The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1
djcantr

Adding rouge to tumbling media

I've been tumbling with 20/40 grit corn cob media from Graingers. I usually add some Nu Finish to it and tumble all day. I wanted to reduce tumbling time and still get them squeaky clean with a nice shine so I thought I'd try using the media with some powdered red jewelers rouge. I filled up the tumbler with fresh media and some rouge and ran it a couple minutes to distribute the rouge evenly. I dropped in a couple handfuls of cases and let it run a few hours. They're looking beautiful, but I can see a little residue rouge around the rim and primer on some of the cases. Is the rouge hard enough to eventually cause damage to dies?
Old March 3, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
publius

It definitely won't be good for them. My OCD requires me to hose off cases after media tumbling then put them in some liquid cleaner for a few hours, hose them off again. Look better than new.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
CherokeeT

I tried some of that red stuff once, threw it away after the first use because of the residue. Tumble them again in some corn cob without any additive. NuFinsih should be all you need but I do like the Frankford Arsenal brass polish from Midway. I alternate with NF and FA when adding to the media.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4
30Cal

I use a very very small amount (i.e. less than 1/4 tsp) to the bowl and don't worry about it. I've done it a long time (10 years) and have done a lot of cases that way through one die in particular with no ill effects.

I will say I only do this maybe twice before I toss the media (walnut lizard stuff that I buy at PetCo).
Old March 3, 2012, 08:00 PM   #5
lamarw

I do not think the short term use is going to hurt anything; although I would not continue to use it. I have tried it with little if any improvement. I stopped using it.

You do not see it harming valuable jewelry with softer metals.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:40 PM   #6
jepp2

I tried some of the Lyman Tufnut which is walnut media treated with rouge. I didn't like it since it left residue on the inside of the case that didn't want to come off. It does shine the brass nicely.

I use plain media with NuFinish like you have, and I just run the tumbler until the brass. It doesn't take much electricity and I like the protective finish it leaves on the brass.

I have seen several posts mention adding some Comet cleaner to your media to improve the cleaning action. I'm not sure I want that much abrasion when tumbling.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
wncchester

"Is the rouge hard enough to eventually cause damage to dies? "

No.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Cajun Ken

Take a couple of BOUNCE Dryer Sheets, cut each one in 3 pieces and add them to the media along with your brass. The Bounty absorbs the residue, keeping the media clean and allows it to do it's job. Discard the dryer sheets after use. You only need to do this when the media is saturated and is not cleaning the brass.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Cajun Ken

Delete

Last edited by Cajun Ken; March 3, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Erroneously submitted twice
Old March 3, 2012, 11:37 PM   #10
jcwit

Carbide dies? If so I wouldn't worry about it, not going to hurt a thing.

With that said I wouldn't use the red rouge anyway.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:18 PM   #11
rooster59

I use crushed walnut shell lizard bedding from the pet store. I add some Turtle wax polishing compound (green label) from ChinaMart. That stuff is white and doesn't seem to get on the brass at all. Let the can dry out, then crush up a couple spoonfuls and add it to the cob/shell/whatever. I think a can is $4.

8 bucks for the lizard and turtle gets you a lot of tumbling media.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Jerry45

I’ve never understood why people have to let their brass tumble for hours and hours. I throw mine in plane crushed walnut for an hour then in corncob with NEW Finish for an hour, two at the most. I use a timer to turn them off. I have two tumblers. I mix New Finish and mineral spirits 2 to 1. 2 parts mineral spirits 1 part New Finish and pore about 1/3 cup over the cob with the tumbler running and let it run for about 10/15 minutes before throwing the brass in. After it’s used a couple of times the media is dry but still polishes well. I reuse the cob for a pretty long time. Also tried throw some torn up dries sheets in as mentioned above when it starts looking dusty. It does extend the usage and keeps the dust down and you can always add more mineral spirits/New Finish mix.
Old March 4, 2012, 06:56 PM   #13
jcwit

I've never understood what the deal is about the time required to tumble cases. I toss mine in the tumbler, turn the tumbler on, and go to bed, in the morning I have nice shinney brass. I can't even see any increase in my electric bill, probably cost less than my Christmas lights.
Old March 4, 2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Gatofeo

I have a Hornady vibrating cleaner that seals well.
Years ago, I began adding a teaspoon or Tablespoon of Ronson lighter fluid to the medium before polishing cases.
Ronson lighter fluid evaporates without leaving any residue. In the cleaner, it cuts through the grease left from bullet lube and carbon from smokeless powder. Cases come out golden and squeaky clean.
I leave the vibrator open after use, for the lighter fluid to evaporate. Obviously, don't leave it near an open flame or near sparks. Typically, I leave mine on the patio overnight.
The next load, I add Ronson lighter fluid again.
Lighter fluid is very handy stuff. It will degrease loading dies, small parts, gun chambers, bores, etc. And it comes in a handy applicator that allows you to put a few drops on a patch or exactly where needed.
I bring a can to the range to degrease the chamber and bores of all firearms before shooting begins.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:16 AM   #15
wncchester

I think most lighter fluids are still Naptha, it's quite inexpensive in quart cans at Lowes, etc. Naptha and mineral spirts/oderless paint thinner softens the crust of gray, hard, dry metal polish collected on the media kernals and allows it to work better as well as helping to cut oily smoke residue off cases for faster tumbling.

All the sections of dryer sheets (and other open weave material) do is trap a lot of the dust from excessive polish so it can be tossed. Seems most people use WAY too much polish - just to be sure they have enough I suppose.

Tumbling really isn't very complicated nor demanding, do it any way you wish and all will be well.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:37 PM   #16
jcwit

Quote:
I think most lighter fluids are still Naptha, it's quite inexpensive in quart cans at Lowes, etc.
Correct, as is Coleman Fuel, White Gas, here in No. Indiana Amish country we can still buy it off the pump for around $4.00 a gal.

Last edited by jcwit; March 6, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old March 5, 2012, 06:40 PM   #17
oneounceload

I mix 75/25 walnut to corn cob and then red rouge - it works just fine, producing shiny brass. When I strain through my $1.00 colander, any residue comes off, even if it is on my hands which washes off easily enough
Old March 5, 2012, 08:46 PM   #18
wncchester

"...White Gas, here in No. Indiana Amish country we can still buy it off the pump for around 44.00 a gal."

That seems a bit steep even at today's prices.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:13 PM   #19
jcwit

Thanks, fixed it, got my fingers all tangled up typing. Seems to be an old man thing.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:27 PM   #20
langenc

Seems like the last time I priced real Coleman fuel it was $11 or so. Is that real??

I suppose the Amish use quite a bit w/ indoor lamps.