The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2010, 08:51 AM   #1
bhw4235

Chargemaster 1500 rcbs problem

I bought a chargemaster 1500 rcbs yesterday and set it up last night I tried to calabrate it just like the directions said and when i put the 50g weight that it came with on the plate it just says error. Also i did'nt use the powder pan just like the directions said. I have sent rcbs a e-mail because there hours will be impossable for me to call them and i have heard it could take up to 3 days to get a answer, so has anyone ran into this problem before.If so i could sure use some help.
Thanks bw
Old January 20, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2
gearheadpyro

It's possible that you are pressing down to hard on the scale when you set the weight down. You need to gently place it on the scale, not drop it or firmly press.

I hadn't looked at the directions in a while, so I don't know how they read. Calibration is done by turning the scale on, then removing the powder pan and pressing calibrate. It will say 0g, press calibrate to set the zero weight. Then it will say 50g, now you gently set one of the weights on the tray and press calibrate again. Then it will say 100g, add the other weight and press calibrate yet again. The scale should be ready for use now.

It's a great tool, once you get it figured out I'm sure you'll love it.
Old January 20, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Nomo4me

I think you might be doing the calibrating process wrong. You don't put the first weight on until it says "50g". Then you place the weight on and hit the button again and it will say "100g". Then place the 2nd weight. When it says 100g and beeps you are done. Place the pan and hit zero.
Old January 21, 2010, 04:52 PM   #4
crimsondave

Are you doing it this way?

hit "Cal"

when it reads a steady "0" hit cal again.

when it reads a steady "50" put the 50 weight on and hit "Cal" again.

when it reads a steady "100" put the 100 weight on and hit "Cal" again.

then you're done.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:12 AM   #5
bhw4235

Thanks for your time.
Yes that is how i'm doing it, took the powder pan off turned it on,pushed cal. when it read 0g and steady i pushed cal. again, then it said 50g i placed the 50g weight on the plate and pushed cal. again the display looked like this ----and then beeped and sayed error. I have Leveled it, it is the only thing plugged in to the outlet the door to my room is shut, no fans or heat/air, no floresant lights.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:40 AM   #6
crimsondave

Dang. Sounds like a defective unit. I'm sure RCBS will fix you up right.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:28 AM   #7
fella5

I just exchanged mine not to long ago. I had and issue with the scale not zeroing. Called RCBS and it was an issue with the keypad. Sounds like yours is different. The directions that crimsondave posted is correct. I would wait a couple seconds after each weight (0,50,100) when the scale shows steady then slowly press Cal again. I've only had the ---- once when calibrating, because the steady was fluctuating.

Scott
Old January 23, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
highvel

Scale vibration?

Do you have a radio on near the scale?
A radio will keep my scale from calibration due to its vibration.