The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Grimesinma

Rifled slugs from a mod choke barrel

I have a Remington 1100 with a 2-3/4 smooth-bore modified choke barrel. All of the deer hunting that I've done with this gun has been with 00 buckshot. I am considering hunting this year using rifled slugs. Now I've done some research into this and there seem to be varying opinions on the pros and cons of shooting slugs through a barrel with any choke but I thought that I would ask the question here again. I am mostly interested if it's true that the effort of compressing the slug eventually flares the end of the barrel, effectively reducing the degree of choke. Sorry if this subject has been discussed ad naseum but I did go through about 20 pages of search results before posting this.
Thanks,

Another question, how much should I expect to pay for a rifled slug barrel for a 1100?
Old August 20, 2007, 11:35 AM   #2
sargenv

The best advice I can give about this subject is to purchase 1 box of slugs. Cut a slug from the cartridge and run it through the barrel. See what kind of pressure it takes to push it through the choke. I have a Browning Gold with Invector+ removable chokes. For me I cut the slug from the shell, and then proceeded to push it through just the choke. It was snug but with finger pressure I was able to push it through the choke. I now use a modified choke for my slug shooting but will only change brands and type if I ran through this all over again with the new slug. It should not flare the end of the barrel as the steel should be adequately hard enough that the lead projectile will compress down to bore diam.
Old August 20, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

I used to use a smooth bore modified barrel for slug shooting, out of a rem 870 and found it to be fairly accurate and it did not cause any problems with the barrel. I was able to get 3" 3 shot groups at 50 yards with a cheap tasco scope and remington sluggers and it was more than enough for me back them.

Stick with a foster slugs and give them a try. There is no need to waste money on sabot loads in a smooth bore barrel.
Old August 20, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
nutty ned

I use a full choke and it does not hurt a thing.
Old August 20, 2007, 08:23 PM   #5
crowbeaner

I've shot slugs through all chokes from extra full to imp. cyinder with no problems as long as I used the Foster type. The newfangled sabots are designed for a rifled cylinder bore, and they cost too d*** much. You won't have any problems with the mod. choke you have, and some of the more inaccurate brands(RP) will actually shoot better with some choke. Hope this helps. Enjoy. CB.
Old August 20, 2007, 09:31 PM   #6
tomh1426

I didnt know that, I have a bunch of different slugs (somehow) and was always afraid to shoot them because all my shotguns are choked.
Old August 20, 2007, 09:42 PM   #7
jrothWA

With sandard choked barrel, use ...

the foster type slug, it was made to pass readily thru the choke.
There a several good scope mounts that attach to the side of receiver, you may want to increase accuracy with a good low powered shotgun scope.

You may want to consider a current 1100 choke tube barrel, then you could get a separate rifled choke tube to screw-in and be able to use the sabot slugs.

old-fashion smooth-bore barrels are more likely on the market, these would allow you to use the Brenneke slug, they are heavier and more accurate than the foster, but drop majorly after 100yds.
Old August 20, 2007, 10:39 PM   #8
williamd

Have used slugs in IC to F with satisfactory results. My Ithaca SKB likes the M bbl, my 870 likes a full. Seems to vary a bit bbl to bbl. Since you are undoubtedly not thinking long range it is probably not a big deal. BBL damage ... bbl's are hard, lead is soft ... never worried about it ... never damaged a bbl.
Old August 21, 2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Grimesinma

Thanks for all of the replies. I've looked at several 1100 rifled slug barrels which seem to run about $250 - 350 used. I think I will stick with my current barrel and load a slug for the first round and 00 buckshot for the second.