The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old November 7, 2005, 11:46 PM   #1
H&K Fan

Odd experience with reloading supplies

Visited a little brick and mortar gun shop today which is definitely not local to me, it was 90 miles one way to get there. Bought some primers and a few bullets I needed and would have bought some gunpowder BUT, he had re-packaged almost every container he had. Even if he didn't "skim" some powder off each container and did get the right label on the right container, why on earth would a retailer do that? He also has a little sideline in buying Midway plastic ammo boxes, loading up the loads to fill them and selling you both the reloads and the box. Nothing wrong with that, I must admit.

Anyone have a good explanation for why the powder shuffle is taking place? I was too stunned to actually address the issue with him and now wish I had asked what the deal is. The trip to his store was a side trip to kill time during a medical procedure the better half underwent. Prices on his firearms weren't too bad, I have seen local shops asking more $ for relatively common firearms.
Old November 7, 2005, 11:59 PM   #2
LHB1

Sounds like the owner may have been buying large containers of powder (8 lb kegs) at a lower price per lb and splitting it up into multiple one pound containers. He could make more money this way BUT I WOULD NOT TRUST HIM WITH MY EYES/HANDS/LIFE!! Thanks but I will continue to buy powder in the original containers. (Yes, I know that powder is actually obtained in bulk lots and repackaged by Hodgdon, Winchester, etc. but that is different than trusting some local merchant to repackage powder.)

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old November 8, 2005, 12:25 AM   #3
H&K Fan

LB, I agree with your assessment. The odd thing was some of the "cans" were literally plastic coffee cans. Guy seemed pleasant enough, hope he has good retail insurance should something go wrong with his repackaging. Scary part is, someone MUST be buying this mess or I don't believe he would continue to do it....
Old November 12, 2005, 03:53 AM   #4
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I would question if it's legal to sell powder if it's not in it's original wrapper with all the warnings, directions, haz mat info, and whatever else is on the original can. I don't know, but just my guess that it's not what the ATF, DOT, Fire Marshal etc. etc. etc. would allow as legal.

I agree, that he is more than likely just making it availible to more people by dividing it up and in addition, he makes a few extra bucks too.

Makes me think of things like candy bars (not labeled for individual sale), buying Gasoline for your lawnmower in a glass jug, the seal on a bottle of scotch or cigars broken and resold etc. There must be a law or two somewhere being broken IMO.

Interesting post. Maybe someone in here has the answer.
Old November 13, 2005, 02:34 AM   #5
ClarkEMyers

Sounds like breaking bulk to me an old practice in America

Lots of things that used to be divvied up at the point of retail sale - maybe shipped in barrels and sold by weight in the old hardware stores.

I liked being able to buy just enough and none left over myself from Don B. at Keg of Powder in Half Day Illinois many years ago - of course when it flared on him witnesses said it was like a piece of the sun - killed him and burned the block down.
Old November 13, 2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Hairtrigger

Mylocal shop buys powder in kegs and sells it off by the pound.
He pours it from the container on the scale while you wait and passes the savings on.
This is a friend that I trust and have for years.
I have no question if it is legal, Atleast with firearms he seems to follow the letter of the law
Old November 23, 2005, 01:40 PM   #7
Jart

Repackaging at the retail level is a time honored tradition. Pharmacies jump immediately to mind. I'll grant pharmacists are licensed. Perhaps he would be as well if he was dispensing heart medication instead of propellant.

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of all cyanoacrylate adhesive sold is repack - although this is typically with professional-looking labels (applied in someone's garage).

I doubt I'd have an issue with it if I knew the guy. I might be leery of it if I'd just found the place while driving around. If you don't trust him or the practice, don't buy there.

Or bring your own 1 lb container and ask him to "fill 'er up" and watch while the keg comes out / verify on the spot.
Old November 24, 2005, 02:09 PM   #8
H&K Fan

Quote:
doubt I'd have an issue with it if I knew the guy. I might be leery of it if I'd just found the place while driving around. If you don't trust him or the practice, don't buy there.
You did read my post, right? I found the place by driving around. So by definition I don't know the guy. Plus the way the powder was repackaged to me was odd - handmade labels and plastic cofee containers. Guess that's why I didn't purchase any gunpowder from him. I like my reloading containers to be factory sealed when I buy them. If that costs me a few bucks, so be it.