The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
tido879

S&W Sigma 9VE

Thinking of making this my first handgun purchase. If there is a reason not to buy this gun please let me know, it did seem a little too reasonable priced.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:53 PM   #2
mellow_c

SW9VE is a fantastically great gun considering the price. I've seen nothing but 100% reliability from them. Just learn to handle the trigger and you'll be happy you have it.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:17 PM   #3
kinggabby

Just got my SW9VE to the range for the first time 300 rounds no issues... Other than heavy trigger pull awesome so far.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Rugerismisticness

Search the web as hard as I did and you still won't find a negative thing about the sigma, except for the trigger. The trigger breaks in and gets smoother. If you think of it like a DA revolver, the trigger isn't bad. There are also many modifications to smooth and lighten the trigger to around 6lbs (S&W forum). My sigma hasn't been shot for some time, but when I bought it, I put 2500 rnds through it shooting every month. Never a jam.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Sarge

I have the 40VE and have been nothing but pleased with it.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:32 PM   #6
blchandl2

My SW9VE ownership experience was anything but positive. I could not get more than 3 consecutive shots without some type of failure. Tried multiple magazines, ammo, and shooters. It was a dud.

All manufacturers make a bad one from time to time. First impressions are lasting impressions.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:39 PM   #7
bossman

Go for it, they're a great gun for the money. I can't even venture a guess at how many rounds I have down range. No problems what so ever.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:18 PM   #8
AustinTX

In my experience, they're solid, no-frills, reliable guns. The trigger is not particularly good, but it's better than that of the old Sigma. Ergonomics are nice. And the gun is backed by S&W's unsurpassed customer service.

If I were shopping in that price range, I would buy a Ruger P95 instead, but that's just my preference.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:27 PM   #9
kinggabby

Just a word of warning changing the trigger pull ( according to an email I received from S&W ) would void your warranty.

Branchesi,​Frank

[email protected]
Branchesi,Frank
[email protected]

* Send email
* Find email

Add to contacts
To David
Sent: Fri 3/18/11 6:37 AM
To: David *******@*******.com)

Hi, yes it could void your warranty. Although the trigger is stiffer than most the good news is the trigger pull will get better with use.

Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:07 AM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: SW9ve

I recently purchased a Sigma and I know it has a heavy trigger pull. My question is if I were to have the trigger pull lowered to about 5-6 lbs would that void my warranty? I wanted to ask you all first. Because I don't want to have that voided.

Thank you
New Sigma Owner
Old March 26, 2011, 11:11 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

Great guns for the money. Reliable, inexpensive, solid ergonomics, excellent capacity, & able to accept rail accessories (with $10 adapter). Even the heavy trigger has a purpose in adrenaline charged situations.
Old March 26, 2011, 11:17 PM   #11
mellow_c

Onward Allusion...
Do you have a link to that adapter for rail accessories????
Old March 27, 2011, 12:12 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

Allows you to use standard Picatinney accessories.

http://www.shop.laserlyte.com/produc...&categoryId=10

It comes in two pieces that clamp onto your non-std rail. BTW, the trick to installing these things is to thread the hex nut with the screw and use that to push the hex nut into it's recepticle & unthread the screw to leave the nut in place. Otherwise it is a nightmare trying to drop a hex nut in to connect the two parts.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:40 AM   #13
38superhero

Get it...
Old March 27, 2011, 01:17 AM   #14
microman

They are ok guns. Just a little heavy trigger thats all.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:57 AM   #15
Leejack

I like the sigma. No frills, reliable, simple to operate and take apart, lots of fun.
Old March 27, 2011, 07:46 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

For the money, they are great guns. The trigger can be pretty gritty, and I'll be honest, I think their triggers are terrible. With that said, my buddy has one and despite the trigger, it's a good shooting gun that is reliable and accurate.

I'd asked to dry fire one and if you can live with the trigger, it is a good choice.

Also look at the Ruger P95 and compare it to the Sigma. Both are good guns but I think the Ruger has a better trigger.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:21 AM   #17
Marlin.357

Good gun for the money. Very good ergonomics, small grip, good for us folks with short fingers. Trigger pull is long and heavy, similar to a double action revolver. Will smooth out and get a little lighter with use. No external safeties, just point & shoot. No mag safety either.

it's not a target pistol, but IMHO a good home defense, or self-defense pistol.
Old March 27, 2011, 07:34 PM   #18
ThomasT

I am on my second Sigma, I sold the first because I didn't like the feel of the trigger. I regretted selling that gun because it always worked. No matter what ammo.

So I bought a second gun that was all black and came with a high intensity flashlight plus a $50 rebate and two free mags. One heck of a promotion for a $300 pistol. It shot just fine too and looks 10 times better than the silver and black.

It did have a gritty trigger and no amount of lube would make it better. I watched a video on doing a trigger job and did that. I didn't do all that was recommended to do in the video. The biggest improvement came from from removing the inner spring from the two piece trigger spring. The video recommended removing a second spring also and I did that but there didn't seem to be a big improvement so I left the the second spring in place.

Its still not a super good trigger but light years better than it was. The fix was easy to do and would be very easy to undo if I ever want to sell it. I think it is one of the best handgun values you can get. I don't have anymore in this gun than I would have in a HiPoint 9mm pistol and its a good easy to shoot gun.
Old March 31, 2011, 06:16 PM   #19
littleman

I got a new SW40VE at the first of March. I fired it 30 rounds with no problems and good accuracy. I had put a drop of Militech 1 up in the striker area. S&W told me by email that it would not harm the gun to dry fire, so I did this quite a few times. The trigger pull got better. And then, I dry fired it 2 days ago so I could remove the slide. When I pulled the trigger, the tip of the striker broke off and fell into my shoe; lucky, or I would not have known it until I might have needed the gun RIGHT NOW. My dealer has it enroute to S&W; he is a licenced S&W armorer, but they will not send him the part to fix it! Brownells site says the Sigma striker is STRICTLY factory installed ONLY.

Tags
9mm , smith & wesson