The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 24, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
carbine30

Usgi bolt in a universal m-1 carbine?

Can i put a usgi bolt assembly in a universal m1 carbine? I have an early model with single spring. It has a usgi trigger housing and a usgi op rod but i think thats it. Will the usgi bolt fit and work with the universal receiver and barrel?
Old January 24, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
blfuller

From what I recall the first generation Universal were compatible with USGI. later ones were different, they had the funky slide that was made of a sheet metal stamping and was open at the hump and the recoil spring were different as well.

The bolts may have been but when you go switching bolts your headspace may change which would create a dangerous condition.

If you have the original bolt you can compare see if it was a USGI bolt or not or simply see if a USGI will fit or not. If it has the weird slide then it may not work. Be sure to check the head space when changing bolts.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:53 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Headspace is the key. Take it to a gunsmith who has the right headspace gauges. He has to remove the extractor and ejector to see if it headspaces correctly.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #4
carbine30

Does anyone know a good place to pick up a bolt for a good price?
Old January 26, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5
blfuller

A USGI bolt will probably run about $150 from the usual sources. Keep an eye out on some of the milityary rifle forums for a good used one that is in spec. The cheapest I have seen was from SARCO and they were $79 but they were aftermarket. Go to the CMP Forum, then register and ask if anyone has a new one for sale.

You could put a WTB post in the appropriate gunshow sub forum and see what happens.

Last edited by blfuller; January 26, 2013 at 01:37 PM.