The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Ruger 22/45 or S&W 22A-1
Ruger 22/45 31 86.11%
S&W 22A-1 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 23, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
bamiller

Ruger 22/45 or S&W 22A-1?

Considering the purchase of a .22 for range target shooting and to be honest know nothing about them. What little bit I've read I'm leaning towards either the Ruger 22/45 or the S&W 22A-1. Would appreciate comments on either or welcome other suggestions.
Old February 23, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
cubsin2079

I was looking at the same 2 a while back. I think the grip on the 22/45 is possibly the worst of any firearm I have ever held. That is not a joke. They are not changable either. Then my buddy let me try his Buckmark URX and I knew the shopping was over. Price wasnt too bad either 299 without the colored front site and 330 with the colored front site. I know you didnt mention this in your poll but this was my experience. Happy shopping!!
Old February 23, 2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Leejack

I'm contemplating one of these guns myself.

Couple things to consider befor jumping (keep in mind that Smith and Ruger have always been my 2 favorite manufacturers):

The disassembly on the Ruger is ridiculous. Watch the vidoes on the website. You got to be kidding me. I've been to 4 stores including Lowes and Home Depot looking for a plastic or wooden hammer and a drift. They look at you like you're crazy. They don't carry them. Ruger warranty, maybe a B+.

People squawk about the plastic spacer on the Smith. So what if you have to change it every once in a while, 3 come with the gun and Smith will send them to you free if you ask. Changing it is nothing. No tools required for takedown. Smith warranty, second to none.

Browning has no warranty, check out their website and try to find it. I couldn't so I called. Here's what the lady told me: There is no warranty; it's an "implied warranty". What does that mean I asked? It means you send in the gun at your expense, and we determine if it is our defect. If it is, we'll fix it for free for up to five years. Key words: "your air shipping expense", and "they determine" if it was their fault. See ya!

I think both the guns you mentioned are good guns. There are probably more Rugers out there and Ruger will easily win your poll, but don't sell the Smith short, or the Browning for that matter. These are all good guns. There are countless thousands of people having lots of fun with these guns every day. When somebody chimes in and bashes any of these guns, take it with a grain of salt.

You won't go wrong with the one you pick. I think there are pros and cons for each, but they are all good.

Lee
Old February 23, 2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Brian48

I'd pick the 22/45, but I really HATE that you need manually push down on the bolt release in order to chamber a round. It's not bad at first, but after a while, it becomes incredibly stiff and thanks to it being a little rinky dink button, you thumb starts to hurt after a while as well. There's mod that you apply to allow bolt release using the old slingshot method, but you're relying on gravity to do the work since there's no spring force like all the other Rugers.

If you haven't guess, yes. I do own a 22/45. It's the least favorite of my Ruger .22lrs.
Old February 24, 2010, 12:04 AM   #5
mlk18

I have owned them both, and sold them both. I did however slightly prefer the 22/45 to the Smith. And I am a big fan of S&W, so that's saying something. I hate it when people ask for opinions of something specific and someone jumps in with "what about this gun" or "what about that gun" but I would look at other options as well.
Old February 24, 2010, 01:08 AM   #6
kozak6

Quote:
I think the grip on the 22/45 is possibly the worst of any firearm I have ever held
I handled a MKIII 22/45, and it felt like aiming a pack of cards. Any reason you are staying away from the metal framed non-22/45 model?

However, the magazine release on the S&W 22A is on the front strap of the pistol, which is also really obnoxious.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:11 AM   #7
3 gun

At 87% Ruger v 13% S&W I'm surprised it's even that close. I'd bet the gap would even be bigger if the Ruger was a MkII 22/45. I understand the new 22/45 will take and standard 1911 panels as a replacement, a huge plus in my book.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:13 AM   #8
GojuBrian

Have you considered a browning buckmark? I like them better

www.gunfacts.info
Old February 24, 2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Logs

I have the 22a, 22/45 and Ruger slabside. I like the grip and feel of the all metal Rugers the best. Next it would be the Smith. I like how the Smith has a nice top rail for sites. My 22/45 shoots good, but the grip isn't very comfortable.

Look at the the metal handle Rugers.
Old February 24, 2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Pud

22/45 grip issue....

