The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Speer Gold Dot 125gr 357 SIG Ballistics Gel Test & Results

Finished up the testing of the 125gr 357 SIG Gold Dot (#54234) round. Here are the conditions and results.

Test conditions:
-Glock 22 with G31 barrel (4.48'')
-Test rounds fired from 10 feet
-FBI spec Clear Ballistics gel block (more on this below)
-4 layers of denim

Results:
-1373 fps, 522 ft/lbs energy
-18.75'' of penetration
-Recovered weight: 124gr
-Average expansion: .515''

The manufacture of the gel block, Clear Ballistics, claims their gel meets FBI specs for testing. I calibrate my gel per their specs prior to testing and use 4 layers of denim per IWBA protocol.

However, by no means am I saying this test is a substitute for the great work industry professionals like Dr. Roberts and others do. I'm just a shooter that likes to learn about the products I use.

Here's the video showing the test, the permanent cavity, and a discussion of the results:

357SIG GEL TEST HD VIDEO REVIEW LINK

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; December 29, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
bt380

I saw a video by a doctor that said something to the effect that the layers of skin (epi-dermis, dermis, subcutaneous) equates to 4 inches of flesh. I have only heard that once and have no idea if that is true. If that is true, does that mean that your 18.75 inches of gel would mean that the bullet would then be about 14.75 inches in (ignoring that most people aren't 14 inches thick front to back. I am only 11 inches (spine to breastbone) but it sure seems like your 357 would be a thru-n-thru if no bone was hit. The doc also said that the last layer of muscle and skin results in a spring board effect that impeades further penetration which is why their aren't the thru-n-thru's one might expect from pistol shots. Does the gel specs take into consideration the skin or does it treat the medium as just all muscle tissue? The other thing that is confusing is the problems equating the density between high organ areas vs intestine areas vs thigh areas, etc and trying to make the gel make sense in all that. What's your thoughts? ...and thanks for posting your results, would like to see more on the 40 cal stuff if you get around to it....
Old December 29, 2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Doctors View Of A Gunshot Wound

The video above should answer a lot of your questions (I really think everyone who plans on using a firearm for defense should watch the video above).

To the gel questions, FBI spec'd gel or ordinance gel is basically designed to mimic muscle tissue.
Old December 29, 2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's exactly what I carry, in a G33. I get 1,335 fps in a 3.46" barrel, IIRC.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #5
jmortimer

The Gold Dots sure do hold together when you push them. A bullet making two holes is no big deal in my book. In fact I like two holes, but I'm in the minority on that. I like your direct succinct presentation. Very professional. I guess you could say I'm a fan. Nice work as always.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:43 PM   #6
AK103K

Just out of curiosity, if you have any 127 grain +P+ 9mm around, a comparison out of a 17 would be interesting.

I had a 31, and a 9mm barrel for it, and I couldnt tell the difference in the way it shot with, with either caliber. Performance seemed to be about the same, but I didnt have a crono or gel.

The only thing I did notice was, the 31 was beating itself to death using 357SIG. A couple of my 17's, with more +P+ through them than my 31 had 357SIG through it, show no wear.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Mello2u

bt380,

Do not forget for a bullet to go "though and through" it has to penetrate the skin twice. So per your 4" per skin penetration equivalent 2 x 4= 8" and your 11" (19" total need to penetrate) thickness would seem to indicate the bullet would lodge under the skin on the far side (maybe).

I was at a crime scene where a bullet fell out of the victim's shirt while the EMS personnel were working on him. I think the bullet penetrated his T-shirt, then his torso and came to rest inside of his shirt.

plouffedaddy,

Thanks for posting this.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old December 30, 2012, 10:11 AM   #8
kahrguy

For what its worth the .355 124gr bullet speer use's for the 357sig ammo is a diffrent bullet than loaded in there 9MM ammo. Its a tougher bullet for the faster 357 sig cartidge.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:06 AM   #9
AK103K

I dont know about "tougher", but I do know its a different profile, as are most bullets made for the 357SIG in that weight class.

Most standard 124 grain 9mm bullets start the radius/ogive to soon to work properly in the 357SIG. The 147 grain 9mm bullets dont have that issue as they have a longer "tangent" due to the weight.

Contrary to what you often hear, 357SIG and +P+ 9mm are pretty close in power. I got that very response from the engineers at Speer when I emailed them with the question on the difference when I was hot on 357SIG. They basically said both were 40000psi loads (Speer apparently has a spec for +P+ 9mm), and bullets of the same weight would perform basically the same. Thats why I was asking plouffedaddy if he'd consider a comparison of the +P+ 9mm.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:22 AM   #10
BerdanSS

I had to use gold dots in my 96G Elite at a bowling pin shoot one time....won 2nd place with them The energy transfer was amazing.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Nanuk

I prefer through and through shots as well. If there is energy for a through and through, there should be energy to deal with that pesky CNS(spine/skull) if hit. Don't discount secondary projectiles, I saw an unfortunate fleeing felon that was hit in the back of the neck by a 357 Magnum, his vertebrae that were hit shattered, almost severing his head.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Contrary to what you often hear, 357SIG and +P+ 9mm are pretty close in power. I got that very response from the engineers at Speer when I emailed them with the question on the difference when I was hot on 357SIG. They basically said both were 40000psi loads (Speer apparently has a spec for +P+ 9mm), and bullets of the same weight would perform basically the same. Thats why I was asking plouffedaddy if he'd consider a comparison of the +P+ 9mm.
Good info there. I don't have any +p+, sorry.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:26 PM   #13
AK103K

Never hurts to ask.

Thanks for all your work too.