The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 15, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Hawg

Marlin model 60

I got my new SS "Remlin" model 60 yesterday. Aside from the stubbier look with the short barrel it has an orange plastic front sight and the rear has a black plastic blade. The last shot hold open only holds it open halfway. You have to close it before you can chamber another round. Just pulling it back doesn't feed one. The trigger is really heavy but the thing shoots like a dream. Even with all that its a better gun than my Ruger 10/22. It came with a dismounted 3/4 tube no name scope. If I decide to scope it I'll go back to Wally World and get a cheap Bushnell for it.

Old November 15, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
mitranoc

That's a beauty - congratulations! Look forward to a range report..
Old November 15, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Z400ACDC

I wish my 60ss had that color stock. Very pretty. Let know how she shoots.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4
ripnbst

Beautiful wood on that one. I've always liked the Model 60's.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Hawg

I went by Wally World this evening and bought a cheap Bushnell .22 scope. Its a fixed 4x32. The rifle came with a polished aluminum 3/4 tube but I just cant get into small tubes unless they're a couple of feet long. I think a matching scope is a lil too much anyway. I like the contrast between stainless and painted. I'll have to get off my butt and shoot a piece of paper but just piddling around shooting at a bullet hole puts them all in the same hole at 25 yards. The best part is it was on sale for 29.00. I looked at a couple of others with variable power and adjustable objectives, but 4X is all you really need for a .22. Also they were all for high powered rifles and I've heard countless stories about high power scopes not holding up to the different recoil of a 22. I know I have an older Bushnell on a Marlin model 25 and I have to adjust it every time I take it out but it was an old scope when I put it on so I cant say. Besides if I had gotten one of those I'd have to buy rings too.

Old November 17, 2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Metal god

OH NO this would have looked so much better on the gun

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Adjust...=IZS2K0R4C9BY5

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 17, 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Panfisher

Nice looking rifle, I too like that stock. A fixed 4X scope (any make) is my favorite scope on a hunting .22 LR.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
OH NO this would have looked so much better on the gun
I had one of those once before. I liked Simmons scopes when they were made in the Philippines but this one seems to be a much better scope than what they make now. I like the contrast.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Hawg

Range report

Most of y'all know I despise punching paper but this is a 14 shot group from the SS Marlin from 25 yards. Not benched, just propped across the bed of my pickup with Federal bulk. Yeah, I'm a happy camper.