The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 11, 2001, 09:58 PM   #1
Charmedlyfe

OK, I need some SERIOUS help here.

As everyone knows, getting Colt to do anything is impossible. That said:

I have a Cobra that had the topstrap twisted slightly, and a crack on the left-side of the firing pin hole. I can't get Colt to replace the frame or gun (happened with Federal factory 38spcl normal pressuer 125gr), and it means too much for me to simply strip it. This was my dad's LE gun, and it has way too much sentimental value to me.

I need to know if anyone can do a weld and refinish on this alloy frame (supposed to be magnesium alloy). I know when a job is beyond me. The steel cylinder checked out OK.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME SAVE THIS GUN????
Old May 11, 2001, 11:20 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The Cobra has an aluminum alloy frame, not magnesium.
I'm sorry to say that I doubt very much if any reputable pistolsmith will attempt to repair that kind of damage. Trying to straighten a "tweaked" frame is almost impossible to get right. One with a crack in the firing pin hole is simply not repairable since that is the recoil surface.

I would think that your only hope is to get Colt to fit a new frame, but if they simple won't, I would suggest mounting it in a nice frame and displaying it. One of my customers did this with a rusted out S&W snub. He mounted it in a glass fronted frame, with a brass plate giving the name of it's owner, and details of it's use.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but some things just aren't repairable at any cost.
Old May 11, 2001, 11:25 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Charmedlyfe,

In my opinion and experience, sorry, but no. Remove the firing pin to keep it from being fired accidentally and keep it as a memento. Alternatively, have Colt replace the frame (if they have any frames left) and pay them what they ask. It would be difficult if not impossible to prove that the damage was due to a factory defect, and the gun is probably long out of warranty in any case.

A fact of life is that guns sometimes break and are not repairable. Alloy frames are more subject to cracking and peening than steel, but guns of all types have had parts crack or break.

Jim
Old May 12, 2001, 11:54 AM   #4
WalterGAII

IF Colt were like Glock, you'd have your revolver repaired, free, regardless of age. Colt must have the worst customer service on Earth.
Old May 12, 2001, 12:51 PM   #5
johnbt

Yes, free lifetime repair would be the best, but Glocks are relatively new and can't be any older than 18(introduced in 1983). The Cobra was introduced in 1950. Maybe some of us will live long enough to see how Glock handles customer service when their first guns have 40 or 50 years of use on them. I wonder if Glock will be around, as a company, as long as Colt already has - 165 years? Just musing, I won't be around that long.

John
Old May 12, 2001, 02:26 PM   #6
Charmedlyfe

Actually, Colt was pretty rude about the whole thing. Anyone know of any company that has a frame for sale?

As to Glock, that plastic frame is pretty cheap, so they probably WILL replace them in 50 years...

Walter, I didn't ask about glock.....I had a specific issue with a specific weapon that IS NOT A GLOCK, so I'd appreciate it if you'd SHUT UP ABOUT GLOCK. What, you guys have an inferiority complex with your tactical tupperware? You have to try to push that Glock imperfection drivel on EVERYONE, even when off-topic?

I'M SICK OF ALL THIS GLOCK WORSHIP! GIVE IT A REST!
Old May 12, 2001, 02:46 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

I guess Colt HAS changed since I last dealt with them. They used to be more polite. Try another letter and/or a phone call. If all else fails, try Gun Parts Corp. They often have frames for older guns. OR buy a Cobra, and have a good smith switch everything over. I wonder if Colt has any frames left. The Cobra and Detective Special manuals stated that they were to be returned to the factory for a check-up and possible frame replacement after a certain number of +P ammo was fired. (I think it was 1500 rounds for the Cobra).
]
In any event another attempt with Colt might be in order. Be polite (I know, I know) and if necessary, ask to speak to a supervisor. ASKING to pay for a frame replacement job may get results, where DEMANDING they replace a frame for free because of a defect may not. The last time I DID deal with Colt, I got some person who I just got off on the wrong foot with. She just couldn't seem to understand what I wanted, and got a little snippy. As I was not satisified, I wrote a letter and got a very good response, and service on my problem. Please let us know how this works out for you.
Old May 12, 2001, 10:21 PM   #8
WalterGAII

Charmed: I was merely making a comparison between two companies: One with excellent customer service and another with lousy customer service. I didn't mention anything about the relative quality of the guns.

What you lack in charm, you make up in reading comprehension and cogent expression.

Have a wonderful life and kiss ol' Rusty!

BTW, You're the dumbass with the screwed-up gun, not I!
Old May 13, 2001, 01:17 PM   #9
Charmedlyfe

Mea culpa. I must admit I'm just a little sick and tired of all the glock stuff coming up in non-glock related topics. I tend to get a little sensitive, especially when I'm really hoping for some good information.

Walter, BYTE ME. What you said contributed NOTHING. It in fact had NO RELATION to the original quare. If you happen to know someone who can repair an alloy frame, or a company who has a frame for sale, THAT would be helpful.

'Dumbass with the screwed-up gun'??? [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? How does having a topstrap lift with factory ammo make ME a 'dumbass'? The 'screwed-up gun' part, I concede.

If you can't take the heat, get your plastic-gun-carryin' tail outta here before it MELTS.

Old May 13, 2001, 03:04 PM   #10
Romulus

This is starting to sound like my soccer forum...Charmed, I can only try to put myself in your shoes, and in your shoes I would do the following: clean up the gun and put it in a fancy permanent display, like a little sanctuary, a sacred memento. How could I still consider it my pop's gun with a different frame on it? But that's just me...

Sounds like the world of firearms manufacturing is goin to hell fast - bad customer relations seem to be the norm these days. That just sucks.
Old May 13, 2001, 03:44 PM   #11
Charmedlyfe

Yeah, I think y'all are right. I'll just tweak the topstrap a little for looks, then mount it (after dealing with the firing pin. Romulus, Stoppint to think about it, you're right. I'd still love to find someone woho could actually repair it, but it wouldn't be the same with a different frame. I WILL have to find a new one for myself, though.

Thanks, guys!!! (MOST of you, anyway....)