The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 26, 2014, 03:39 PM   #1
baddarryl

Leather vs. Kydex wear?

All things being equal, what wears a finish more?
Old December 26, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2
mete

I have to put my 2 c in here . Kydex has gotten somewhat a bad rep for scratching and wearing finish .Dirt and grit can imbed into the kydex.This is what scratches the finish./ Clean the kydex regularly.
Old December 26, 2014, 09:46 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

In my experience, kydex causes more wear than leather. mete is correct that it's actually dust/grit embedded in the kydex (or at least on the surface of the kydex) that causes the wear, but from a practical standpoint there's really no difference. In my experience it's not really possible to clean kydex often enough to keep it from wearing a gun more than leather does with virtually no cleaning.
Old December 26, 2014, 11:43 PM   #4
AK103K

Ive found that kydex only wears the finish at the specific contact points, where leather wears the finish more overall, and contact is greater. The guns I carried in leather holsters, usually showed a more over all, washed out look, and rust was always an issue.

Ive also found that kydex is much easier to clean (simply rinse under the tap and dry with a paper towel), and doesnt seem to hold/embed things as bad as leather does, with is why I think you see the finish seem to fade so much more with the leather holsters.

Then there is the moisture and rust you get with leather. Kydex is pretty much impervious.

This is my old Commander that was used daily in a Blade Tech kydex IWB, for about 10 years. The black streaks are actually mirror polished hard chrome. The rest of the finish for the most part, is in real good shape, and shows little wear.

This gun was originally a nice Colt blue when new, and only lasted about a year, when carried in the same conditions as the Blade Tech, but in a couple of Galco Royal Guards. Once summer set in, and I started sweating heavily, it rusted badly, and quickly.

I had it hard chromed and Blade Tech showed up right about the same time. The only rust issue after that, was just some very fine, powdery type rust around where the inboard grip contacted my body. If you look close, you can still see some around the grip at the safety.
Old December 27, 2014, 12:17 AM   #5
Water-Man

I've experienced more wear with Kydex.