The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1
burrhead

Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 BDC

Just finished an AR A3 upper build using a take off 20” HBAR 1/7 barrel and a free float tube. Only the barrel and BCG are new, everything else are parts I had laying around. The plan is long range coyotes and 400 yard+ paper punching. Right now I've got a Troy flip up rear sight modified with a 0.050 aperture (bought before the “troubles”) and a F front sight. I want to put on a decent variable scope but I can't justify to SWMBO dropping real money into a toy.

So I'm thinking about a Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 BDC. Yes, I'd prefer a Leupold but I like being married. A Monarch may be in the cards but that's pushing it. Anyway, what do OWNERS of Buckmasters think? Good enough or pass?

TIA

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old November 3, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Sierra280

I don't have a monarch, just a prostaff 4-12 (which I am selling) the Nikons seem good for the money, but the BDC reticle is pretty much worthless. Last time I went to the range I went specifically to test it. Did it as per the instructions, zeroed the scope at max power (12x) at 100yds.

Then put targets at 200 and 300. Fired 5 shots at 200yds with the crosshairs on the bullseye horizontal centerline, then put the first (200) hold over circle on the bull and fired 5 shots. My first 5 shots were exactly the same distance below the target centerline, as my second 5 shots were above it. Same thing at 300yds. If you are going with Nikon, just get the mil-dot or regular reticle and you should be good. Just don't plan on accurate holdovers with the BDC.

For reference, I was shooting a 308 with surplus FMJ NATO 147grs.
Old November 3, 2013, 06:21 PM   #3
ntg

I looked at that scope closely for my last purchase. The 4.5-14x44 legend HD I got was clearly better to me. Compare them side by side if you can . They did have a rebate... Look and see if they still do.
Old November 4, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Karys

I'm happy with both of my Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scopes. One has a standard duplex reticle and the other has mil dots. I'm not a fan of the BDC.

The one thing that impressed me was how well these scopes gather light at the beginning and end of the day.

The one with the duplex reticle is mounted on a Remington 700 SPS in .243 that is used mainly on groundhogs and the occasional coyote here in PA. The mil dot is currently on a 20" bull barrel AR-15 that I built but I'm going to move it to a Remington 760 in .30-06.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:06 PM   #5
FiveInADime

If you are creative and use the Nikon Spot-On software the BDC circles can be handy for holdover and range finding on objects of known size. At max zoom the BDC circles are about 2 inches diameter at 100 yards. So say if you don't have a rangefinder and you want to setup a target at 600 yards, you could draw a 12" line on a target and move the target out until the line is equal to the diameter of the circle. There are some threads out there on various forums on how to use the subtensions in a more advanced way for ranging.
Old November 5, 2013, 07:10 PM   #6
leadcounsel

I have a Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 BDC and a 3-9x12 BCD on two .308 rifles. I think they are fantastic. I like their glass, and the reticle.

I researched the heck out of scopes in the $300 range and these were at the top.

They were like $300, but on sale for $200.

Equally good in my mind are the Burris line.