The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What is the ideal weapon for vehicle in your opinion?
SMG/Machine pistols 24 14.12%
Revolver 44 25.88%
Semiautomatic pistol 70 41.18%
Automatic rifle (select fire) 14 8.24%
Shotgun 15 8.82%
Bolt or Lever action rifles 3 1.76%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17, 2010, 08:07 PM   #26
rantingredneck

My personal choices are a 6" Ruger GP100 and 18" Remington 870. Given my circumstances my need for a vehicle gun runs the gamut from urban jungle to actual jungle (well, more like eastern swamps and mountain forests). I expect my truck guns to be able to fend off hostile 2 and 4 legged predators and feed me in a pinch. Between these two, with a selection of ammo covering the power spectrum afforded by both, I feel like I have my bases fairly well covered. Add in the fact that generally there'll be a .38 or smaller .357 that I'll be carrying and they're really well covered.

For you my friend, given the geopolitical circumstances you find yourself living amongst I'd want something a little higher capacity than what I need in my neck of the woods........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old May 17, 2010, 08:25 PM   #27
Head-Space

With some of the drivers I encounter on the road, I'm a big believer in heat-seeking missles.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:26 PM   #28
Doc TH

vehicle weapon

I notice the original question came from Pakistan, so are we talking about an in the vehicle PDW in Pakistan or in the U.S.?
In Pakistan I would want two guys in the backseat - one with an AK-47 and one with an M-79. I, in the front seat, would have an Uzi. I am not joking.
In the U.S. I would be comfortable with any of a number of reliable SA pistols - Glock, Sig, FN, etc. - or with a good DA revolver in .357 mag caliber.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:59 PM   #29
booker_t

82mm direct/indirect fire automatic mortar would be a top choice..

But I like that AR-pistol. Load it up with some steel-core armor-piercing rounds and you're off to the races.
Old May 19, 2010, 03:53 PM   #30
Firepower!

nice gun booker-t
Old May 20, 2010, 05:40 AM   #31
chrisbarcelo

A Colt 1911 with one in the pipe, hammer cocked and locked. Its my carry gun and "vehicle gun" at the same time. Along with one spare magazine in my front pocket. But you see Im in the Philippines and we have this Election Gun Ban which started last January 12, 2010 up to June 12 this year. So gun is inside the safe in the house.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:57 PM   #32
Mutatio Nomenis

I voted for small, sawn-off shotguns. You won't need the range, at at the distances inside of an SUV, the accuracy won't be a problem.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:33 PM   #33
Glenn Dee

A 2" S&W model 10. (cosmetically challanged). Something I can shoot with both hands, a lethal, yet milder caliber ( noise in an enclosed vehical), and something I wont loose my mind over if stolen. (other than worrying about it being used against an innocent person.)
Old May 20, 2010, 06:28 PM   #34
mtscout

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/t...ival-2005.html

The above link has a lot of information on this subject, in a realistic way, plus additional first hand experiences about surviving STHF.
Long read.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:44 PM   #35
DanThaMan1776

You want something small, which can be maneuvered within the confines of a vehicle. That rules out lever gun, shotgun, and rifle. Next criteria is firepower (pun intended). You gotta put out the most power in a small package... i.e. an SMG or machine pistol. If you need to defend your vehicle from within it that means the engagement is going to be short range and controllability of the SMG won't be an issue.

Next choice is semi auto pistol.

Of course with both use good ammo and train train train then train some more.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:40 PM   #36
TXGunNut

I guess we have different ideas of a car gun. I think a car gun should be a supplementary, fall-back weapon. Living in a free state I can and almost always do carry an adequate CCW but when things get ugly it's nice to have something big and mean to fall back to. Some days it's a bone-stock M&P 15, most days it's a Winchester Defender, also as issued except a buttstock ammo carrier.
Other days I just want to borrow Booker-T's ride and a case of ammo.
A rather upset individual once told me he was going to his truck to get his gun. I smiled and informed him that he was one step behind. If you gotta go get it, you're one step behind as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:48 PM   #37
BlackFeather

Grenade, pull the pin and keep the latch down. Who wants to take a car that has that mess? Even a fake one would do...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old May 23, 2010, 06:15 PM   #38
biohazurd

If i could easily and legally come across one then i think an smg would be ideal. But since they arnt available to law abiding citizens,(unless you have a swimming pool full of cash that is!) My .45 or my snub will do just fine....
Old May 23, 2010, 08:38 PM   #39
jhenry

A suppressed Sterling SMG, just for panache.

Other than that, I have a Glock 23 on me or in the vehicle at all times.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:51 PM   #40
P99AS9

A Glock 18 or an MP5K would be nice
Old May 23, 2010, 10:10 PM   #41
skoro

What is the ideal weapon for vehicle in your opinion?

I don't know what's ideal.

I keep a 4" S&W k-frame revolver loaded with 38+P rounds. It'll be ready if and when it's necessary.

"Six for certain"
Old May 23, 2010, 10:21 PM   #42
skydiver3346

best vehicle gun?

for concealing in glove compartment, side door and other out of view but quick access places: Hard to beat a Glock 19 with 147 grain hollow points...
Very reliable, accurate and low recoil for follow up shots if needed to end the threat.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:30 AM   #43
shredder4286

well...

another good point to consider would be- what are you most trained/comfortable with? in a way, yes- a submachine gun might ultimately more damaging, but how many times have you shot one? if you're most familiar w/ a handgun, i'd go w/ that, because all the magnum power in the world isn't worth the smoke it leaves behind if you can't hit ur target
Old May 28, 2010, 11:39 AM   #44
bdturner

A weapon to use while driving should have the ability to be loaded with one hand. I went with a SMG mp5sd would save your hearing if you wanted to be able to hear after the gunfight.
Old May 28, 2010, 01:13 PM   #45
Barbicatter

Small Semi-Auto Pistol. I could not get a gun rack that would fit in my Mini
Old May 28, 2010, 07:26 PM   #46
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
In all seriousness, my carry weapon becomes my "vehicluar defense" weapon whenever I get into it.
I do the same. But we need to come up with a better term. That one doesn't lend itself to abbreviation all that well.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:41 AM   #47
Lee Lapin

I'd settle for the GMC (Government Motors Corporation) offering... if it's good enough for presidential motorcades, it's good enough for me. Who worries about collateral damage these days, anyway- that's so last century. -)

lpl

Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZ2qvhJGgU
================

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:09 AM   #48
kaylorinhi

Sorry

Money and any legal weapon!

I checked SubGun or such, a select-fire 5.56 or 6.? with a ten inch barrel piston, one point sling, and a reflex sight is about right!
Old May 30, 2010, 11:03 AM   #49
Slotback

A semi auto handgun at minimum. If you can take a long gun with you, do so.
Old May 31, 2010, 01:25 PM   #50
Puntmefar

Your in a confined space I dont understand why a person would want a long barrel to swing up inside a vehicle. I voted semi auto thats what I carry but a revolver would be pleanty suitable also. There small effective easy to swing up in confined spaces and easy to stow for fast access. As far as a full auto its pointless in my opinion all your trying to do is defend not wage war,the avrage every day joe isnt driving through a active war zone. Thats just my honest opinion assuming were talking about the avrage civilian not a soldier or LOE

Tags
car gun , truck gun , vehicle gun