Hey the 22/45 can have a GREAT grip......IF you order a set of grips from Dominic.
I got a set(Like 18.00 for the set), and they make a WORLD of difference in how the pistol sets in your hand.
Also EASY to install, will take you all of 15 mins to put them on....
Check out the thread here to find all you need to know---

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...273560&page=10

And, I have no ties at all to the guy selling them, just a very satisfied customer!

Pud
Ruger P97 / Ruger SR1911 CMD / Ruger SR9c / S&M M&P 15 Sport/Ruger Mk 3 22/45.
Old February 24, 2010, 08:19 AM   #11
OldShooter

I picked the 22/45 out of the two choices because it's a Ruger. However I don't like the grip of the 22/45, too small for my hand and I don't like the extra safety features of the MkIII over the MkII. That being said, they are durable and accurate pistols. Disassembly/reassembly of the Rugers is not a real problem if you can read the manual and follow simple instructions. I've never had to use a mallet to remove the barrel. Just put it against the workbench and push on the grip. It's stiff the first time then gets easier.

I didn't pick the 22a-1 because I had one and it (this is just my one isolated instance) was a piece of junk, very fussy about ammo and had some slam fires.

I also have a Buckmark which I wouldn't part with. Many thousands of rounds through annually and still going strong, accurate and reliable with any ammo.

And I haven't gone sour on S&W, I have a model 41 which speaks for itself.

Good luck.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:16 AM   #12
EdInk

I voted for the Ruger 22/45. The grip is supposed to mimic a 1911 but doesn't feel exactly the same. However, it is still comfortable and even though the MK3 has way more than enough safeties the design is reliable and shoots well
The OP said you're open to suggestions. The Browning Buckmarks and Beretta Neos are both very popular. Also, you may checkout the 1911 look-a-like from ATI. (ATI is just an importer but the GSG they brought over from Germany is awesome and helped make the .22 "cool" to shoot.) I have no experience with the ATI 1911 copy, so research it. Lastly, I know that some guns have .22 conversion kits available.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:24 AM   #13
aarondhgraham

Hold them in your hand to decide,,,

The main factor for you to consider is which one fits your hand the best.

If every other factor was the same (which they are not),,,
The size of the grips are radically different between the two pistols.

The S&W 22A has a somewhat fat grip,,,
The 22/45 is much narrower.

They are both fine fieryarms with their own + & - features,,,
But none of the good features of either will matter if it doesn't fit your hand
That's what is much more important than almost any other factor being talked about here.

Which one fits your hand the best?
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 24, 2010, 03:26 PM   #14
chris in va

I had a MkIII and MkII 22/45 as my first pistols. The newer version had lots of feeding problems, the older one was flawless but as mentioned above you can't do anything with the grip, although apparently someone has worked around that to a point. The older version has a slightly thicker grip which felt better to me.

I've been extremely pleased with my CZ Kadet. If you already have a centerfire pistol, consider getting a slide kit for it instead.
Old February 24, 2010, 03:39 PM   #15
kiov

I picked the Ruger over the Smith myself.

Then my friend got a Buckmark. I like it better than either of the others, but the Ruger is a solid gun.

I dont like the trigger on the kadet, but i have that too.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Jkwas

Well, I have a 22A and find it to be a very accurate and serviceable target gun. It has excellent adjustable sights and a full length weaver rail on top to mount optics. Also you can buy different barrels from S&W and when you remove your barrel for cleaning the sights stay on it, no need to re-adjust them. Take down and re-assembly is very quick and to be honest you really don't even need to because you could drive a truck through the chamber area. It is ugly however and the Ruger beats it out in style points.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:41 PM   #17
bamiller

Wow. Seems like the Ruger is an overwhelming favorite...in the poll anyway. As I stated in my orignal post I know nothing about range/target pistols but if I had to pick one on the looks I would go with the S&W. One poster said its ugly but I actually think it looks cool and like the fact of the rail to accept optics. I doubt if I'll ever shoot competition and actually am just looking for a .22 to replace my CZ P-01 as a range pistol to save money. .25 per round versus .05 per round can make quite a difference after a while. I considered the CZ Kadet for my P-01 but not sure if that would be a wise choice Besides the Kadet costs $400 and I can get the Ruger or S&W for $240 and have a totally separate pistol.