The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 10, 2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

cracked or broken firing pins... Rossi / Puma / Braztech ???

picked up my 2nd south of the border made lever action... 1st was a pre safety 38 / 357... nice gun, engraved extra grade wood saddle ring carbine... I used that for my 1st 1/2 year CASS... & it's ready for my wife to use next year... my new one is one of those Puma stainless & brass 45 Colts... awesome looking rifle with brass frame, butt plate & forend hardware everything else is stainless & it wears an octogon barrel... unfortunately this one had the little flip safety, which I hated, so I had it removed & a stainless plug made... when my machinist put it back together, he didn't notice the tiny spring for the rebounding firing pin, until it was already back together & thought the pin was on the short side even for a rebounding firing pin... so, I tried out the gun, & it would not fire consistantly without the spring...

at this point, we discussed that he has made 2-3 firing pins for these rifles, as they are appearently cast, & have many weak spots that crack with how brittle they are... so I had him make me up a longer ( non rebounding ) firing pin out of good tool steel ( which he has done several times already, with good results for other rifles )... I'm super happy with my set up now, as I still have the stock firing pin, & safety parts I can put back in should I decide to sell the rifle again...

This had me wondering, as at least one of the guns he's repaired in the past, was used for CASS, & he's repaired both safety & pre-safety guns... any of you broken those cast firing pins on your "south of the border" lever guns ???
Old January 10, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

I've got two rossis now, and have thousands of rounds through them- no problems, other than they are smoother now.