The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 1999, 10:32 PM   #1
jnsn

My wife is thining about getting a used 20ga browning A-5 . Is there anything she should know/watch out for? Thanks
Old December 28, 1999, 10:51 PM   #2
Kingcreek

I am only familiar with the older Belgian Brownings but sometimes the used ones are missing the friction rings to step up to high brass loads. People would remove them so they cycled with target or low brass shells and then they would misplace them. Pull the forestock off to check.
Other than that, I can't think of any common problems that wouldn't be apparent in a good visual going-over. As with other Browning designs- failures were pretty rare.
Old December 30, 1999, 07:26 PM   #3
Jonathan Chenault

yeah i agree you should check the friction ings because if you shoot a powerful load without the friction rings working the slide will lock open after everyshot and become quite a hastle to your wife
Old January 2, 2000, 06:22 AM   #4
jnsn

Well thanks for the input, I'll have to look for that. She did end up buying it and we went shooting yesterday and it went well.To me it feels like shooting an air rifle- very soft! But she still can feel it so now I will change the buttpad to a softer one(it has a hard piece of plactic). I am pretty sure that once she is shooting at something she will not notice the recoil. Her father had her shoot a twelve gauge when she was fourteen and she ended up with a big bruise and has been shy about shotguns since.