The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 22, 2015, 09:16 AM   #1
motard

Turning out a very bad shooter

I often got good groups from my 1943 Carl Gustaf, say around 3cm at 150 mt with metallic aims and my 63 years old eyes (no rest only a front sandbag). Yesterday suddenly I experienced a total inconsistency. Only element changed in reloading where bullets. Cause a shortage I had to buy Strela S&B Fmj 140 instead of Sierra match king (same grains). This rounds are about 2mm shorter than Sierra. Today I did rework loads starting from previous 42,2 gr of Vh N160 and ending at 43,7. With higher loads and a coal near to the sierra 78mm I had 4 rounds in the same hole and some closer spread. But I am still concerned about throat of rifle. Slugging the barrel I obtained .2657 dia but felt as all resistance was at the muzzle and way more space on the breech side. Any suggestion for checking deeper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65468.jpg (43.3 KB, 68 views)
Old August 22, 2015, 06:36 PM   #2
stubbicatt

Rifle barrels wear out with use. It is a wearing part, and must be changed from time to time to retain good accuracy.

It seems yours is doing just fine. At some point, most likely, it will become inaccurate, and need a new barrel.

Other than a bore scope to check the condition of the barrel, I have no suggestions, and know of no means of getting a good picture of the bore condition.
Old August 22, 2015, 10:07 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

If you have a load that shoots to your satisfaction in your rifle then all is well. When it won't shoot to your satisfaction anymore, you can try to develop another load that will make you happy or you can rebarrel or get a new rifle.

I wouldn't worry about it until you start having trouble finding a load that will shoot accurately.
Old August 23, 2015, 02:13 AM   #4
motard

Hi I am aware of barrel wearing and with a rather fast caliper as the swede it may occours in a few tousands rounds. Matter is that rebarreling is difficoult and costly here in Italy. The rifle must be resend to the national test harbour and barrel marked with the numbers. At the end of the job I would likely spend 900 usd on a 600 rifle. Not worth . But the thing that really bother me would be the rifle not beeing any more the original with the husquarna made barrel. I have ispected the rifles myself and it seems are still in good shape (sharp enaught). I also know that this doesent mean very much having personally seen at my range a very good shotter placing one round into the previous hole with a C.G. weared at the point that rifles could'n bee seen anymore with man's eyes. Carl Gustafmy misteryes. Waiting for the gunsmith to come back from his holydays I am considering going to cast lead bulletts: leading is something I can manage better than wearing. Any experience?
Old August 23, 2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Metal god

Quote:
Yesterday suddenly I experienced a total inconsistency. Only element changed in reloading where bullets. Cause a shortage I had to buy Strela S&B Fmj 140 instead of Sierra match king
Am I the only one that thinks this is the problem ? I would never expect a standard FMJ bullet to shoot as well as a Sierra match king . Especially if I already have a great load worked up for the SMK .

I'm pretty confident I could go look at my notes and see many different projectiles at close to same weights using the same charge having wildly different group sizes and POI .

Did you check the diameter of the S&B bullets . Maybe they're a little smaller

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 23, 2015, 07:32 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Ammo preferences can make a huge difference. I have a Swedish Mauser that will group Swedish surplus under an inch and will shoot Winchester & PMC FMJ loadings into 2-3 inches at 100 yards. The only Remington loading I fired in it wouldn't hold 12" groups at that distance. You just never know.
Old August 24, 2015, 12:47 PM   #7
motard

Hi metal gold, I cannto be shure because I have no sierra anymore. From what I recall the lenght was very different: being the Strela way shorter and having so less bearing surface.
Old August 24, 2015, 01:36 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

3cm at 150m is highly unusual for a 72 year old milsurp. (That's 1.2" at 164 yards for the metrically challenged. snicker.) It'd be highly unusual for a new hunting rifle.
Your Carl G just doesn't like S&B bullets or the new load.