The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
champ198

deer rifle for daughter.

looking to get a deer rifle for my daughter...dont want anything too big for her yet....so lookin at getting either a 243 or 223...leanin more to the 243 just for her and growing factor would the 223 be a little small for deer size game or would i be better off with the 243
Old October 30, 2009, 04:32 PM   #2
ninjatoth

even if you hadn't mentioned it,the .243 would be what I would say is good.My mother in law has got several deer with her .243.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
champ198

im leanin pretty hard to the 243 in a H&R or Rossi jsut for the price...but might look into something a little nicer for her jsut to have for a few years for her
Old October 30, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
awaveritt

If you wind up going with the 223, don't tell us about it unless you really enjoy getting flamed.

Seriously, although I don't own one, the 243 should be way more versatile and be a rifle she could grow into, yet be able to handle right now. (you don't mention her age and size)
Old October 30, 2009, 04:55 PM   #5
champ198

she is 9 now and big for her age...but needs some range time so want to get something for her that dont have a bad recoil to it so she can shoot it quite a bit....its a little late now for our deer season but if she can get some range time in between now and next year she should be good to go
Old October 30, 2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

TOO-pho-te-tree.

Plenty of gun, little recoil.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:18 PM   #7
vetteracer92

There are some companies that sell the 243 with a youth stock and an extra adult stock in the box for when they get bigger. I've also heard that the 7x57 is good for youngins, they are supposed to be loaded light factory ammo.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:58 PM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Those Rossi's are pretty cheesey ! I would recomend the H&R JMO
Old October 30, 2009, 06:11 PM   #9
fisherman66

Quote:
I've also heard that the 7x57 is good for youngins
My 7x57 is even a tad stout fer a youn-gun. It's sibling, the 257 Roberts or the 250 Savage is just perfect fer a new hunter.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:40 PM   #10
James R. Burke

I got my wife a .243 Ruger No 1A light sporter. She shot at her first two deer and got them both. Shot placement is key, and she knows when to let them walk, just like any caliber. Since I reload she gets to practice alot. You do need the correct bullet for the .243 for deer. There are a few real good ones out there. I am using a Nosler 100 grain partition for hers. It will make a complete pass thru on a deer holds together pretty good, and mushrooms perfect from what I seen so far. A .223 is a nice rifle with little recoil but just a hair light for deer, but that is just my feelings. Fisherman 66 also named some real good ones to start out with. I had my concerns at first with the .243 but I dont anymore. I know the load I worked up is a good one, and she will only take a shot with good placement. She did leave two real nice bucks walk feeling she could not get the correct shot. So those type of things took my doubts away. Good luck, and you will have a good time with the new hunting partner. Also you do not need to spend a ton of money to start with, there are some pretty good rifles out there that are not to bad on the wallet, again have fun with your daughter, and hope you both get the big one!
Old October 30, 2009, 06:47 PM   #11
freedom475

The 223 is an excelent choice for a starter cartridge, it is more than enough for deer. Especially for a youngster... She most likely at that age will be able to master the 223 much better.. Precision and shot placement is the key... don't let the Utra Mag croud kid you! It's darn hard to hit well with both eys shut and your head out of the way. 1 shot placed with precison is much better than 3 in the guts!

The 243 is a great "all around" cartridge... but I bet in a few years (if she sticks with shooting/hunting) that you will be glad you chose a nice 223. When she is older you can get her a bigger caliber.

Any dad that wants to get his 9 year old into hunting/shooting can surely appreciate the idea of 2 Guns...

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old October 30, 2009, 07:20 PM   #12
longranger

"The 223 is an excelent choice for a starter cartridge, it is more than enough for deer."

Don't come to WY with your .223 for deer ,stupid statement.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:31 PM   #13
freedom475

I lived in WY for a lot of years, In the high country and not out on the eastern plains... didn't notice the deer or even there hand fed elk to be any tougher than they are anywhere else

Yeah out here in the west a 300yrd shot can be a close one on some days but I don't suppose this is what he has in mind... even our western regs prevent fathers from taking there kids hunting until they are 12 or 14...back east some states have no age restrictions.

Yeah I know about WY's 22cal. law that comes from big brother trying to tell a free people what they can and can't do....

I allow hunting around my place but only if guys shoot my 22 hornet...this keeps my neighbors and my livestock safe. I have never had a single cripple from the hornet so I know that the 223 is plenty .

I belive in Big Guns.. even my user name shows that, but I see no benifit in the extra blast and recoil for a new 9yr old shooter...
She might even like the sport if you don't bash her in the head with the scope and deafen her with the first shot. A 243 with a 100gr kicks plenty hard enough to sour a little girl. My little girl is now 15 and pushing 6ft but she still doesn't like shooting guns that kick..(even if they don't hurt)

I sure don't suppose this father with his 9 yr old daughter plans on backpacking into the Grey's River for a high country Muley, where a big high powered, long range magnum may be nessassary..

So please keep your rude remarks about how stupid I may be to your self!

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."

Last edited by freedom475; October 30, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:50 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

champ, The added mass of a loaded lever action Marlin really absorbs the recoil well. The .30-30 is usually pretty sedate. The short overall length negates some of the extra weight as it is still very pointable.

