The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 30, 2008, 11:41 PM   #1
GunConvert

Out of the Box Cleaning

Hello all. This is my first post ever! I've been lurking on these forums for a long time and decided and this seems like a group of very well informed people.

I have never fired a weapon in my life...but ever since I started to read the newspaper I've felt the need for some way to defend myself. I've discovered a vast wealth of information in the form of good friends whom I never knew carried a weapon and they have all offered to let me try out thier guns to see what I like best...that being said lets get to the meat and potatoes of what I wanted to ask!

Since I am a brand new shooter I came to the conclusion that a revolver would be better then an autoloader for its simplcity and ease of use. I read a lot about proper gun cleaning AFTER a shooting session but not much about cleaning the weapon when you bring it home for the first time.

Whats a good process for a first time, out of the box, cleaning for a revolver??

(I'm excited to share that I will be soon purchasing either a S&W 637 or 442 and maybe the ruger Sp-101)

Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing from all of you
Old December 31, 2008, 12:11 AM   #2
LHB1

Welcome to the forum. Cleaning is cleaning. I use the same cleaning style, technique whether the gun is new or just fired. IMO the main purpose of cleaning a new gun is to make sure there isn't any debris left in the gun from manufacture and that it is properly lubricated before firing. Also check out normal operation of the pistol and practice some dry firing BUT BE SURE THE GUN IS ABSOLUTELY, TOTALLY UNLOADED OF AMMO!!!
Old December 31, 2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Tom2

New guns come from the factory with some sort of lubrication or protective film on the components inside. Do not be tempted to put alot of oil into the openings on the gun and let run down inside or something. If it is a blued gun, you probably will want some kind of non messy protective film on the outside of the gun to prevent rust, though. One I use is called Eezox, a synthetic protective film/lube that I wipe on the gun to prevent rust from handling. But if you get one of those silicone cloths and wipe the UNLOADED gun well after handling, it should suffice for now. First thing when you get a new gun like that is probably to inspect it carefully and make sure it functions properly. That is in a safe manner, making sure the gun is not loaded each time you inspect it or handle it. You should maybe just run a dry cleaning patch in the chambers and barrel to make sure any oil or crud is removed before firing or carrying it. It might come from the factory with that kind of stuff in the barrel or chambers. Otherwise take it to the range after inspection and fire at will in a safe manner! Then you will be introduced to gun cleaning after firing as a routine. You need to establish a safe routine for handling or storing if it is your primary SD gun though. Like always assume it is loaded until you PROVE otherwise. I keep one of my revolvers always loaded, and therefore treat it as such all the time! All other guns are not loaded around here. They could be loaded on short notice but I never keep anything else loaded except the one gun. That is flexible if circumstances ever dictated. Maybe I am getting ahead of you with the safety and handling stuff, but basically, the gun may come from the factory with a little crud in it, they do test fire them before shipment, and the amount of cleaning before shipment may be a quickie and then they might put some oil or protectant in the bore that you would want to wipe out and inspect for obstructions before you first fire it.

Tags
cleaning , revolver