The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1
hodaka

Yahoo! 8# 's of Bullseye

Never used it before but at least I'm not resorting to Pyrodex. Working up a 9mm load now with .38 and .45 to come next. My powders are 231/HP-38 and Unique but I have not seen them in months. Lucked into the Bullseye locally. Is it really as dirty as I have heard? Unique is not particularly dirty in my opinion.

Last edited by hodaka; June 15, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old June 15, 2014, 05:48 PM   #2
WelshShooter

I use bullseye for my .38spl and .357mag lead rounds in my Marlin 1894C. I find that the .38s have sooting around the case mouth but the .357mag doesn't. No experience with 9mm sorry.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 27, 2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: sooting
Old June 15, 2014, 07:30 PM   #3
chris in va

Bullseye was the original GI 45acp powder, if that means anything.
Old June 15, 2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Marco Califo

9mm Luger
124 gr Speer GDHP
Minimum OAL (inches) Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight (grains) Velocity (fps)
1.12 4 CCI 500 Bullseye 4.4 1,059

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...23&bulletid=26

8 lbs X 7000 grs / 4.4 per yields over 12,700 cartridges.

I like Bullseye. Power Pistol is better for hotter loads. Keep those and a pound each of Unique and Blue dot and you can load for about any handgun.
Old June 16, 2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

Lots of experience with Bullseye

First of all, if I were so fortunate to cross paths with a #8 of Bullseye, not only would I post it here in celebration, but I'd be dancing in the streets - and lord knows, I don't dance. It is my most used powder, and I am completely out (a summer's worth of ammo loaded with it though).

Bullseye is . . . how should I say . . . "residuey." It virtually always burns completely (one of its best attributes), but it leaves behind an extremely fine, somewhat "oily" (for lack of a better description) soot. It's messy, but it does not impair gun function and cleans right away with solvent. I shoot revolver, so it gets on my hands too. It washes right off.

Bullseye is excellent in both 9mm Luger and 45ACP. The 230g RN with 5-ish grains of Bullseye (not a load recommendation) under it is probably one of the most handloaded combinations ever. It is also very popular with a 115g slug in 9mm. I don't load a lot of 9mm, but have had excellent results with B'eye under a 115g FMJ. So yes, it's a great powder with both.

With Bullseye, some principles need to be understood - and obeyed. It has a steep pressure curve; and the heavier the bullet, the steeper the curve. But it is this steep pressure curve that also give it its consistent results. The 45ACP 230/Bullseye combo is well known for its outstanding consistency. But that same combo can easily get one into trouble by trying to "improve" it by adding more powder. Bullseye doesn't play well that way.

Bullseye is a target powder. It is for making consistent target/general purpose (I dislike the term "plinker") rounds. And it performs that duty perhaps better than any other. But it is what it is. And what it's not is a slow burning high velocity propellant.

No doubt, someone will post how they're defense load is getting umpteen-hundred fps with Bullseye; and that's all well and good. Fair enough. But my 30 years' experience is suggesting to use it for its intended purpose - target loads. And if you do that, you'll be quite pleased with its performance, albeit a little "residuey".
Old June 16, 2014, 10:57 AM   #6
coldbeer

8 lbs of Bullseye should last you a little while. Wish I had some Bullseye or Unique or titegroup or just about a half dozen other powders I haven't been able to find in over a year.
Old June 16, 2014, 07:59 PM   #7
hodaka

Thanks guys. I loaded up 100 124 gr 9's with 4.1 gr. Will give them a try this weekend. I'm dancing and I can't dance either.
Old June 17, 2014, 02:13 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Yahoo! 8# 's of Bullseye
Never used it before but at least I'm not resorting to Pyrodex. Working up a 9mm load now with .38 and .45 to come next.
.45 ACP with Pyrodex is do-able. (I have done it.) It's a hoot. Smoke! Sparks!

.38 with Pyrodex is amusing.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; June 20, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old June 20, 2014, 09:26 AM   #9
FreedomUIC

I was lucky and stumbled upon 4 lbs. of Tite Group about a month ago and the lady told me she was expecting more next week. Guess where I am going on Monday!
Old June 20, 2014, 10:55 PM   #10
MarkDozier

Freedom, where you located?
Old June 21, 2014, 12:24 AM   #11
zxcvbob

I'm pretty sure you can load any handgun cartridge with Bullseye; it is almost as versatile as Unique. I use it mostly in 9mm, and I load them kind of hot but they don't have to be. It also works extremely well in .38 Specials.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:57 AM   #12
A pause for the COZ

I am down to my last pound of Bullseye. I use it in all most all my pistol loads.
The only one I dont is a 38 special load I do for my Rossi M92 carbine.
I have a great Herco load for that.

never thought I would get nervous about ever running out of Bullseye.
Guess I was wrong.

I can get by with Reddot and Unique. But I use Bullseye for a reason.
Old June 21, 2014, 12:04 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

I am completely out of Bullseye.

But, I have enough rounds loaded with it to last the season. I also have a little W231 and AA2, and they're great. But I'd sure like to run into some Bullseye about now.
Old June 21, 2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Nick_C_S

Quote:
It also works extremely well in .38 Specials.
Yes indeed. Maybe an understatement.

Bullseye almost always burns completely - seemingly without regard to case space. And that is an excellent attribute to have when it's going into a cavernous 38 Special case.
Old June 23, 2014, 11:16 PM   #15
oldreloader

Bullseye and HP38 are my two favorite powders for 9MM and 45 ACP. I'll take what I can get of either if I'm low on supply!
Old June 24, 2014, 05:31 AM   #16
FreedomUIC

Quote:
Freedom, where you located?
In SW Florida. The gun show was this past weekend and true to her word she had five pounds of Titegroup for me. I now have 9lbs and that should last
me for quite some time.
Old June 27, 2014, 04:14 PM   #17
Nick_C_S

Powder Update

I waited for my LGS's doors to open this morning to see what was in their weekly powder shipment - as I do every Friday.

A smattering of rifle powder - about 10 1Lb's of IMR-4064; and a couple others (I don't load rifle, so I don't know their names very well); and for pistol, nothing but a couple big jugs (5 Lb? 8 Lb?) of 800X - useless.

Right now, things are far worse than this time last year. At least last year I was getting a couple Lbs here and a couple Lbs there.