLock 18 to any private citizens, not even licensed full auto collectors. Only to police and govt (military) acgencies.

One could reasonably argue that all GLOCK models after 17 are "developements" of the 17 (semiauto), and therefore, would not fall under the language of the law you are concerned about.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, my advice is worth what you paid for it. If you need actual legal advice, pay for it from an actual lawyer.
Old February 9, 2011, 02:57 PM   #15
gyvel

Quote:
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;
I suspect these morons, when they included that clause, had pistols based on MAC 10's, Uzi's, etc. in mind.
Old February 9, 2011, 04:07 PM   #16
chasep255

No I suspect that they really had all guns in mind.