The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
TunnelRat

M&P 45c: A Slight Problem

Hi all,
So I recently picked up a M&P 45c. First off let me say I really love this gun. A few years back I had an M&P 9 that I had no issues with but stupidly sold for something "better". Anyway I've come full circle it seems. I'm really happy with the accuracy, I had one three shot group at 21 feet in a sub inch group (good for me). And the size is darn near perfect. Everyone who was shot has loved it.

Now to the problem. Out of 250 rounds fired I have gotten a half dozen failures to feed on the last round in a magazine. It has happened with all three mags. It happened with both Speer Gold Dots and Federal Champion FMJ. I have also seen it happen with A-Zoom snap caps. If I insert a new mag, then only pull back on the slide slightly to get it to release and then let go, it gets stuck halfway in the chamber. This has happened while firing as well, though usually only after the gun has had say 100 rds through it and is a bit dirty.

My inclination is to send it to S&W. One question though. I had installed an APEX DCAEK. If I send the gun to S&W, will they remove those parts to bring it back to factory spec? I don't want to buy another $100 of parts. Should I mention it in the included letter?

Thanks,
-TR
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 30, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old October 30, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
My inclination is to send it to S&W. One question though. I had installed an APEX DCAEK. If I send the gun to S&W, will they remove those parts to bring it back to factory spec? I don't want to buy another $100 of parts. Should I mention it in the included letter?
My experience is yes. I sent a gun in with different springs---they removed them, put factory ones in, and sent the aftermarket springs back with the gun in a plastic bag.
Old October 30, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Crow Hunter

They will most likely send them back, but not in the gun.

I know it was stressed to us several times in my Glock Armorer's course, that all guns MUST be returned to factory specification before being given back to someone for liability reasons.

I assume that S&W would have similar liablilty requirements.

You might even get luky and they will send it back to you with their new and improved trigger parts that debuted in the Shield. It is supposed to be MUCH better and I have heard the new guns are getting them.

Good luck.
Old October 30, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
MLeake

I had heard that Apex parts were actually approved aftermarket for S&W, but I don't know that to be true. I'd say the best answer is to call S&W and ask them directly.

I'd also consider borrowing some M&P45 mags from anybody you know, to see if the problem is with the gun, or the mags you received with the gun. If S&W had received a bad lot of mag springs, I would not be surprised if all the mags in a batch had those springs.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:28 PM   #5
testuser

For what it's worth. I've sent in a couple of S&W revolvers with aftermarket mainsprings for warranty work. They all returned with the aftermarket mainspring in place, including one that need a new frame.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:33 PM   #6
golfnutrlv

Tunnelrat,

I noticed you said the problem occured with all three magazines. Are they the compact mags, or the 10 rounders?

I bought the same gun this last March, mine has been flawless, however, i must have gotten a bad batch of 10 round magazines, as four of them would not lock the slide open. I think i probably had 150 rounds max through each magazine.

Smith replaced the springs for them no problem, and they are flawless now, but your post got my attention, that maybe this is a spring issue.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:39 PM   #7
TunnelRat

All I have are three compact mags.

I can think of three things:

1. Magazine spring problem.

2. Feed ramp needs some polishing and maybe the barrel re-throated.

3. Extractor tension is too high and without the pressure from underneath the case edge isn't able to slip under the extractor.

There are probably other options too.

Thing is I have a number of handguns, for both carry and home defense. So sending this in to S&W doesn't really put me in any bind. Especially as I know they will pay for the trip.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:18 PM   #8
BrthrB

My Agency recently switched to the M & P 45's. I've had to send a couple (out of 25) back to fix the exact problem you described.

S & W has been great and turnaround time was excellent. The problem was not with the magazines. They replaced the extractor and did some work on the barrel / ramp to correct the issue. Both guns work as they should now.

We are satisfied with the switch and the deputies who had issues have regained confidence with their duty weapons.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:56 PM   #9
TunnelRat

^Awesome! That's great info. I really like the gun so I am confident it can be fixed.