The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 15, 1999, 11:25 AM   #1
Keith Rogan

Harley,

I've had an old Krag kicking around in the back of my gun cabinet for some years. Its the carbine variation and hasn't been "sporterized" except that the military sights have been replaced and the sling swivels are missing.
When I first got the rifle, I did look around for original sights and couldn't find any - apparently the carbine sights are unique and stamped with a "C".

Any idea where I might find a set of these? I'd like to restore it if it the cost isn't through the roof.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old July 15, 1999, 11:42 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Keith
Gun Parts West Hurley lists the Krag and parts you want. 914-679-2417.

HJN
Old July 15, 1999, 12:42 PM   #3
Keith Rogan

Thanks Harley,

I've checked with them before but they only had the standard sights, not the carbine ones. Maybe they've gotten some in - I'll check it out immediately!

Thank you very much!

Old July 15, 1999, 01:28 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Rogan, what is the model year of your carbine. There were a half dozen different models of carbine sights and you want to get the right one if possible. Krag carbines are fairly valuable, but there are also many cut down rifles and deliberate fakes.

Jim
Old July 15, 1999, 03:22 PM   #5
Keith Rogan

Jim,

This is an original carbine, not a cut-down version or a fake. I had researched it when I picked it up some years ago.

On the left receiver: "Model 1898, US Springfield Armory" Serial #89988

Its not in great shape, some wear on the reciever, etc. It shoots well. I'd just like to find the original sights and restore it.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old July 15, 1999, 03:47 PM   #6
ursus

Mr. Nolden,

I came across a Krag with a cracked stock and
front sight blade missing. The bluing was pretty much gone, but it appeared mechanically sound. Tag on it was $190.00. Is
it worth it?
Old July 15, 1999, 05:01 PM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

USRS:
IT'S WORTH IT

hjn
Old July 15, 1999, 05:21 PM   #8
ursus

Thank you sir. Can it be restored without making it less than the $190 in the shape that it is in?
Old July 15, 1999, 05:40 PM   #9
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

usrus
If you can repair the stock, or replace it with an original, you will not deter the value. Clean it up, replacing with original parts can only enhance the value.

Considering the mechanical condition, and appearance will also enhance the value. I kind of like the "not so blued" finish on an old gun, it shows it has been used.
HJN
Old July 18, 1999, 02:33 PM   #10
m4a

What is a reasonable price for an intact Krag, i.e. good bluing, stock in good shape and smooth action.
Old July 18, 1999, 03:15 PM   #11
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

M4A:
It will depend upon which Krag you have. they were made at different years etc and therefor will attract a different price. Do you have one? If so get the infor off from the iron and stock, send it, and we;ll be able to help.

HJN
Old July 20, 1999, 07:26 AM   #12
T-Rex

I have an old long Krag with a broken stock. Does anyone know where I could find an original replacement and what the valuue of such a rifle might be? The rest of the rifle is in good shape.
Old July 22, 1999, 11:47 PM   #13
ursus

SNOOZE YOU LOSE!!!! Ilearned a valuable lesson. If you see something you like, but don't know enough about it, and it seems like a reasonable price.....BUY IT!!! I was burned. After I asked about info on the Krag, I went back and...SON OF A.. it was gone. Sir, can you point a pin head in the right direction for sources of Krags and parts?
Pardon my ignorance,and thank you in advance.
Old July 23, 1999, 02:24 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi Keith,

Something not right there. That serial # is way too low for a Model 1898. Check with a magnifier or look to see if the receiver has the bolt handle seat; this looks like a steel "U" around the bolt handle. The 1896 has it, the 1898 does not.

I think you have a Model 1896 carbine (which should have the sling ring in the left side of the stock).

If so, the correct sight would be the 1896 Carbine sight. I don't know of any source sure to have them but you might try S&S Firearms, 74-11 Myrtle AVe., Glendale, NY 11385, Phone 718-497-1100. They have many Krag parts, most original. Their catalog does not list carbine sights, but a call might be worthwhile. Gun shows are often a good source if you know what you are looking for. Your carbine should have the right handguard for the 1896 sight as well as the sight protector band.

You mention sling swivels being missing but carbines did not have sling swivels. The 1892-1898 carbines had the sling ring; later ones had no sling attachment. They were meant to be carried in a saddle boot, not on the cavalryman's person.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited July 23, 1999).]
Old December 19, 2004, 12:54 AM   #15
searching178

question

Hi I was reading threw the forum on 30-40 Krag’s and was wondering if some one might be able to help me out. I was wondering if you might know where I could look up the history of my gun, It’s a model 1898 30-40 Krag. If I am reading the right number, the serial # is 487882 it's in decent condition and is all original. Any way I was just hoping some one might be able to point me in the right direction. if it would help any I have some pictures of it.
Old December 11, 2006, 01:20 AM   #16
j&Sguns

Springfield Armory Model 1898 30-40 Krag

I need some help please....A customer of mine has brought in a Springfield Armory Model 1898 30-40 Krag that he wants me to sell for him. I do not have any idea how to price this to sell.

This rifle has a 30" barrel witht he side load magazine and with a blade front sight. The rear sight has been removed and the barrel has been tapped for a scope. The bore is good and rifling is in good shape. No rust or pitting. It is missing some bluing. The original stock has been replaced. Sling swivels are present. The rifle is functional and would make a good hunting rifle. The serial number is 171874.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!