Many good deals abound. Mine sold for 175.00 OTD! It is a 1977 model 336C that showed nothing more than some shine on the hammer and lever (gotta love racking the action) and the guts were like new.
Brent
Old October 30, 2009, 09:32 PM   #15
Buzzcook

.243 or 6mm or 6.5mm/.260. in a bolt action
30-30 in a Marlin 336
Old October 30, 2009, 09:44 PM   #16
IDAHO83501

Forget the .223, unless you are hunting deer the size of German Sheppard, go with the .243, much more knock down power. A Ruger, Remington, or Savage bolt action would work well, and not cost a whole lot of money.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:12 PM   #17
awaveritt

You 223 bashers are starting to crack me up!!! I just got thru with one of these threads last night before the moderator mercifully closed it down.

Champ, only you know your daughter well enough to know whether she is recoil sensitive, but if she is (or you think she will be), the 223 will be perfectly adequate and you should make NO apology when selecting it for the task at hand - as long as it's legal where you hunt. Do a search and sort thru the bull and you'll find a large number of folks who have proven to themselves that the 223 can do it and do it well.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:20 PM   #18
101guns

45 Colt for short range deer?

I have thrown this one out in the rifle thread, but here in LA, there is not legal min. age. My 7 yo daughter is proficient with a .22 bolt (scoped) and has been for over a year. She has been in the stand with me for a couple years. She knows where to put it too, having marked up tons of deer magizines. We take a pen and have her draw a dot on the aiming point of all the deer at various angles and discuss the ones that do not offer a shot.

LA also has a primitive weapon season that allows single shot riles with exposed hammers, as long as it is at least a .45 caliber. One friend, who is aware of her ability yet her small size as well, has suggested that she try a 45 Colt. We have a childrens stand set up as a box stand and which offers 50 yard shots, maximum. He says the cartridge is adequate, recoil is low and it will also qualify as a primitive weapon, thereby allowing her to extend the number of opportunities she will have.

Anyone have experience or opinion on 45 Colt as short range deer round or any knowlege on the recoil we should expect. I have an H&R in 30-30 that I could stuff with the managed recoil round. Just trying to chose between the two...the least recoil the better. Thanks
Old October 31, 2009, 09:56 AM   #19
James R. Burke

There is no doubt the .223 will kill a deer. Even a .243 you will have lots of people say it is to light, and it is not. My wife is about 90 pounds, and there is hardly any recoil with the .243. It is not a big rifle with a big recoil.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I killed my first deer with a .222, but it was a patient, volunteer doe, standing about thirty yards away. Easy hit into the white spot.

But I'll recommend the .243. I've tagged over 20 bucks with mine. I use the Sierra 85-grain HPBT bullet, which is now a factory load from Federal. (Happily, they shoot as tight a group as my handloads. ) Negligible recoil.

The main thing is trigger time, to get her "all married up" with the rifle. And not all from the benchrest; field positions are a must.

If need be, shorten the stock to fit, and install a quality recoil pad. Save the cutoff piece to eventually put it back as she grows.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:35 AM   #21
cookhj

what about the 6.8 SPC?

i've never shot one but i wouldn't think that the recoil would be unmanageable, and it has plenty of power to take a deer.
Old October 31, 2009, 11:33 AM   #22
kraigwy

Quote:
I lived in WY for a lot of years, In the high country and not out on the eastern plains... didn't notice the deer or even there hand fed elk to be any tougher than they are anywhere else
Thats not the point, the point is hunting big game in Wyoming with a 223 is illegal. Min cal. is a .23, whick means 243 unless there is a .23something I havent heard of.

The 243 is perfect for kids (or anyone else) for deer size animals. My wife had three rods between her shoulder blades and cant take much recoil, she has no problems with the 243. My Grandaughter stole my 257 Roberts which is damn near the same thing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 31, 2009, 01:43 PM   #23
ChiefMuzz

I used a .243 H&R Handi-rifle for my first 8 years of hunting. I then got a Savage Model 10 bolt action .243 and have been using that since. A couple things about the .243 and the Handi-rifle that were good: Low recoil in an adequate caliber for deer, single shot action, youth models available, cheap, accurate and well made. Can't really go wrong with it.

FWIW my brother started with the same handi-rifle in a 30-30 and loved it. IMO a single shot is very important for a young hunter because it teaches the importance of shot placement, and with a mechanism that doesn't allow for much error (cock the hammer, squeeze the trigger)
Old October 31, 2009, 01:50 PM   #24
MLeake

.243 is fine as calibers go

but you also need to get an appropriate length of pull, especially if she's a small 9.

You can always add longer recoil pads as she gets bigger.

Or you could get a youth rifle from a major brand, and change out stocks over time.
Old October 31, 2009, 03:57 PM   #25
sc928porsche

This one is easy. 260 rem (6.5-308). Flat shooting, good knockdown, light recoil. Good for game up to and including elk. Just what the lady ordered. Its also a great cartridge for those who are recoil sensitive or those who would like to try a little of that long range paper punching.