The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 26, 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

slug accuracy

Anybody see this box of truth on the slug accuracy. Looks like the rifled slug in a rifled barrel makes for the best accuracy, ar 50 yards at least.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

corey
Old September 27, 2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Rigby1962

I did a bit of testing with different slugs the one thing that I found was Foster and Brennekes do better with IC choke then with cylinder bore. Under 3 inch groups where the norm with the IC choke. The one draw back with firing rifled slugs threw a rifled barrel is leading was terrible.
Not much a of concern for a normal days hunting but still a pain to clean. The only slugs that didnt lead where the Brenneke gold but their accuracy was the same from rifled or IC.
Old September 27, 2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Unbanded

Wow, that smoothbore barrel was throwing them sideways.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:45 AM   #4
rpmx

Very interesting read, thanks for posting it.

R
Old September 28, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5
ZeSpectre

Seems consistant with my own experience. I'm not particularly a "shotgun guy" but I've run a few experiments with mine to see what would happen.

I have a Maverick 88 "all purpose" with the 28" vented smoothbore and the 24" ported/rifled slug barrels.

The smoothbore barrel really likes the good old Remington "Sluggers" in combination with an "Improved Cylinder" choke and I can get a 5-6" group at 50 yards from that combination. I tried some Brenneke KO Sabot and the smoothbore/"improved cylinder" combo just threw them all over the place.

Remington "Sluggers" gave me roughly the same results in the rifled/ported barrel but when I ran three of the Brenneke KO Sabot rounds through that rifled barrel they were shooting POA and two of the three shots were touching each other at 50 yards. WOW!

I also tried some "Buckhammer" slugs through the rifled barrel but they weren't much more accurate than the "Sluggers" when shot through my gun so Brenneke it is!

I'd love to try those Remington Coppersolid slugs sometime.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:02 AM   #6
TMUSCLE1

So how far do you think a slug is good for out of a smooth bore barrel?

I was just shooting slugs out of my Remington 870 with 28" smoothbore and wasn't too impressed with my skills at 60yds. I figured that was really pushing the range though for slugs.

Thoughts?
Old September 28, 2009, 10:44 AM   #7
ZeSpectre

I suspect (though I haven't tried this) that if you had a 12ga shotgun, with a good rifled barrel, and a good scope mounted, and used 2 3/4" sabot slugs, that you'd be good for up to 100 yards. Maybe more but that's as far as I'd try it.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

In my experience, which includes about 6 slug guns and a dozen or so different slugs, pretty much any shotgun with ALMOST any slug is good to 100 yards. Certain guns and certain slugs will extend that range MAYBE 50 yards farther but certain slugs in certain guns will DECREASE that range by 40 yards or more.

We have tested smooth-bore gun and rifles barrels, numerous brands of both sabot and rifled slugs. If you know your drop then you should be fine out to 100. Some slugs get weird before 100, like Winchester XP3s which sucked beyond 60 yards or so in both guns we tried.

Short story, no way to know unless you try.... and with a shotgun "try" means a good solid, recoil absorbing rest like a Caldwell Lead Sled.
Old September 28, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
hardluk1

My mossberg 500 with a cantilever rifled barrel and old 3x9 scope will shoot about 3 to 4 inch at 150 yards useing the most unlikely slug to me ,The remington buck slamers in 2 3/4". I have not tried any others in a couple years and some new ones are out there to try. Watched a video of a new ithica deerslayer III shooting 31/2" 200 yard groups on you tube . It can be done just got a to try enoght brands and types to find the right combo. Of the 3 guys i know that use rifled slug guns all have been useing the buck slammer for remington.
Old September 28, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
ArizonaRick

Cast & reload slugs

I cast and reload several types of slugs including the Lyman sabot slug (1-1/4 oz) and both size Lee drive key slugs (7/8 & 1 oz). They are easy to cast and can be reloaded using standard target hulls and wads. I can load them light (1150-1200 fps) for 3 gun match & target practice or heavy (1350-1500 fps) for hunting or taking down trees. In a smooth bore I get 3" groups @ 25 yds and 6" groups at 50 yds, the same basic accuracy you would get from factory Rem or Win rifled slugs. In a rifled barrel I get 2" groups @ 50 yds and 4-5" groups @ 100 yds. Home made slugs are cheep, fun to shoot, and easy to reload. If you are looking to get good with slugs, think about buying a Lee mold for under $25. If you don't cast, find a friend who does. If you don't want to buy a mold, consider buying slugs on gun broker, look in the reloading section, under components. One recomendation I have is place a 1/8" 20 ga nitro card under the slug so it will not get attached to the wad during firing (this improves accuracy greatly). Also, keep velocities moderate for target practice. Have fun with slugs! - AZ Rick
Old September 28, 2009, 11:41 AM   #11
ArizonaRick

Pic's

Lee 1 oz 4.jpg
Old September 30, 2009, 01:01 AM   #12
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g06a6RWC4A

this kid is a hero to the cause when cheap ammo is needed
Old September 30, 2009, 03:32 AM   #13
Rigby1962

Ha that was pretty good. Although I’m pretty sure wheel weights aren’t pure lead. Wish I could remember where I saw it but a guy who lives in Africa? Where slugs are illegal for private citizens to own showed how to make them. He did the same thing only with a steel mold and he used a bolt to make a hollow base like a standard Foster type slug. After it hardens he would just unscrew the bolt. He would actually take the shot out of the shell, melt it down and make the slug.
Old September 30, 2009, 03:38 AM   #14
NWPilgrim

I tested 2 3/4" - 3" Brenneke, Winchester, Federal Classic, and Remington Sluggers in a 870 smoothbore, bead sight, 18" cylinder barrel at 50 yds. Extensive shooting and a massive bruise to remember it by.

The Rem Sluggers were by far the most accurate, about 4" with a bead sight and pretty much to point of aim. The others were all over the place, mostly a foot or more low and about 1+ ft spread (5 shot groups).

Based on just that session at 50 yds I would be confident with the Sluggers out to 75 yds on a deer size animal. Beyond that I would want some practice at 100 yds. But if I planned to shoot slugs beyond 75 yds, then I think it is time get a rifled barrel and sabot slugs.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 30, 2009, 05:42 PM   #15
troy_mclure

growing up in ohio it was shotgun slugs for deer season only(except muzzle loaders).

for rifled slugs in a slugger bbl(smooth bbl) if a deer came in under 50yd it was dead.

when sabots came out i extended my range to 100yd easy!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old September 30, 2009, 08:20 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For me, my 18 inch barreled Mossberg 500 20 gauge, if it will stop or walk slowly for a second or 2 at 65 yards, it gets a 7/8ths inch lead aspirin. At 80, if I am hungry, he too, will go night-night... That is with the cheapest federal or winchester Super "X" slug.
Brent
Old October 2, 2009, 06:05 PM   #17
shortwave

My ole trusty Rem. 1100 12 ga. smoothbore has taken its share of deer out to 100yds. shooting nothing more than the 2 3/4" Rem. rifled sluggers. Zeroed at 50yds., aiming at the deers spine will drop the slug right in the boiler room. Most shots were from 40-75yds. I say 'were' cause these days I use a scoped BP during shotgun season.
Old October 2, 2009, 06:18 PM   #18
dondavis3

I've shot rifled slugs and non rifled slugs with good result's.

I've never owned a rifled shotgun barrel.