The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 23, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1
mordis

Need D/a Revolver grip/trigger advice

Hi. I invited my friend from work over yestarday for a hour of informal shooting and fun. We both hadnt shot much for about a year or more and were both rusty. He brought his S&W 22lr semi auto and i my 4" .38spc m15-3. I was using S&B 158grain fmj-flatpoints at 890fps. I started off shooting single action and as i had expected my shots landed just over 1.5" nice and tight. Then on i did double action shooting, and my groups opened up massivly. Were as formerly it was doing just over a inch and a half, i was getting groups as big, if not bigger then my open hand. Secondly, my shots were pulling to the right, and rarely hitting high or low.

I know it is something im doing wrong, grip and trigger wise, i just cant place my finger on it. I was concious to not jerk, but i know i am. What is even more frustrating i could shoot his semi auto with much ease. All shots ending up dead center in a nice group.

Since this is my only carry gun, i was trying to shot as fast as i could while getting good hits. Apparently i am doing somethng wrong and need assistance with it. I ran out of ammo so i need to get some reloading or make a gander mountian run soon.

Any advice on grips to use, and trigger techniques i need or anything else you can think of to help me improve my gun. I know the gun is extraordinarily accurate, its me thats screwing up. Thanks all for your help in this matter.

Edit to add, this gun is all stock, except the rubber grip on it, which sucks. IT has the same heavy da trigger that came stock with the gun. The trigger is very smooth thanks to many years of carry and shooting by my father in laws father who was a police reserve and carried it for 20 years.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Webleymkv

What part of your finger are you placing on the trigger? I've found that placing the pad of my finger, as I do with a single-action revolver or semi-automatic trigger, doesn't work particularly well with the longer, heavier trigger of a DA revolver. Instead, I get much better results from placing the trigger in the crook of the distal joint of my finger as it allows me to better control the DA trigger.

Also, I find that choking my hand up to the top of the backstrap helps me control the gun. Another thing to consider is the stocks on the gun. I've found that a DA revolver with the right stocks feels like an extension of my hand while the wrong stocks feel horribly awkward. Perhaps the stocks on the revolver just don't fit you well.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:22 PM   #3
mordis

I was using the pads of my finger, i hadnt thought of using the distal joint. I always thought that the distal joint was a big no no for shooting at least thats what i have read and heard in mags and such.

I do need to find better stocks, i only wish there was a way to measure my hand and have someone custom make them.. Id hate to purchase 10 different stocks inorder to find the right one...
Old May 23, 2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Casimer

I'd recommend using the joint as well.

Here's a video series by Jerry Miculek on revolver fundamentals that covers DA shooting - http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/s...manhJ0KNWQYqM4

He recommends the pad of the finger, but for a heavier trigger I think that you'll get better results starting w/ the distal joint. Work on a smooth continuous pull and don't worry about going fast.

If you want to get good, purchase some snap caps and do a lot of dry firing.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Hook686

You are aware that a S&W revolver has a staged trigger ... pull fast 3/4 of the way and you ought feel the stage set. The last 1/4 pull is much like a single action trigger pull. It does take practice, but can be done.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Webleymkv

I find using the pad of my finger is preferable when shooting single-action. However, using the distal joint gives me more leverage and therefore better control when shooting double-action. Also, my finger doesn't "squish" as much in the distal joint which also helps me to control the longer, heavier DA pull.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Dannyl

Try this technique for accurate DA shooting.

HI,
I can recommend the technique that I use, it works great for me when I shoot IDPA and pins (bowling pins) with my S&W 586.

1. use the pad of your finger (I actually use the joint between the first and middle pad, putting my finger deep into the trigger).
2. while you line up your sights, pull the trigger until you are almost at the point wher it releases the hammer.
3. Ensure that your sights are still lined up and correct as needed, now you only need a very small additional pull that will release the bullet. this will be easier to manage while keeping your sights lined up on the target.

This technique can be used also with DA pistols . My EDC is a S&W 4006, and since the first bullet goes out DA ( I carry with one up, hammer down, safety off, so bringing it into action is the same as a DA revolver), I make a point of practicing this as well.

Practice the trigger pull with dry firing, and when you feel you have it right do it with shooting.
Do not go for speed, but get the sequence right, you'll find that speed comes with time (and practice).

Feel welcome to PM me if you want help with this.

Brgds,

Danny
Old May 24, 2010, 05:45 PM   #8
mordis

i watched that video series from jerry Miclueck. Very informative, tho im still alittle confused. He says to use the pads of your fingers to pull the trigger, tho when the camera shows him doing it, he is really close to his distal joint. I mean its still on the pad, but any further over and would be on his joint. joint is joint and pad is pad, i know that, but i just wish he would spend a little more time and camera angles on his trigger finger..

Gonna have to try out that high grip he shows, hopefully it will work.

Man i got to get my reloading bench set back up again, i have 1200 .38 spc cases that need reloading.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:57 PM   #9
BigJimP

Its a combination of things - size and fit of the stocks, where the trigger meets your finger ( I like it in the joint area too ) and how you place your thumbs on the gun(high, low, middle..) - and how much pressure you have in your weak hand vs your trigger or strong hand ( I like my off hand at about 80% / and only about 20% in my strong hand).

Personally, I like my thumbs a little lower on the gun than on my semi-autos ...but you should try a number of different things that work for you / especially coming out of a holster vs just firing single action from a bench.

There is lots of advice out there in grip, etc ....its about finding what is just right for you ...but its hard to argue that taking tips from Miculek is a bad thing either ( he is talented ..)...